Pfi - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Jaydood
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 123785
Location: Bassetr, VA
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus Se

Posts: 4
FF Reputation: 1 Jaydood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pfi

I know this is the wrong place to probably post this, but I really am wondering if anyone knows anything about the PFI engine? I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se PFI SOHC and really just want to know the general consensus on this motor.


Jaydood is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn
 
crazy_urn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Fan#: 1986
Location: Uncharted Waters, CO
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

Posts: 5,492
FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydood View Post
I know this is the wrong place to probably post this, but I really am wondering if anyone knows anything about the PFI engine? I have a 2000 Ford Focus Se PFI SOHC and really just want to know the general consensus on this motor.
Never heard of a PFI motor.

Only engines available for 2000 Focus in North America was the Zetec, and the SPI. If your engine is SOHC, it is the SPI. Zetec was DOHC.

As far as general consensus, the SPI is a strong, reliable motor with one fatal flaw. Look at the threads about dropped valve seats for info. But with a remanufactured head, the SPI is bulletproof. It also had better gas milage from the factory.

The zetec is generally preferred on here because it had more base HP, and better aftermarket support.
__________________
Defending the reputation of the red-headed step-child of the focus world for far too long.
crazy_urn is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Jaydood
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Fan#: 123785
Location: Bassetr, VA
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus Se

Posts: 4
FF Reputation: 1 Jaydood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
Never heard of a PFI motor.

Only engines available for 2000 Focus in North America was the Zetec, and the SPI. If your engine is SOHC, it is the SPI. Zetec was DOHC.

As far as general consensus, the SPI is a strong, reliable motor with one fatal flaw. Look at the threads about dropped valve seats for info. But with a remanufactured head, the SPI is bulletproof. It also had better gas milage from the factory.

The zetec is generally preferred on here because it had more base HP, and better aftermarket support.
This is strange, on my carfax it says I have a port fuel injection model. Oh well I heard its almost inevitable that the valves drop. When is rough estimate for failure?
Jaydood is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn
 
crazy_urn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Fan#: 1986
Location: Uncharted Waters, CO
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

Posts: 5,492
FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydood View Post
This is strange, on my carfax it says I have a port fuel injection model. Oh well I heard its almost inevitable that the valves drop. When is rough estimate for failure?
Should say split-port fuel injection. Hence the SPI moniker.

As far as milage, that varies widely, probably due to many factors including how well the vehicle has been cared for, how hard it has been driven, climate, who knows what else....

The best place I have seen milage listed is here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=42 It is a long thread, but there is some useful information.

I havent read all the way through the thread in a while, but IIRC, it seems like the majority of failures happen in the 115-150k range. But some as early as 80k, some as late as 200k.
__________________
Defending the reputation of the red-headed step-child of the focus world for far too long.
crazy_urn is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.