A bit of help needed with my Focus race car - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #51
Gi_Jo_Nathan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98931
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5Door MTX

FF Reputation: 3 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice.
12 SE HB MTX, IE Tuned, Snorkel DLT, Green Filter(Gray), custom 2.5" cat-back w/borla, Steeda RSB & Short Shift Bracket, JBR Solid Shifter Bushing's, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts, Ti Heads, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, De-chromed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #52
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
We tested the '01 Celica GTS, a whole new beast from the '83-85 RWD we ran before. Started out loose, improved with some spring rubbers and tire pressure changes, ended in the B Main running over a doofus who spun himself in every turn and bent the front right strut. There's one way to get camber!

We finished and drove it on the trailer, which was about what we expected. Actual finishing place was something like 56th out of 30 cars...

Should have known how it would go, since after leaving home the very first road we turned onto had fresh manure all over it...and soon so did the motorhome, hauler, trailer, even the racecar! Smelled like a barn all weekend. A sh!tshow from the start...
Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #53
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Add a baffled pan and/or accusump. Those engines have zero oil control and starve badly.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #54
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 118010
What I Drive: 2000 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FastFocus50 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
Add a baffled pan and/or accusump. Those engines have zero oil control and starve badly.
Good advice on the baffles. I hadn't thought of that for this car. I put baffles in the oil pan on my road racing car as the speeds were higher and we would be in the corners longer. But come to think of it, a third mile oval is almost all corner. I hope its an easy job to drop the oil pan. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #55
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 118010
What I Drive: 2000 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FastFocus50 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leora83 View Post
We tested the '01 Celica GTS, a whole new beast from the '83-85 RWD we ran before. Started out loose, improved with some spring rubbers and tire pressure changes, ended in the B Main running over a doofus who spun himself in every turn and bent the front right strut. There's one way to get camber!

We finished and drove it on the trailer, which was about what we expected. Actual finishing place was something like 56th out of 30 cars...

Should have known how it would go, since after leaving home the very first road we turned onto had fresh manure all over it...and soon so did the motorhome, hauler, trailer, even the racecar! Smelled like a barn all weekend. A sh!tshow from the start...
It sounds like you had a sh_tty weekend. Watching the other races is tons of fun but not so much when your's is bent and in the trailer.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #56
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I would not worry about oil baffel. The oil cloud is not that bad. I have looked into oil scrapers and my research showed there was little to no gain in it. Not sure where that thread went. Do a search on this site for "oil scraper" should come up with it.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #57
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
The oil pan is very easy to drop. Just be really diligent about the RTV when you're reinstalling it or you'll miss a tiny spot and end up with leaks (then have to scrape it all off and redo it, grrr).

Some of our guys swear by the baffles, some have never bothered and haven't had any problems. Seems an easy enough thing to do, and hey, you have all winter now.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

If your set on doing it. check this guy out.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Ford_Lima.html

Has some good setups for some fairly good prices.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #59
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
I am not talking about oil scrappers of misting. I am talking about g-forces causing the oil to climb the side of the block, moving away from the pickup. It is a known problem with that engine. Was on the Celica GT-S that ran in the Long Beach Celebrity races. Is a problem with the engine in a Lotus.

Moroso 20970 - http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=11930, bottom of the page - is made for a reason. Call TRD and ask them. The factory pan does not provide adequate oil control.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #60
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

I understand that. But the link provided appears to be just a integrated windagetray and oil pan.

The baffles are not sealed along the edges of the pan so the oil can still push out to the sides due to centripetal force.

I would just check your oil levels before a race as you already should and fit your self an oil pressure gauge.
Hatch Nation #42

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->