E85 vs 93 octane - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
My opinion is stay away from the e85 if your using it for performance , the loss of mpg in most cases makes it very close to the cost of 92-93

The octane is unregulated so it is all over the place from one fill to another , do a lot of reading and understanding before you for your own decision

I wont use the stuff

Tom
No offense but every tuning segment except for the Focus community (specifically this forum) has embraced E85 as an amazing way to make power. Vette, Camaro, Challenger, Subaru, Evo, Mustang, all of them.

Ethanol may not have higher octane (which is BS, it does, 99% of tuners and shops agree), BUT what it does do is reduce detonation and allow you to run more timing, making more power. Also it runs cooler. It may be 30% less efficient. However, in my area, E85 is 2.19 a gallon, 93 is 3.39.

FWIW, my car made 326/337 at 18psi on 93. I swapped to E85 and make 359/391 on 18psi. Same car, no different mods. Only change was fuel.

I just don't understand why this community hasn't embraced it. Most tuners will tune an E85 car conservatively for the fluctuation in fuel (which is majorly the same in most areas, fill up at the same station and it's usually the same. my local station has been +/- 2 over a year, including winter blend and summer blend. never dipped below E84.). They are usually more conservative with E85 than 93 and it still makes more power.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
UPDATE: ran 120 miles on e85 and the car had some hard starting issues and also some pinging at low rpms and was pulling timing over 4.5k. Either my e85 stock tune is bad or the gas was bad but i went and filled up 6.5 gallons of 93e0 v power from shell and the car is back to running great after few miles. With still having almost half a tank of e85. I think i will stick to 93 at shell even tho it is 4.49 per gallon. My car seems to love it. No more e85 for me. By the way its 10ºF here and i averaged 17 mpg all city with e85 and right after i put 93 i reset the mpg and for the 15 miles i drove today i am averaging 23 mpg all city driving so far. I wish shell gas was not so exp ughh i think its because its e0.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
Baddog671
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119528
What I Drive: 2014 Blue SE sedan, auto

FF Reputation: 1 Baddog671 Good Standing Member
I wish I had the option of ethanol-free gasoline, but they are ALL 10% in a 100mi radius of my area.

With all this talk of high octane gasoline vs. e15/e30/e85/e100, can I mention methanol without getting a lashing?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
No offense but every tuning segment except for the Focus community (specifically this forum) has embraced E85 as an amazing way to make power. Vette, Camaro, Challenger, Subaru, Evo, Mustang, all of them.
No offense taken , and not every tuner segment uses e85 , many guys that boast about it when they blow an engine they dont say anything about it much like a few in the Focus community that havent said anything running it that things went south

For every tuner you say uses it I can name one that wont , every car you say runs great on it I can show one that ran great for months then blew up for no reason other then he got some crap e85 which if you read in my main complaint
Quote:
Ethanol may not have higher octane (which is BS, it does, 99% of tuners and shops agree), BUT what it does do is reduce detonation and allow you to run more timing, making more power. Also it runs cooler. It may be 30% less efficient. However, in my area, E85 is 2.19 a gallon, 93 is 3.39.
METHANOL does have higher octane , its the e85 sold at the pumps that in every case I have tested it fell far short of the octane e85 should have and changed from load to load , The E85 I tested from VP Fuels I would run all day long in my car and have tested it in my car
Quote:
FWIW, my car made 326/337 at 18psi on 93. I swapped to E85 and make 359/391 on 18psi. Same car, no different mods. Only change was fuel.
Again never said it wouldnt make more power
[QUOTE=besthaticouldo;5072674]
I just don't understand why this community hasn't embraced it.
Quote:
How did e85 work for this Focus community member ????????

UPDATE: ran 120 miles on e85 and the car had some hard starting issues and also some pinging at low rpms and was pulling timing over 4.5k. Either my e85 stock tune is bad or the gas was bad but i went and filled up 6.5 gallons of 93e0 v power from shell and the car is back to running great after few miles. With still having almost half a tank of e85. I think i will stick to 93 at shell even tho it is 4.49 per gallon. My car seems to love it. No more e85 for me. By the way its 10ºF here and i averaged 17 mpg all city with e85 and right after i put 93 i reset the mpg and for the 15 miles i drove today i am averaging 23 mpg all city driving so far. I wish shell gas was not so exp ughh i think its because its e0.

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #35
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Yeah not sure if the e85 I used was bad but my car ended up not running right. I will say for the first 30-40 miles it did drive fine but then started having issues. Probably took some time for the car to figure out that I am usi g wrong fuel, not sure but I am not trying it again. Tom you were right.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
E85 should give more power but less mpg. There is less energy content in a gallon of ethanol than gasoline and the difference is right at a third so E85 should give about 29% less mpg than E0 and about 26% versus E10.

OTH, ethanol provides oxygen much as nitrous or turbos do so it can make more power. The ability to advance the timing somewhat may have some effect as well, but with direct injection I don't know that the effect would be very much.

So, as long as the car properly adjusts the fuel mixture running E85 should give you a power boost over any gasoline including 93 octane.

Now, the only ethanol I have in my car is the 10% stuff that comes out of most pumps.

Brian
Old 12-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #37
subcook30
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116989
What I Drive: 2013, Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 subcook30 Good Standing Member
E-85

My Focus seemed to be a little lighter on it's feet at low revs. I evaluated three tanks of e85 and from take offs at light it certainly was slightly nimbler, however I notice a dramatic decrease in my fuel efficiency and for me not worth it at all.

Bookmarks & Social Networks