Just replaced my factory tires (17" conti's) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

FF Reputation: 7 wavsine Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffero28 View Post
42k not awful but not good either. Honestly the treads were at replacement level at about 36k. Just didn't have the funds at that time to get new ones.
Remember to always ask for a proration on tires that show the tread wear indicators before the mileage warranty on the tires has expired.

Discount Tire always gives me credit and a discount because my tires rarely last through the entire warranty period. But you have to ask or you may not get the prorate credit.

Synthetic oil in GDI engines
www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Remember to always ask for a proration on tires that show the tread wear indicators before the mileage warranty on the tires has expired.

Discount Tire always gives me credit and a discount because my tires rarely last through the entire warranty period. But you have to ask or you may not get the prorate credit.

This!

Anytime you buy a tire and it's worn out before what it's rated you can get them to prorate the tires. They have a equation they use to figure out how long the tire should have lasted vs what it did, then they give that off of the next set of tires.

Now they will try at all cost to deny doing this. My tire dealer said I abused the tires cause I had rubber all in my fender wells from spinning out and going to the track. I didn't deny that I did, but I did deny that I did that with that particular set of tires, now the previous set . After going through tires like crazy I've learned that traction is better for the car and my wallet. Since I kept raising a fuss they decided to call goodyear. I guess they were thinking Goodyear would say hell no, but they said hell yea replace them tires for that guy lol. Ended up saving a lot of money on a new set of tires.

Any time you have to replace tires you should have them warrantied out. It just makes financial sense too. Unless your going to another tire, then it won't carry over I don't think?

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Discount rarely questions anything since they want you to be a repeat customer and they know they will tell their friends to go there too;they've had me for over 20 years now.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffero28 View Post
42k not awful but not good either. Honestly the treads were at replacement level at about 36k. Just didn't have the funds at that time to get new ones.
Depends on what you are expecting from your tire. I buy high performance all-season tires and they last about 25k or so. This is completely acceptable to me as tires with a longer tread life are a much harder tire and do not grip/perform as I want a tire to perform. The OEM tires where ok in the dry, but where not good in the snow or rain.

I swapped to a set of 18" wheel at ~20k miles on my 2012. The stock tires where starting to make noise and where worthless in the snow. They where not quite to the wear bars yet.

Also at 20k miles the Yokahamas that came on our 2012 Impreza make alot of noise and are a good half worn. I have read about the same complaints on NASIOC about not getting the tread life and having noise tires.

Also I have heard that often the OEM tires are not the same as the actual tire that they are, ie they don't last as long or are made cheaper some how.

I can't believe so many cars come with Continentials from the factory. I also think there has to be a reason that Ford is now providing Cooper tires as OEM.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
42k isn't awful for treadlife. I ditched my 16" Conti Procontacts within the first 1000 miles and switched over to 17" Conti DWS and the diff in dry handling was night and day.
Had 'em since July of '12 and have 14,000 miles on 'em and no complaints except they still aren't really made for deeper snow.
i agree w/ you. i ditched my 17' oem pro contacts at 3K miles.. i hated them.. i switched to DWS of the same size and the diff was night and day. much better handling and while ur correct in saying they are not a dedicated winter tire for deeper snow, where i live we do get a good amt of snow ea. winter but the roads are always plowed and salted. I find that for the little snow left on the roads the DWS does very well.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Moved to "Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack."

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner

Bookmarks & Social Networks