Military question - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Military Fanatics

Military Fanatics A place dedicated to our members in uniform. Here you can hang out, share stories as well as keep us updated with day-to-day activities.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
cornettbr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110725
What I Drive: 2013 oxford white se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cornettbr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah i agree I got less than a year left. We can't even get pain meds for wisdom teeth removal. Just motrin now no joke. These cuts are ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
cornettbr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110725
What I Drive: 2013 oxford white se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cornettbr Good Standing Member
Also we are a hairs width away from another Korean War

Sent from my SCH-I605 using FF Mobile
Old 11-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Any news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
Thanks guys for the input. I'll check things out.
Did you decide whether to join?

I realize I'm pretty late to this discussion, but maybe my thoughts can help someone else with a similar decision even if they're too late to be any use to you.

I have to agree with blackcervini:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcervini View Post
... Take this serious, it is not a light step in life. ...
The purpose of the military is to fight wars. Whatever anyone believes about what they will get out of joining, the needs of the service come first. Wherever you are stationed and whatever your occupational specialty, you have to be prepared to do whatever you are legally ordered to do. That takes a bit stronger commitment than just "... looking for a change of scenery" would imply. The change you get is also likely to be different than the one you expect, no matter what that might be. When you enlist you give up most of the control you have over your own life for the term of enlistment.

Thirty-one is also a bit old to get started in a military career. Members of the military give up more of their own freedom and rights for the privelege of defending everyone elses than most people who have not served can imagine. Adjusting to being told where to be, what to do, when to go to sleep and wake up, and even what to eat and wear gets more difficult the longer you have lived your life without those restrictions. Would you be prepared to take orders (no discussion) from some junior officer who was years younger than you, and likely less educated, less experienced, and less intelligent than your are? Would you be prepared to be the one giving the orders, whatever they happen to be?

Some people never adapt and don't make it through basic training. Others accept it as a way of life that they enjoy for decades. The higher their rank, the better it gets, but even generals sometimes get, and have to give, orders they don't like. I have great respect for those who make a career of the military, but it didn't take me long to realize that I would not be one of them so I'm glad I served when I was young and got it out of the way.

Things I had been taught when I was young made me believe that I had an obligation to do my part to defend our country, as the people who came before me had done. If I had it to do over I would want to do it for the same reasons I had back then. It definitely changed my life and how I saw the world.

I would not want to discourage you from joining as long as you understand what you'd be getting into and are OK with it. One reason I would not do it now myself is that the current Commander in Chief does not seem competent in that role. What happened to Chris Stevens, Tyrone Woods, Glenn Doherty, and Sean Smith in Benghazi made me sick to my stomach when I heard about it. It still does. Of course, when I joined as a 19 year old, I was unaware of events like that. My youthful idealism, ignorance, and obedience made it much easier to serve than it would have been later in life.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
BOMBtech001
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116373
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Sport

Points 2,818, Level 32
Points: 2,818, Level: 32 Points: 2,818, Level: 32 Points: 2,818, Level: 32
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 2 BOMBtech001 Good Standing Member
Totally agree with what Arco-Zakus said...although I am a career soldier. I also would like to know what your decision was.

* The Korean War never ended, it's simply a 50+ year cease-fire. Having spent a considerable amount of time there we are no closer to war with them than we have been over the last 50 years.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,650, Level 78
Points: 14,650, Level: 78 Points: 14,650, Level: 78 Points: 14,650, Level: 78
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you forget, most of the sheeple don't know the korean war is a cease fire and has never actually ended. if something happens neither side would be starting a war with the other, the cease fire agreement would just be broken by one side and the war would continue.
No new war at all, just a break in the lull.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #16
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,427, Level 21
Points: 1,427, Level: 21 Points: 1,427, Level: 21 Points: 1,427, Level: 21
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 5 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I served 6 years in the Army back in the 80's. 1983-1989. The 80's was the best time to be in the military. Reagan was very good to the military. With the budget cuts and such of todays military .... :(

Can't see how our government can cut our military's budget but at the same time GIVE millions if not billions to other countries in foreign aid. Makes no sense.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
... Can't see how our government can cut our military's budget but at the same time GIVE millions if not billions to other countries in foreign aid. Makes no sense.
That depends on what one's assumptions are about what results are intended. If our current government wants something different for this country than you or I would then it would make sense to them. What does not make sense to me is how so many people seem to be OK with that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.