STF ZX3 Build - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
JustinT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119827
What I Drive: 2004 2.3L ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 JustinT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msperber View Post
Do you wand measurement of the rear stock bar or the aftermarket ones, I can get you the 28 mm and the factory st unit. Let me know.
Either should be fine, as I would imagine the holes for the endlinks should be in pretty much the same location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #22
Zewerr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56889
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT, STF prepped

FF Reputation: 1 Zewerr Good Standing Member
I wouldn't use the 28.6 mm Steeda bar as a reference. That bar fits like crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msperber View Post
Where r u finding a 32 mm bar for the Mazda, I am about to order a new style three position adjustable bar from a Mazda vender but its not even 26 mm.
The Hotchkis (seems to be the same as the one from Cobb) bar is 1.25 inches, which comes out to 31.75 mm. I also found a few similar to this one, and saw this one, as well. I just google image searched "mazda 3 rear sway bar", and started clicking on some of the links.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55097
What I Drive: 2000 Zetec sedan

FF Reputation: 1 STS-focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinT View Post
Could someone get measurements of the Focus rear bar? Really just wondering about the length from end to end where the endlink holes are located, and the length of the "arm" portion at the bends.
Center hole to center hole on a stock SVT rear bar is 27" on the button. For some strange reason I have one by the front door.... I can measure the Eibach rear bar next week, that's what I have been running for years both front and back.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
2013 SCCA National Championship 6th Place Trophy Winner in STF
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Milwaukee STF Winner
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Peru 3rd Trophy
2013, 2012 Chicago Region SCCA STF Season Champion
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

[QUOTE=JustinT;4968201]

Then there's camber plates. Are there any options that are STF legal that can get me around -3 degrees? Caster adjustment would be a bonus.

QUOTE]

Leo Capaldi Racing (LCR) camber plates would be the way to go if you can find them. Or the cheap and easy option is the SPC elliptical camber plates, I have -2.7 front camber on those with H&R race + Koni yellows. But as an elliptical is, you gain/lose caster with adjustment of camber, the illusive LCR plates are a true camber and or caster adjustment individually.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
msperber
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: SCCA ITA 05 Focus ST racecar

FF Reputation: 3 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just as listed in the above response, 27" is the distance between the holes, and the arms are 7" from the bend. That is the measurement of the factory st bar.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
msperber
Focus Enthusiast

What are the rules of camber plates? Fswerks plate require a small amount of cutting. Very well made and allows for at least up to -3 degrees. The LCR plates come in two different forms. One race version and one street version. Material of some parts is the difference. They bolt in the tower and allow for the adjustments. The Fswerks plates are more true dedicated camber plates and when mounted can put in or take out caster.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

"C. The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions. Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted. The center clearance hole may not be modified. Any type of bearing or bushing may be used in the adjustable camber plate attachment to the strut. The installation may incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting block (bearing mount). Any ride height change resulting from installation of camber plates is allowed. Caster changes resulting from the use of camber plates are permitted."

So I am not sure about the LCR's, do you have to modify the center clearance hole? the SPC fits fine and has some room to go further in, if I wanted to slot the bolt holes. So I think I could get -3 if I slotted with SPC's which are compliant (and due for replacement after 5+ years of service.{and plan to go through the strut bushing/bearings yearly at worst})
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
jebiruph
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116084
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 jebiruph Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinT View Post

They're not that hard to find. You just have to be willing to overpay, trust that the dealer is being honest with you, fly across the country, and drive 2000 miles home.
Hope your trip to get your Focus goes well. I was ready to drive up to your area this summer when I was looking for a Focus. Prices are lower in the Minneapolis area and there is more selection than there is here in Des Moines. Then I checked out a car lot down the street and they had an 04 ZX3 2.3 fresh from Florida which I proceeded to pay too much for.

I look forward to watching your build. Have you decided what you're going to do with the brakes?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
msperber
Focus Enthusiast

The LCR units require no modifications to the center hole, the Fswerks units do require the center hole modified, so that would not be legal. I have no experience with the spc units.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
JustinT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119827
What I Drive: 2004 2.3L ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 JustinT Good Standing Member
Just got home. 2100 miles later. The car handled the trip like a champ.

The car is really pretty clean, (as I expected,) and runs really well. Seems to make a little noise over bumps at low speeds. Sounds like strut mounts to me. Also has a little vibration that comes and goes at different speeds. Hopefully just a tire out of balance. The only issue that concerns me, is that 2nd gear popped out a couple of times. It holds fine while accelerating, but off throttle it comes out pretty easily. Not sure if it's a bad synchro or what, but it's an important gear for autocross, so it will need to be addressed. Other than that, it seems like a pretty healthy, solid car. I'm hoping to get in on a scale asap so I can see exactly what I'm working with as far as weight goes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->