Q: Ford 18" Titanium vs 18" ST (wheel)? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~dodge View Post
http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
i've been educating myself w/more info on this topic. & after reading thru some of the calculations etc. linked above, guess enkeis numbers are indeed a bit generous.
appreciate your patience regarding the discussion. it's something i'm obviously pretty passionate about. have been studying inertia & wheel weight since a child bmx racer & am always looking for any advantage against competition.
The link above is the best online estimator out there IMO.

Sometimes I wonder if the enkei numbers were originally calculated per 4 wheels/entire vehicle and then somebody erroneously multiplied the savings again by 4 wheels. They are pretty much off by a factor of 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
Hempster
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29310
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 3 Hempster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST 2K5 View Post
Wow its amazing to me how many people race professionally here.. worrying how to shave off a few pounds just to cut those extra all important milliseconds..
...and then put "all-seasons" on?
What's up with that?
CD Silver 02 SVTF, #1336 - R.I.P.

"Brace for the G's, and fast heel-toe work!"- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
~dodge
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120453
What I Drive: 14 ox white st3 202a 07cbr6rr 89mr2

FF Reputation: 1 ~dodge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
The link above is the best online estimator out there IMO.

Sometimes I wonder if the enkei numbers were originally calculated per 4 wheels/entire vehicle and then somebody erroneously multiplied the savings again by 4 wheels. They are pretty much off by a factor of 4.
you know, now that would make a LOT of sense & i think you're right. wonder if anyone else has ever mentioned anything to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempster View Post
...and then put "all-seasons" on?
What's up with that?
the all seasons are due to dealing w/everyday to day driving in the part of u.s. i live. also kumho ecsta 4x only weigh 20lbs a tyre. that's actually pretty light considering the size & it's versatility.

......can't stop stupid sir; i can only slow it down....
Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~dodge View Post
you know, now that would make a LOT of sense & i think you're right. wonder if anyone else has ever mentioned anything to them.

the all seasons are due to dealing w/everyday to day driving in the part of u.s. i live. also kumho ecsta 4x only weigh 20lbs a tyre. that's actually pretty light considering the size & it's versatility.
The point is that you're worrying about such minuscule gains while running tires that don't grip nearly well enough to allow the lost weight to make a difference.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
~dodge
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120453
What I Drive: 14 ox white st3 202a 07cbr6rr 89mr2

FF Reputation: 1 ~dodge Good Standing Member
Exclamation ))))25% weight reduction((((

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
The point is that you're worrying about such minuscule gains while running tires that don't grip nearly well enough to allow the lost weight to make a difference.
i doubt many would consider a 25% weight reduction miniscule. so, you weigh 200lbs & lose 50; that'd be considered minor weight loss???? more weight=increased rolling resistance

strongly recommend this modification as it will easily pay for itself after
'x' amount of miles, due to the 3-4 more mpg, you'll gain @ freeway speeds. when i did a similar modification to an older car it ended up saving me an entire tank of fuel every 700 miles. that's around 35-40$ every 700 miles that i'd prefer to keep or spend elsewhere

lightening your wheels & tyres is another method of reducing fly-wheel weight w/out the massive expense of the part & install of said part. & i assure you, my summer tyre & wheel set up will be putting just as much rubber to the road ie equal sized contact patch as oem w/tyres having exact traction & tread-wear rating; but weighing potentially more than 25% less. my other replies were mostly regarding my winter wheel & tyre set up. (it's 13 1/2 lbs lighter than oem that's 27% decrease) had i purchased similar 'non-studded' snow tyres for the oem 18x8" wheel it would of cost another 400$+ over current winter set up & have the oem wheels & tyres available for re-sell oem ST tyres are NOT recommended or very usable, in 40f or lower temps so 1st major expense for winter driving, will be a proper winter tyre set up, if you just bought a car w/eagle F1 tyres installed.

efforts of en-lightening-ment

......can't stop stupid sir; i can only slow it down....
Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #26
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Found this article on Car and Driver....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

I had a 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT that came with 215/65-17 on 5 spoke alloy wheels. I bought a set of the 18" alloy wheels that came on the R/T's with 225/60-18's and used them in the summer. Mpg loss with the 18's was 1 mpg. The speedometer difference was within 1 mph. I believe the mpg loss was more from the wider tire (larger contact patch = increased rolling resistance) than any extra weight.

You might cut a couple 10ths of a sec off 0-60 mph and in the 1/4 mile by going to a (much) lighter wheel, but it's not going to be seconds. No way. You could make your ST faster by going to a thinner tire, but then you would lose cornering performance. Best thing to do is simply make sure you are not carrying any extra stuff (weight) you don't need in the trunk or in the car.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
Zokambaa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119300
Location: Calgary... (that other place in Canuckland), Canada
What I Drive: 2014 TS Focus ST (Built 27.08.2013)

FF Reputation: 1 Zokambaa Good Standing Member
as long as I get 350km on a tank of gas around I couldn't really care less if I hit 400km then that is good too... I went to 17" winter rims which comparatively feel lighter (did not get exact weight) but they feel a bit lighter than the stockers... if anything I am getting more poor gas mileage than on my summers... perhaps the climate makes a difference since the sub freezing temps lately do rather suck...

But really though... why are people really all that worried about gas mileage on "performance" vehicles? You can drive like a granny on poor handling tires and get a bit more mileage... but what is the point in that? I saved about 4 or 5 bucks on a tank of gas... but I'd pay that 4 or 5 bucks for the enjoyment factor of driving the car in a fashion that it was designed for... if I cared for mileage and granny driving I'd get the base non ST focus instead.

Bookmarks & Social Networks