Anyone tried E85 yet? - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #101
BoostedFord
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95085
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 BoostedFord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Finding a gas station close by that stays pretty consistent is ur best bet if ur gonna do it and be conservative about it also if u do ur playing with something that one other focus has done and failed to my knowledge i was going to till my track car blew to bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosted Zx3 @ 20psi spinnin 327whp
"cant find em grind em"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #102
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Cobb is doing it with good success as well as another guy from the MS3 world called freektune. They are only able to do a 30% E85/pump gas mix because the fuel system doesn't have the capacity on the high pressure side.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #103
RS-wagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2598
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 RS-wagon Good Standing Member
Why would anyone void there warranty and damage there engine by using e85

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocrossing is for fast drivers
Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #104
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-wagon View Post
Why would anyone void there warranty and damage there engine by using e85
Not much of a car guy are you. Warranties mean very little to people like me, because I can repair or replace anything on any car. The only consideration is money. If it is a really expensive gamble, I might think about it or not do it at certain times, but if I want it, I'll save up and go for it.

Examples: My 2002 SS had a cam, springs, pushrods, headers, intake and tune long before the factory 3/36 warranty was up. My SRT-4 had so many bolt ons and was making almost 150% more horsepower than stock long before warranty was up (on E85 too).

You guys ought to get out more really. This is the only forum where E85 is the devil.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #105
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
You guys ought to get out more really. This is the only forum where E85 is the devil.

Not everyone is against it FWIW. It's just there are very few of us using it. And the thing you'll learn very quickly in the Focus world is that everyone is a broke-ass. Meaning that if it costs any money, it's wrong.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #106
iminhell
C2H5OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I would use caution with those thinking of using e85 in the ST

e85 isnt known for its octane but for its effects on cooling the air thus lowering the chance of knock , problem is the fuel is now sprayed directly on top of the pistons being direct injection at over 900psi now you dont have the time for cooling the air as much as you did when spraying into the valves + the 30% more needed fuel , the ecu can adjust for this but?

Tom

Wrong. Dead wrong.

Preignition is based on 1 thing and 1 thing only, heat.
The "Knock Index" is a reflection of the amount of heat a fuel absorbs before is self ignites, or autoignition.
Now if we look at the autoignition temp for each, click me we see that Ethanol is 689*F and Gasoline is 536*F. Which by my math means Ethanol is 153*F higher than gas.
Now granted that headroom is decreased the more Ethanol is diluted. But it still can not fall below that of Gasoline. Which also means any Ethanol blend should have a higher preignition resistance that any Gasoline.

Bear in mind I'm not talking Knock. That is something entirely different. Knock is an ignition timing issue and generally solvable by adjusting the ignition timing. It is a spark issue due to the fuel used, not an issue with the fuel.

Quote:
Right off the bat who ever posted that is off a little , C16 = 116 fuel

No contact who makes E85 and ask them the octane rating of at the pump e85 it wont be a motor octane of 94 or even close to a 104 octane

It amazes me people think that e85 has a high octane fuel

Tom

E-85 is so easy to work with it amazes me that you've blown engine up on the stuff.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #107
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Wrong. Dead wrong. Actually wasnt wrong in what I said if you read it again I wasnt talking about heat and fuel absorption

E-85 is so easy to work with it amazes me that you've blown engine up on the stuff.
I havent actually blown an engine , my customers have that I have tuned or built engines for but thats after anywhere from 5 to 15 tanks of fuel and then for no reason there is rod bearings knocked out and ring glands broke and all from poor quality unregulated fuel , read the comments on the Focus bord on how bad cars run running it , its a crap fuel

VPe85 is a great fuel and I love it but one drum to another is controlled and its the same each time

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #108
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97166
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
E85 is very hard on engine oil and engine oil drain intervals, (per the Ford owners manual), need to be cut in half when using E85. For starters, anything that compromises the performance of the engine oil is not good for the engine and secondly, changing oil twice as often gets expensive.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #109
iminhell
C2H5OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
E85 is very hard on engine oil and engine oil drain intervals, (per the Ford owners manual), need to be cut in half when using E85. For starters, anything that compromises the performance of the engine oil is not good for the engine and secondly, changing oil twice as often gets expensive.

I didn't look at every year's manuals but, for the 2000-2002 there is no mention of any oil change alterations based on fuel. Also for the 2012-there are no changes for fuel.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../12focog5e.pdf <--2012 owners manual

I'd really like to know where your info came from, I can't find it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #110
RS-wagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2598
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 RS-wagon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Not much of a car guy are you. Warranties mean very little to people like me, because I can repair or replace anything on any car. The only consideration is money. If it is a really expensive gamble, I might think about it or not do it at certain times, but if I want it, I'll save up and go for it.

Examples: My 2002 SS had a cam, springs, pushrods, headers, intake and tune long before the factory 3/36 warranty was up. My SRT-4 had so many bolt ons and was making almost 150% more horsepower than stock long before warranty was up (on E85 too).

I think I have been into cars since before you where born! You may but I don't have the disposable income to destroy a $30K car. Plus If E85 was so great for performance I think that Ford would have tested it. I do think they have more money for R&D than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Wrong. Dead wrong.

Preignition is based on 1 thing and 1 thing only, heat.
The "Knock Index" is a reflection of the amount of heat a fuel absorbs before is self ignites, or autoignition.
Now if we look at the autoignition temp for each, click me we see that Ethanol is 689*F and Gasoline is 536*F. Which by my math means Ethanol is 153*F higher than gas.
Now granted that headroom is decreased the more Ethanol is diluted. But it still can not fall below that of Gasoline. Which also means any Ethanol blend should have a higher preignition resistance that any Gasoline.

Bear in mind I'm not talking Knock. That is something entirely different. Knock is an ignition timing issue and generally solvable by adjusting the ignition timing. It is a spark issue due to the fuel used, not an issue with the fuel.

Quote:
I havent actually blown an engine , my customers have that I have tuned or built engines for but thats after anywhere from 5 to 15 tanks of fuel and then for no reason there is rod bearings knocked out and ring glands broke and all from poor quality unregulated fuel , read the comments on the Focus bord on how bad cars run running it , its a crap fuel

VPe85 is a great fuel and I love it but one drum to another is controlled and its the same each time

Tom
I am more inclined to listen to what Tom is saying vs others. He has the experience in building hella powerful Focus'

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocrossing is for fast drivers

Bookmarks & Social Networks