Winter tires, do you use them and what kind? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #51
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
remember if you've got a Mk3, lots of Volvo wheels fit. here's my Mk3 with Volvo Cygnus wheels & my new Nokian snows:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327532
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #52
johnriii44
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72948
What I Drive: 2006 Light Tundra ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 johnriii44 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just got my Michelin x-ice xi3's yesterday. Hoping to get them mounted and installed today after work.
HatchNation [#71]
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #53
TheBigMortboski
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115429
What I Drive: Kenworth T-800

FF Reputation: 0 TheBigMortboski Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a set of Dean Wintercat XTs from my wife's old car, but I didn't get around to getting a set of 15" wheels for the Focus. They worked pretty good on the Hyundai, though, except they're studded, which sucks on dry pavement.

One thing I know, these Cooper A/Ss suck on the ice. We haven't had a big snow yet, but I imagine we'll be driving the truck a lot until I can get the 15" S wheels I've got a line on.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #54
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrApple View Post
Yes, only part of the tread is the rubber compund designed for the winter. But do keep in mind that the tread shape and design also is part of the ability of the tire.

First time I put a set of snow tires on my car they where at least half worn or more. They still performed better then slightly less that half worn all season tires.
Most snow tires still have winter rubber compounds underneath the top rubber layer with all the fancy winter features. So they're still going to be better on snowy and icy roads when worn down a bit than most all season tires are. I have a set of these Blizzak WS-70s in 215/50-17 that I'm very happy with.

Quote:
The Blizzak WS70 features a dual-compound tread with Bridgestone's NanoPro-Tech silica-enhanced Tube Multicell compound layered on top of a standard winter compound. The Tube Multicell compound features thousands of microscopic tubes and cells uniformly distributed throughout the compound (which makes the rubber look like Swiss cheese when examined through a microscope) that wick away the water that often forms between the tire's contact patch and the surface of snow-packed and icy roads. New pores and tubes are constantly exposed around the tread as the tire wears. This flexible rubber compound improves the tire's grip in cold conditions while the bite particles attached to the tubes scratch at packed snow and icy surfaces for traction.

When the Blizzak WS70 is 50 percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Blizzak+WS70
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #55
A2Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90690
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 A2Focus Good Standing Member
We run 195/65R-15 General Altimax Arctic's with steel wheels.

They are AWESOME! We put them on my wife's 2012 SEL from the very first winter. She has never had an issue driving in snow with them. No TPMS. We just ignore the warning light.

Last weekend we had an opportunity for side-by-side comparison when the kids came home from college in the 2012 SE we provide for them. It does not have winter tires. About 8 inches of snow fell while they were home. It was a struggle to drive the SE without winter tires. I couldn't even get it up our driveway. (Moderate hill) My wife's SEL with winter tires had no problem whatsoever.

I just ordered a second set of General Altimax Arctic's for the college car. Looks like the wheels are back-ordered at TireRack. Hopefully everything arrives here before the kids go back to school.

Winter tires are SO worth the investment! They are a necessary safety item for our family. Oh, we're in Ann Arbor, Michigan where the roads are horrid any time of year, and snow removal seems to be a low priority. The College Car lives over in Grand Rapids, Mi, where they get A LOT more snow off Lake Michigan.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #56
10'ses
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75646
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 1 10'ses Good Standing Member
I just bought a set of blizzak ws 70s in my factory SEL size 215/50r17. My car had a new set of the hankook ventus noble s2's when I bought it in September, and they are HORRIBLE in snow. We had a nice snow storm last weekend here in Detroit and the car litterally would not move with the traction control on. Spun my tires all the way to the local firestone shop and had them installed that day (turned out to be cheaper than tire rack with the 3 free mountings they give you).

FWIW I had a mustang before this with just 2 snow tires on the back and it did 100% better than my focus in the snow when it was on all seasons. Now that I have 4 of them, my mind is blown lol the stopping power and stability changing lanes in deeper snow (had a solid 4 or 5 inches on the main roads last weekend) is amazing.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #57
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117681
What I Drive: 2013/Grey/Ti-Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TKG26 Good Standing Member
Spool my gps is messed up.. ford says its because of my 15" snow tires being smaller than my 18" stock tires... thoughts?

The se comes with 15"

15" is listed as a recommended tire size on just about every tire place online...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #58
A2Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90690
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 A2Focus Good Standing Member
Changing the overall tire diameter will impact speedometer accuracy. It's a small difference, but it's there.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #59
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast

What I Drive: 2013/Grey/Ti-Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TKG26 Good Standing Member
Why would that affect gps. Garmin Android ect works regardless of tire size
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #60
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast