help on gaining weight? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
o_so_slo
Drunkinmonkey

Fan#: 55470
What I Drive: 00' Turbo zx3, 12' Optima LX+

Points 19,532, Level 88
Points: 19,532, Level: 88 Points: 19,532, Level: 88 Points: 19,532, Level: 88
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 67 o_so_slo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
help on gaining weight?

hey guys

unluck the majrity of people out there that are tyring to lose weight, i on the other hand am trying to gain weight.
im 28 5'7" and 132lbs. iv always been small framed, and im sick of all the comments i get from people. i would be happy around 145lbs if its possible. i have thought about going to the gym and getting a personal trainer but the low self esteem is kind of holding me back. iv tried coutnless protien shakes and weight gainers and such to gain very little achivemen..

anyone out there able to help a guy gain some weight?

Instagram @o_so_slo
Formerly drunkinmonkey
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,045, Level 40
Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40 Points: 4,045, Level: 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Go cry me a river, I am 6'0" and 128 lbs (Just weighed for you)

Just kidding about the cry me a river part because I have been like you all my life, and people that go "You're so skinny, your so lucky" really piss me off, no I am not lucky. I truly feel I cannot be the man my girlfriend needs. (In a protective way, you ninjas with dirty minds)

What I am doing right now is watching calories. I read that people that are unusually skinny do not eat enough, although we think we do, most think we eat a lot. I have a 3700 calorie a day diet right now and let me tell you it is DAMN hard. You are going to have to be eating from the minute you wake up to the minute you sleep. Another recommendation is veer away from drinking water only, drink fresh juices as they will be about 200 calories a serving. My goal is to stuff extra calories anywhere I can. Once you start putting on weight, begin with doing push ups maybe 4 sets of 10 a day and go from there.

EAT FOR HEALTH, NOT FOR PLEASURE. Goes for both skinny and fat people.

I got up to 143lbs doing that, but recently came down with another M.R.S.A. infection (completely in my blood, having a hard time getting rid of it for the past year of my life) so that caused me to drop weight. In the past two days I have had one burger as the infections kill my appetite.

You might also want to check with your doctor, I have minor thyroid problems that keep me slightly slim, my father is also extremely slim his entire life because of this.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Points 8,981, Level 63
Points: 8,981, Level: 63 Points: 8,981, Level: 63 Points: 8,981, Level: 63
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Hey man, I too am 5'7" and have always had difficulty gaining weight. But it is not impossible. I'm at 160lbs and 10%-ish bodyfat, 30 years old.

You cannot hope to gain weight without eating, and eating will only help you to gain fat. You must workout.
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
o_so_slo
Drunkinmonkey

Points 19,532, Level 88
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
actually belive it or not shortly after i posted that i was talking to our on the road sales man from work, and hes also a nutritionist and fitness coach on the side. he just hooked me up with helping me to get in shape and how to meal plan and what not.. so heres hoping everything works out!
Instagram @o_so_slo
Formerly drunkinmonkey
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,045, Level 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Its all about yourself and how you want to do it .

Why are you going to tell him not to just eat when he can be less then 2% body fat we as humans need about 10% for males. I personally waiver between 1.6 and 2.3% . Working out doesn't help you gain fat. Being healthy is not about just being muscular . My brother works out all the time he started out just like me and now weights 200lbs of pure muscle, he has huge arms and chest. Guess what he's still not healthy because his body fat percentage is way to low. Plus those protien shakes y'all drink are absolutely awful for you. I don't understand why no one can eat healthy and gain weight naturally. Eat lots of potatoes steak asparagus, kale, baby spinach and you will gain weight with out killing yourself with awful ingredients. I hope your trainer is keeping you away from this ! Also before any one says SOY you better look it up.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,045, Level 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Sources:
My family has a few doctors
Experience with something's
43 credit hours of college classes was personally taken by myself for nutrition

Take it as you wish guys I wish everyone the best of luck in their health. Take care y'all!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
+1 to keeping your calorie intake UP. Your body won't build muscle if it doesn't have enough energy (calories). Sounds like you've got it under control!

I'm the opposite of you. But I've been learning and reading about nutrition for the past several months. For me, the problem was food choices. I am a fat dude but not the fat dude who lives at McDonalds and has a pantry full of snack cakes and complains about my genetics with a triple-extra large soda in my hand. I THOUGHT I was doing good but could not figure out why I was so heavy. Well, because I wasn't LOOKING at the food I was eating. Sodas, sugary drinks, sugary salad dressings, tons of carbs, the way I was preparing my food, etc. Dropped 65 pounds so far. It's AMAZING what you can learn JUST by looking at the food you are eating.

I also read (to the Changrin of most of my fellow fatties!) that most metabolisms are more/less the same speed based on activity levels, and that metabolic disorders and 'thyroid problems' are extraordinarly rare. If a thin person has a 'fast metabolism' it's because they are incredibly active. And while you may see them scarf down a whole pizza once in a while, they probably aren't eating enough most of the time (which is why their body lets them binge when they do!). But here's the kicker. The bigger you are, the faster your metabolism. That's why I've been able to lose weight with a higher calorie intake than what you might need to GAIN. When I started, I was eating 1850 calories a day and dropping 2 lbs a week (plus working out 5 days a week). As I've lost weight I've reduced my calorie intake to stay at my 2lb/week goal, because as I get smaller, my metabolism SLOWS.

So anyway, that's what I've learned. You need to pay attention to WHAT foods you eat, and record your calories, carbs, sugars, etc. The results may really surprise you. In my case, it was realizing how many calories I was eating just once or twice a week when my wife and I would eat out, and maybe even an occasional meal at home. So even though 3-4 days a week I actually was eating more/less a decent amount of calories, I was eating SO MUCH (foods like burgers, pizza, fried foods, etc.) on certain days that there was no way I was gonna lose. In your case, I bet you'll find at the end of the week, you're eating way too little, especially for your activity level.

Good luck man!
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Points 4,045, Level 40
Level Up 48% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
All of that is so true. Thyroid problems are rare. If your skinny and have thyroid problems then you probably have to sit down on the toilet 5-6 times a day, and never have a normal bowel movement.

Secondly- Skinny people do normally binge eat and think they are getting enough, I was one of these people. I have a strange sleep scheldule but I would wake up around 9 a.m and not eat till 5-6P.M. for my first meal, then when I get off work around 10 till 3 A.M. I binge eat. Theres been nights where I've eaten a tub of ice cream, an large pizza from Pizza Hut, a couple burgers, maybe a hot dog or two and an entire box of Mac and Cheese and I can eat this in just a few hours. I used to literally eat a box of little debbies a day and not gain a pound, just because I did not eat enough.

Now I have a pantry and fridge filled of fresh ingredients, no pre made food, no boxes, no hamburger helper, no nothing other then fresh food from Produce, dairy (Milk, Eggs, Yogurt), and meat department. I can tell you I feel a hell of a lot better, I look a lot better. Even though I haven't gained a massive amount of weight my arms gained muscle definition, My hair looked better, my skin looks better, nails, everything changes. Instead of a rush of energy I have a throughout the day energy, its really nice.

IF ANY KNOWS, PLEASE HELP ME: I have been consuming extremely low amounts of food lately(Past three days), I have literally no appetite. I had a hard time finishing a burger last night with out feeling sick. I feel fine, have plenty of energy, just really bothered of why I have no appetite. I have very little stress in my life (Great grades in college, I have a great relationship with my girlfriend, and I do not have any money issues) just ready to start eating. Most of my recent calories have been from juice/veggie shakes. I still get thirsty just not hungry.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
LOADED
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81895
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

Points 1,822, Level 25
Points: 1,822, Level: 25 Points: 1,822, Level: 25 Points: 1,822, Level: 25
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 LOADED Good Standing Member
Proven fact, anyone who judges someones shape or weight, is usally self concious. Don't feel bad about going to a gym. Going to the gym with a buddy or partner will help with your confidence.
Best way to gain weight, is to gain muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. Protein shakes or a high protein diet will help build muscle. BTW, 5' 7" is not that little, It is around avrage IIRC.
2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus #524
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
o_so_slo
Drunkinmonkey

Points 19,532, Level 88
Level Up 37% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
im pretty well the exact same is slickwilly. my first meal of the day is at lunch then agian at dinner. but i eat alot, or what i think is alot anyway. ill have to go out and buy snacks and such to eat througout the day at work. ill consider joining a gym or at least go out and buy proper weights. the rubber bands just arnt cutting it lol
Instagram @o_so_slo
Formerly drunkinmonkey

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.