Mk3 Custom Gauges: HOW TO - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #91
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwiggapeterson View Post
How did you guys adjust your needles?!!!! I want to fix mine example. When there is no key in the Ignition everything is fine all of them are where they should be . But once I start to turn on my car. The rpm's are already at 1,000 and I'm just sitting in my driveway, my mph is 4 miles faster then I am actually going my gas gauge is completely messed up. And so is my tempt gauge anyone have any tips on how to get it back to normal !??
Trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_focus View Post
Are the red ST needles interchangeable with the non-ST? If so would the installation require recalibration of the gauage needles? Im not a huge fan of the baby blue needles I have now.
Yes and yes.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #92
focusI3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120361
What I Drive: 13, white, focus se

FF Reputation: 1 focusI3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
where did you happen to get the colored gauge backgronds
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #93
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post

I mentioned it in the 9th post.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #94
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Looks great!

I'd like one with 150mph as the 'top' reading instead of just a line (Like the 2012 Focus's, I think?). Dunno why, I just like that better, instead of 140 and a line following.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)
Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #95
focusI3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120361
What I Drive: 13, white, focus se

FF Reputation: 1 focusI3 Good Standing Member
ya I got it thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #96
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwiggapeterson View Post
How did you guys adjust your needles?!!!! I want to fix mine example. When there is no key in the Ignition everything is fine all of them are where they should be . But once I start to turn on my car. The rpm's are already at 1,000 and I'm just sitting in my driveway, my mph is 4 miles faster then I am actually going my gas gauge is completely messed up. And so is my tempt gauge anyone have any tips on how to get it back to normal !??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To get it back to normal is going to be very hard. For RPM's you should find what most cars similar to yours idle at and adjust it. For fuel, maybe fill it up all the way and then adjust that the needle to F. For Temp, just wait until your car has been sitting for awhile and move it back to where it should be.

Like a previous poster said, a lot of trail and error.

This is the dangerous part of changing your gauges. I did mine on a previous car I had and used a marker to mark on the glass where the needles were at idle and at a low speed (I used like 20mph I think). I think lifted the needles straight up and when I put them back on put them straight down.

Then I adjusted the ones that needed it accordingly per idle and verified it going the same speed.

Not sure if this is the "right way" to do it, but it worked fine for me. However, the risk of screwing up your gauges is pretty high. A friend of mine had to get a whole new gauge set in his car. It's the reason I won't be doing this again. Just not worth it IMO.

But to each his own. If you have the patience and the time, more power to you friend!

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #97
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Go into the "secret menu" to see your actual RPM and Speed. Adjust them to that. It's easier if you set your cruise to something before hand, like say 40, and then write down what your RPM are at that speed. Then when you go back to adjust them, set the cruise back to 40 and you should know where the RPM should be. You probably need a passenger to help with all this. It's not safe to do yourself.

Coolant you can make a mark, it always goes to the same spot when warm. Fill up your gas tank, and make a mark for that as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #98
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
DO NOT fill your tank when adjusting the gas gauge. When the tank is full (full, as in when you fill the tank at the pump until the pump clicks off), the needle goes past the full mark.

Some ways to adjust the needles if you messed up:

To test the speed, set your cruise control (the Mph/KMh) will show) and drive on a flat stretch of road and then you can compare speed to actual indicated.

Fuel gauge - if you know it is off, you can wait until the orange fuel low light comes on (on a level road) and then you will know it is at 1/8th tank.

Coolant - When fully warmed up, the needle should be right in the middle of the gauge.

RPMs ... well that's a bit tricky if you don't have something like a Scangauge. But at idle, when warmed up should be around 750 rpms. That's why I suggest before you remove your gauges for the 1st time, you let the car warm up and take note of the RPM's with the car in park at idle.

Last edited by Pennut; 11-07-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: add text
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #99
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
DO NOT fill your tank when adjusting the gas gauge. When the tank is full (full, as in when you fill the tank at the pump until the pump clicks off), the needle goes past the full mark.

Some ways to adjust the needles if you messed up:

To test the speed, set your cruise control (the Mph/KMh) will show) and drive on a flat stretch of road and then you can compare speed to actual indicated.

Fuel gauge - if you know it is off, you can wait until the orange fuel low light comes on (on a level road) and then you will know it is at 1/8th tank.

Coolant - When fully warmed up, the needle should be right in the middle of the gauge.

RPMs ... well that's a bit tricky if you don't have something like a Scangauge. But at idle, when warmed up should be around 750 rpms. That's why I suggest before you remove your gauges for the 1st time, you let the car warm up and take note of the RPM's with the car in park at idle.
I did it this way and had no problem with it. But that's just me. I'm not sure needles really go past F though, at least the ones in my Jeep, Firebird, and Focus don't.

They do however stay at F longer, but that's designed that way and controlled by the car. They stay at F longer so you'll think you get better fuel mileage, then when it gets to a certain point the needles moves quicker.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #100
2013Tuxe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120068
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 2013Tuxe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Sweet! Now I can install these-

I like your arrows.
Any pics of them installed?

Also, has anyone installed the ST needles?
2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium Sedan | Sedan Rev #305
e-Focus RMM, drop-in K&N Air Filter, snorkel delete, AM Satin Silver Shift Knob with Redline Goods shift boot, RDC Zetec S Grill, and Husky Liners Weatherbeater Floor Liners for the kiddo!

Bookmarks & Social Networks