PS4 vs Xbox One - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm from the Atari 2600 gen too and got our's when I was 12 and actually still have it along with about 50 games;also have a working Intellivision and an original boxed up Nintendo 16 bit with Mario/Duckhunt pack. My PS1 died but my $299 PS2 is still working quite well and use that from time to time.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
......also have a working Intellivision......
Damn man. You just gave me George Plimpton Intellivision commercial flashbacks!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

Points 8,884, Level 63
Points: 8,884, Level: 63 Points: 8,884, Level: 63 Points: 8,884, Level: 63
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The original Nintendo was 8-bit. SNES was 16-bit. Just sayin'.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

Points 1,373, Level 20
Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
The original Nintendo was 8-bit. SNES was 16-bit. Just sayin'.

Ha! Thats funny.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener
Injected Tune!
More to come!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,260, Level 64
Points: 9,260, Level: 64 Points: 9,260, Level: 64 Points: 9,260, Level: 64
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I am undecided. It seems as though my friends will be getting the xbone so I will as well. I like the thought of keeping may same gamer tag and everything as well. I never bought a PS3. The PS4 intrigues me since it is focused more on games and the xbone is more focused on stupid "media" apps and tv. I use my xbox 360 for netflix but I have no desire to have a cable box for my cable box that does cable box stuff while cable boxing.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
Nevin W
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98043
What I Drive: 1994 Chevy S10 4x4

FF Reputation: 2 Nevin W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I feel the exact same way! It bugs me that they have made the Xbox into a media box. I don't care about any of that. I don't want to talk to my Xbox and I don't want kinect forced on me. But, I bought a ps3 2 years ago and sold it within a month of buying it because I did not like it. I also really like Forza, so that is a plus on the Xbox side. What will make things a lot more clear for me is seeing a graphics comparison being that there is the whole 300p better on PS4, and to see if the controller feels better than the PS3. The PS3 controller drove me nuts, but the new one looks like it has the potential to be a lot better
PNW Crew #45
1994 Chevy S10 4x4 w/ 4.3 Vortec
2002 Sonic Blue Focus SVT Supercharged - For Sale
2002 Liquid Grey Metallic Wagon - Written off
Nevin
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

Points 9,260, Level 64
Points: 9,260, Level: 64 Points: 9,260, Level: 64 Points: 9,260, Level: 64
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Time will tell. I'll be interested in graphics as well. I heard the UI kind of sucks on the Xbox One.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well, I've had my PS4 for almost a week now and so far so good. Meeting my expectations (but then again I am one of the ones that wants a gaming console to be a gaming console and could give a damn about all of the other miscellaneous stuff, I already have stuff in place to manage all of my media in a manner far more efficient than I think a console ever could).

Hookup/setup was a breeze. I'm still getting used to the UI but I like it so far with one exception. I wish you could remove things from the menu bar (particularly Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited). Kind of like they took a page from Apple's book with the stupid pre-installed apps that you can't get rid of and just have to bury in a folder titled "Thanks for sticking me with this useless crap Apple").

One of the coolest things is the ability to double-tap the PS button on the controller to switch back and forth between the system and what you are doing. For example after I hooked it up and threw in AC4 (the only game I bought at launch) I realized after playing for a while that I was not getting surround sound, I forgot to deal with my audio settings before jumping into the game. Double-tap the PS buttons, go to settings, set audio to Dolby Surround, double-tap the PS button again and BAM! there I am right where I left it only now with functioning surround sound. No saving and exiting the game, changing settings, starting the game again, and reloading my save. Very convenient.

The controller is great, far heftier in good way. The R2 and L2 triggers are actually useful and the sticks are tight. I love the touch pad though it only has limited use as some map screen functionality in AC4. When I first saw pics of the controller I wasn't fond of the idea because in all of the pics it appeared awkwardly placed and I didn't see how it could be anything but a pain in the neck (or thumbs) to use. Totally the opposite actually. Everything on the controller is easily in thumbs reach. It took me no time to get used to just sliding my thumb over to press the pad (which, as has been reported, is also a button) and pop up the map without looking. Still getting used one thing though, the lack of Select and Start buttons (or more accurately the lack of buttons in that location, regardless of whatever they want to call them now). I keep reaching over with my right thumb to pause the game and there is nothing there. Have to get used to going higher and hitting the "Options" button to do this.

While AC4 is a first-gen game that was rushed to meet the release date of the system I didn't expect too much but there are some "Wow" moments, pretty much the things I noticed in some PS3/PS4 video comparisons I saw prior to getting it, stunning water/weather effects, better textures and draw distances, etc. In a couple of spots I have been swimming through some relatively shallow water areas and you can just see fish swimming around below you as you go, changing in appearance due to changing refraction as the water moves on the surface. I've actually stopped and observed for bit in certain areas while playing. This is nothing that a relatively high-end, but not necessarily highest-end, PC couldn't do but as someone that likes to keep my gaming confined to consoles I appreciate the difference. Plus, again it is a first-gen launch game so it can only get better as developers have more time to develop and become more familiar with the system.

Downloads are significantly faster and this is with running the PS4 wifi compared to the hardwired PS3. I have never even heard a fan kick on or anything, even after a multi-hour session this past Saturday and again last night.

All in all loving it so far......
Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
carnage.exe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 112726
What I Drive: '13 Perf. Blue Focus, '13 Dart GT

Points 1,373, Level 20
Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20 Points: 1,373, Level: 20
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 1 carnage.exe Good Standing Member
Sounds sweet man! How fast is it? Loading times, moving through the ui or even the double tapping the ps button action.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener
Injected Tune!
More to come!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Depends on which loading times you are referring to I guess:

First time game loading - as was already known even disk-based games have to load to the drive in order to play, I threw the game in, it started installing to the drive but after only about a minute or so it let me jump in and start while the rest finished installing in background. Very nice.

Loading saved games - I'm a little mixed on this right now as there is still loading time but I am not totally sure where the blame lies. As the only game I have right now is a Ubisoft game a lot of this could be because of the idiotic U-Play garbage. They had some bonus content that required U-play initially but they removed that restriction. Still has to contact the U-play servers though. Even after getting through it there is still some initial loading time of the saved game. The big difference is that once initially loaded there is less or no loading during gameplay. There are areas I am running around in on the map and entering that I know would have had to load on the PS3 but on the PS4 they do not, things like entering buildings or whatever. Just seems to cache much, much more of the level during the initial load (funny, I am still getting used to it, it is almost like I am conditioned to expect the game to have to load at certain points/while doing certain things and am still caught off guard a little when it doesn't and just transitions).

UI is fast, rockets through everything as fast as you can press the buttons to navigate. I've only installed the one disc-based game as well as downloaded and installed the two "free for PS+ members" games Resogun and Contrast (but haven't has a chance to play them yet) so the machine is about as clean as it could be. There is also some "recent activity" stuff that, as the name implies, shows recent events (you got this trophy, you installed this patch, etc.). Not sure if they are going to limit how much of that shows up or not. If they don't I could see it getting a little unwieldy and maybe bogging things down but I can't really judge until I amass a larger game library, do more.

There may also be settings I can manipulate to limit this and other things (such as notifications or whatever) as well but to be honest I have been so psyched to just get into some gaming that I have not totally poked around the settings and really dug into the options available. I will have to do that some lazy weekend afternoon or something in the near future just to really see what is there.

Double tapping the PS button - near instantaneous back and forth between system and current activity. Definitely my favorite feature so far.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.