Intake/filter help - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113745
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bonesacked Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Intake/filter help

I bought my car with a FocusSport Cool-Flo intake that I don't particularly like; the air filter is literally disintegrating from lack of maintenance, and I think the way it attaches to the MAF sensor is a bit ghetto, it doesn't feel very secure. I also don't like how the filter rams into the wall of the shield.

I want to get a K&N X-Stream filter to replace the crappy ITG, however I can't figure out a way to attach it that's better than the current method. It needs to be at an angle, maybe 45*, in order to sit evenly and straight inside the shield, otherwise it will hit the wall and won't fit. I need a rubber elbow adapter, however I can't find any, does anyone make them? I forget the MAF diameter, I think I need a 3.5" to 3" elbow. The current adapter hits the bolts that hold the MAF to the shield, because of the fact that it sits on top of another adapter, and doesn't go all the way on. This intake is kind of stupid IMO, but I'm not about to spend 200+ bucks on a tube, not when my exhaust is rusting out and leaking.

Any ideas? There's very little room to work in that area, so I can't do an adapter-elbow pipe-adapter job.

Edit: I've edited one of the pictures to show what I'm wanting to do. Now that I look at it, it may not be possible; I'd need a really weird shaped coupler.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-20-0067.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	19755  

Name:	2013-10-20-0069.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	19756  

Name:	2013-10-20-0068_mod.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	19757  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 46 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Search by size --> http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Posted via FF Mobile i already found the filter i want, it's linked in my post, it's the adapter/coupling that i need and can't find
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 46 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you'd look through the catalog you'll find that you won't need any elbow or adapter. They make filters that are angled for reasons just like this.
... and it costs less.
The RF-1031 looks close. But I can't recall how big the MAF is; and i don't know how much room you have between the shield.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Well, it took a LOT of measuring and searching, but I did find a setup that works about as perfectly as possible in this configuration.

Here are the part numbers in case anyone cares, everything was bought off Summit Racing:
K&N 084050, 3.25"-2.5" adapter
K&N RX-3800, X-Stream cone angle inlet air filter
K&N RX-3820PK, polyester dust sock "PreCharger" thing for said air filter

I reused a big hose clamp I had left over from something else, otherwise you'll need one for the adapter/MAF connection. I also ordered the big 32oz bottle of cleaner and 12oz aerosol oil, you'll need to buy them eventually anyway.

Overall this setup fits like a glove, WAY better than the crap that was on there before, and IMO it looks extremely professional now, as opposed to something a 17 year old would buy at Autozone. It wasn't cheap but worth it. (In the pics you can still see the gross black crumbs that were coming off the foam filter.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_00000007.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	19981  

Name:	IMG_00000008.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	19982  

Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Well done. That does look much better. I always admired the ITG filters for their performance, but wondered if they would begin crumbling after some time. This answers that question for me.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

That thing was crumbling like an old, dry piece of bread. I can't imagine the ITG would offer any better performance over the K&N X-Stream. These filters have filter material on the top as well, instead of having a solid lid like standard cone filters. Any difference would be very trivial, so I'll take the lifetime filter that doesn't fall apart.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesacked View Post
That thing was crumbling like an old, dry piece of bread. I can't imagine the ITG would offer any better performance over the K&N X-Stream. These filters have filter material on the top as well, instead of having a solid lid like standard cone filters. Any difference would be very trivial, so I'll take the lifetime filter that doesn't fall apart.
The benefits claims I've always read regarding the ITG and other foam filters is that the filtering ability is better than cotton gauze/oil media filters such as K&N, not that they necessarily breathe better.

I personally use a K&N with a prefilter like you though, and I've always been happy with the performance. From this experience, I would agree that the durability of the K&N is better than the ITG when properly maintained.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks