Cell phone mounts.. let's see what you got?! - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #111
redzone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114512
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Hatchback SE

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 redzone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
so i have a mount that im useing on the right side like alot of people. I am finding the adhesive sitckies just dont stay on the soft rubber material that surrounds the center console. Would an expoy be the best route to make sure it doesnt move/ come off?
Stock for now
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #112
TheHumbleGeek
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 105071
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

Points 2,404, Level 29
Points: 2,404, Level: 29 Points: 2,404, Level: 29 Points: 2,404, Level: 29
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 1 TheHumbleGeek Good Standing Member
To make sure it NEVER moves, yes... Like, generally, if you use epoxy, to then remove it, you'll have the replace the dash...

If you have having trouble getting it to stay in place (suction cup won't hold) try one of those gps suction cup mounting discs first. They generally feature some version of automotive double-stick tape.

*facepalm* sorry, just realized, NOT a suction cup mount.... SO, go to a hardware store, pick up a roll of grey exterior mounting tape from 3M... If that doesnt hold it in place, you might just have to switch to glue.

Just an idea for you.
Sent from SGH-I747M Via Tapatalk 4
2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE | Sedan Revolution #283 | Sonic's MK3 Crew #29
1984 Copper Metallic Ford Mustang LX
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #113
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
Just wanted to follow up on my posts recommending the Ram-Mounts seat mount. I have now removed mine, and am looking for other solutions.

I really liked the location of the phone in the mount, however every time someone rode in the front seat they would "bonk" the mount with their knee, and it quickly loosened up at the base. After "re-installing" it several times, I have finally given up.

I like the X-Grip portion of the mount, as well as the ball mount portion. I'm hoping I can figure out another mounting method that uses the hardware I already have. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #114
Farwar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113567
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Points 37, Level 1
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Farwar Good Standing Member
Here's my setup. This is the best mount I've found that works for me. Simple and clean. Only downside is the phone gets hot/cold from the vent.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HC...unt-for-iphone

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #115
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

Points 15,105, Level 79
Points: 15,105, Level: 79 Points: 15,105, Level: 79 Points: 15,105, Level: 79
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
wow Farwar that's the minimal-est one i've seen. you can always turn the vent off right?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #116
tburns6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54290
What I Drive: 12 Candy Blue Focus Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 tburns6 Good Standing Member
Iphone 5 mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	20729  

Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #117
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98701
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 RedoFromStart Good Standing Member
Custom Mount

I looked around for cell phone mounts and had almost settled on the Pro Clip, but because I'm an extremely picky person, I couldn't bare the thought of anything lingering in front of any vents.

I didn't want some big plastic thing sticking out anywhere, either.

So I made a custom mount for about $12. It fits snugly in the gap between the climate controls and the panel next to it. It is snug enough and the mount/phone are lightweight enough that it will not move without some force. It holds the phone at an angle toward me, to the right of the gear shifter, not blocking obscuring anything and definitely not in the way of anything.

Here are some instructions in case anyone likes the idea and would like to do it too.

What was used:
---------------

1 Piece of galvanized Step Flashing from Home Depot - $0.69
2 packages of 4 Neodymium button craft magnets from Walmart - $3.47 each (these would have been less expensive at Michaels, but every Michaels in the city was out of stock)
1 package of Presto adhesive felt sheets from the next aisle over at Walmart - $4.53
Superglue (optional)
A Hacksaw
A very small amount of electrical tape (already had this but you can get some at Walmart for $0.99)

