03 SVTF Fuel Economy Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112746
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT ZX5

Points 410, Level 8
Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Mike O Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
03 SVTF Fuel Economy Question

I've had my 03 SVTF since May of this year. Have put about 7000 miles on it so far and they have all been a blast.

The car has new Summit wires, SP463 plugs, Ford PVC, refreshed stock K&N filter, fresh Mobil 1 oil and filter, tires are true and flat and inflated properly, alignment is straight.

I've been getting around 20 MPG with mostly spirited driving since I got it. It's hard to keep my foot out of it. After I had a new clutch put in around Labor Day I was getting 21-22 mpg. I believe the dealer may have reflashed the tune or it reset due to the battery being disconnected. I'm just trying to rationalize why it would increase due to having the clutch replaced.

Several weeks ago I was reading on the group here about how keeping the MAF sensor clean can help to keep your mpg's up. Cleaning the MAF is something I had not done yet so I jumped right on it. The car drove notably stronger. I could sense an improvement in just the way the engine note sounded. With spirited driving I got 25 mpg on the very next tank of gas.

Here's my problem. Since that first tank of gas after the MAF cleaning I'm back down to 20 mpg and am scratching my head for what may be going on.

Did cleaning the MAF actually do anything for me? Or was it coincidence that something else might have been responsible for the improved mileage? Does disconnecting the battery like I did when I cleaned the MAF cause the computer to have to relearn the setup and that could have been what happened?

Is it possible the MAF may have failed to some degree right after the cleaning and needs replacing? Is there any way to test it? Car has 96,000 miles on the clock and I'm sure the MAF is original.

I was elated when the car started running better and getting better mileage after the MAF cleaning, even though 25 mpg isn't the best, it's a lot better than I was getting and would like to get back there at the very least.

Thanks for any input.

Mike O.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
When your MAF sensor goes out you will know. Your car will run horrible, Sometimes I get better gas mileage then others. It all really depends on the weather, The wind could of been blowing and pushing your car, maybe that's why you got that 25mpg. I was getting 18mpg around the city had new clutch, oil change, new tires, alignment.
Now in the city I get 20-21 without even trying, turned out to be a faulty thermostat. Instead of getting 27-28 in highway I now get 33-34. I doubt you damage your MAF, you could always change it though if you want.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
SquiresSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103075
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 SquiresSVT Good Standing Member
I consistently got 21-23 mpg with spirited driving and 50/50 highway and city traffic commuting. On a couple road trips with some fast highway speeds I averaged around 28.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
jwgstang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116398
What I Drive: 04 Sonic Blue Focus SVT

Points 1,278, Level 19
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jwgstang Good Standing Member
im right there with you mines freshly rebuilt and it has horrible gas mileage but it doesnt bother me cuz its an svt its no made for fuel economy its meant for the track+
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112746
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT ZX5

Points 410, Level 8
Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Mike O Good Standing Member
But I've seen it get better than 20 mpg. All I would like to see is better.

Even my '98 Trans Am WS6 gets 16 mpg. I'd like to think the SVT should do better than 20.

Mike O.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
20 is the average for just straight out city driving. Sounds like your enjoying your car and thats all that matters. I mean you could look on the forums on way to improve MPG. Most likely you'll need a custom tune and I heard a new coil pack makes a difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks