Pfi - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Jaydood
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 123785
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus Se

FF Reputation: 1 Jaydood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pfi

I know this is the wrong place to probably post this, but I really am wondering if anyone knows anything about the PFI engine? I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se PFI SOHC and really just want to know the general consensus on this motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydood View Post
I know this is the wrong place to probably post this, but I really am wondering if anyone knows anything about the PFI engine? I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se PFI SOHC and really just want to know the general consensus on this motor.
Never heard of a PFI motor.

Only engines available for 2000 Focus in North America was the Zetec, and the SPI. If your engine is SOHC, it is the SPI. Zetec was DOHC.

As far as general consensus, the SPI is a strong, reliable motor with one fatal flaw. Look at the threads about dropped valve seats for info. But with a remanufactured head, the SPI is bulletproof. It also had better gas milage from the factory.

The zetec is generally preferred on here because it had more base HP, and better aftermarket support.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Jaydood
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 123785
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus Se

FF Reputation: 1 Jaydood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
Never heard of a PFI motor.

Only engines available for 2000 Focus in North America was the Zetec, and the SPI. If your engine is SOHC, it is the SPI. Zetec was DOHC.

As far as general consensus, the SPI is a strong, reliable motor with one fatal flaw. Look at the threads about dropped valve seats for info. But with a remanufactured head, the SPI is bulletproof. It also had better gas milage from the factory.

The zetec is generally preferred on here because it had more base HP, and better aftermarket support.
This is strange, on my carfax it says I have a port fuel injection model. Oh well I heard its almost inevitable that the valves drop. When is rough estimate for failure?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydood View Post
This is strange, on my carfax it says I have a port fuel injection model. Oh well I heard its almost inevitable that the valves drop. When is rough estimate for failure?
Should say split-port fuel injection. Hence the SPI moniker.

As far as milage, that varies widely, probably due to many factors including how well the vehicle has been cared for, how hard it has been driven, climate, who knows what else....

The best place I have seen milage listed is here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=42 It is a long thread, but there is some useful information.

I havent read all the way through the thread in a while, but IIRC, it seems like the majority of failures happen in the 115-150k range. But some as early as 80k, some as late as 200k.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->