Using the hacksaw I cut a 2" x 4" section from the step flashing making sure not to bend it.
Then filed all of the edges of the 2"x4" to make them dull.
Then filed the corners to make them round.
Then bent it straight down the middle of the 4" length using the straight edge of the table I was using, to make an angle that I believed would be just right for my viewing angle. (I just so happened to be exactly correct at this time -- love it when that kinda' thing happens)
This is the mounting bracket.
Then I superglued the magnets in a pattern to the bracket like this:
-------------
-----x-x-----
--x-------x--
--x-------x--
-----x-x-----
-------------
If the polarity of either magnet of a pair caused them to resist each other, I flipped one of them over.
The superglue is optional as the magnets stick to the bracket on their own, but I did not want them shifting around.
Used a single strip of electrical tape to cover roughly 1/3" of the end of the bracket on both sides -- the end that will be inserted into the gap in the dash. This is to prevent the metal from scratching anything, and give a little bit of grip for the panels of the dash to hold it in place while keeping it thin enough to fit in. More than one layer of electrical tape on either side would likely be too thick for the gap. I just centered the tape on the edge of the mount and folded it over, and made sure to rub it so that it would stay stuck.
Then I cut a 3" by 5" section of the black felt sheet in the package.
Removed the film on the back of the felt section, lied the sheet sticky side up on the table, and then stuck the mount, magnets down, onto the felt section -- leaving the taped edge uncovered.
Then folded the felt over the edges to the opposite side, trimming away the corners of the felt so that there were no kinks, wrinkles, or overlaps.
I then cut a 2"x2" section from the step flashing, making sure not to bend it at all.
Again filed all edges and rounded the corners.
Removed my Samsung S4 from the protective case, taped the 2"x2" section into the inside of the protective case using electrical tape. I covered the whole piece of metal with electrical tape to keep it from scratching the battery cover.
Put the phone back in its case.

Gently wedge the taped edge of the bracket into the gap between the climate controls panel and the dashboard center console panel. Sorry the pic is blurry but I was using a really old crappy phone to take the photo.

The felt protects the dash, the e-tape protects the plastic panels in the gap and gives it some grip.

Then I just place the phone onto it, straighten it, and let go. And then it's just there...not in the way, easily accessible for things like Navigation, Sigalert (Traffic), and Weather Radar. It's not too much to glance down at it for navigation or Sigalert...no more than glancing down to turn on the A/C or change vent position.

It stays on there in position and doesn't move around. For heavier phones or phones with thicker protective covers, though, you may need a few more magnets and there is plenty of space for them on the mount. Use only the button sized neodymium craft magnets.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #118
RuSsYjO
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63579
What I Drive: 2014 Performance Blue Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 1 RuSsYjO Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTBrown View Post
Picked up this guy a couple months ago. Not the ideal solution but I couldn't justify $60+ for a proclip. The Bad: it make a tight window to the ignition; not too bad though. The portion where the mount attaches to the shaft is very loose but actually hasn't been a problem. The Good: It puts my phone close enough that I can see details easily which I feel is a pretty powerful safety feature, doesn't interfere with shifter, allows me to quickly toss it into the holder without any fuss, offers adjustable positionand most importantly, allows use of both cup holders. For $25, not a bad deal.
Easy my favorite solution. Buying.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #119
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Are you still using this solution? Any updates? Thanks.
I know this is a question from September, but just saw it and thought I would respond.

I am still using the RAM mounts solution. Although I have uninstalled, and reinstalled it twice now. Each time due to someone bending the aluminum rod from getting in/out of the car. It appears I have a good number of friends and coworkers that are 6'+ tall, and the front passenger area seems to lend itself to them bonking the mount with thier left knee as they get into the car. Once the metal support bar between the floor and the upper ball joint is bent, it becomes "floppy", and aggravates me. SO.....I end up taking it out, beating the aluminum bar back into shape, and re-installing. I've gotten pretty good at it, and it doesn't take but a few minutes at this point.

Other than that issue, I like it. Enough that I put one in my wifes car as well.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #120
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Well......I've had to redo my mount once again. I think this is the 4th time its been redone. This time was do to an overzealous friend who thought it was a flexible rod not a custom bent aluminum rod. He grabbed it with one hand and yanked it back to the seat so his knee would clear where it was installed previously. Granted he's 6'4" tall and space is already tight for us big guys in small cars.

I'm retracting my recommendations of using this setup. I love the position of the phone and the way the x-grip device works, however the seat bolt mount is simply too easy to bonk up to be a long term solution for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.