Another broken idler pulley bolt!!! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
olson_adam
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103141
What I Drive: 07 ford focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 olson_adam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another broken idler pulley bolt!!!

Okay here it is... My 2007 ford focus 2.0 has broken the drive belt idler pulley bolt again.. First / original bolt broke at 50k. Sheared off at the block... I replaced the pulley and tensioner as well just incase that is what caused the bolt to break... 2-4k miles later it broke again..talked to another tech at our ford dealership and he had the same thing happen to his focus... His is still breaking them too.. Then I decided to replace it again and upgraded bolt to grade 8 in the metric system... Also used lock tight and nut from the back side incase it was backing out an causing it to break off.. Well it broke again today 3-4k miles later...it always happens on start up.. I hear a squeal pop the hood and see the broken bolt.. Ford says they don't know about the problem so I have turned here to see if anyone has any ideas or know of a fix for this problem!!!
I hate to say it but if this next time it's not fixed for good I will be trading in on a new fusion!!
Adam Olson
Ford Master Tech

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
BRoseJr.
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103464
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 BRoseJr. Good Standing Member
Adam, I have 07 Fusion and have am having same issues. Mine has broken 5 times! Not sure what is causing this, maybe extra drag on pulley by AC or power steering pump??? I tried putting nut on back of bolt with no luck. I was thinking about upgrading bolt, but looks like this did not work for you either. Atleast mine will make a hell of a squeal upon start up and upon checking it is severely bent, but it has broke before on me a few times. I believe the bolt is way too weak. Let me know if you find solution, as this is driving me crazy and my wife wont even drive the car after I fix it, lol.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
olson_adam
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103141
What I Drive: 07 ford focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 olson_adam Good Standing Member
The ford engineers said that wear to the front cover where the idler bolts down will cause repeated failures... Mine has the slightest marks so I will be replacing the front cover.... If this doesn't fix it I am done!!! The real question is why did the first one break?? I will let people know in a few thousand miles!!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
Hope this works out for you.

I know this would just be a bandaid and not address the real problem, but you could always upgrade to a grade 12.9 bolt. I am pretty sure the sheer strength is about 30,000PSI stronger than a grade 8 bolt.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
longarm
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 328
What I Drive: 07 Infra-Red ST SAP

FF Reputation: 1 longarm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarFan View Post
Hope this works out for you.

I know this would just be a bandaid and not address the real problem, but you could always upgrade to a grade 12.9 bolt. I am pretty sure the sheer strength is about 30,000PSI stronger than a grade 8 bolt.
Anyone know where to find this grade 12.9 bolt?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
mrollings53
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115335
What I Drive: '13 Focus SE HB/ '69 F250/ '12 FZ6R

FF Reputation: 2 mrollings53 Good Standing Member
Since you're in Washington. Try Tacoma screw. They have several locations around the sound. Fastenal is also a good source, but tends to be pricey. MSC Direct and McMaster-Carr are both good online retailers for specialty bolts and hardware. Finally there is ARP. I'm sure they've got something that's stronger than grade 8 in your thread.

Bookmarks & Social Networks