The N/A Zetec Performance Thread - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #81
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'm going to try with E-85. I don't know of anyone who's tried yet so I can't say if it'll work or not. I'm not worried though. I still have a SVT headgasket and 2 stock SVT heads to lower compression. And I have a source for affordable E-98 if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #82
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I'm going to try with E-85. I don't know of anyone who's tried yet so I can't say if it'll work or not. I'm not worried though. I still have a SVT headgasket and 2 stock SVT heads to lower compression. And I have a source for affordable E-98 if need be.

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #83
Pepsibottle1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95750
What I Drive: 2004 Honda Element EX AWD

FF Reputation: 1 Pepsibottle1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Still very curious as to what the limit is with these engines. Surely with the right head, 200 should be possible. If the smaller Hondas can make that power all motor, I don't see why we can't. There's no replacement for displacement.

I'm just curious, what are the flow numbers for a stock head and a SVT head? and Tom, with your experience on the flow bench what were the highest numbers you have ever seen in a Zetec head? I know for a fact that the Zetec isn't exactly he most effecient head design but we can surely push 250cfm on the intake from one of these heads. The B18 head can do that in stock form as can be seen below.

I believe that intake and exhaust flow is what's killing our potential to make power. That's why the Duratec is happy when you install simple bolt ins - you've already got a very nice flowing head on there giving you a much better base. So why not drop in a Duratec and call it a day? First, I'd like to be able to work with what I've got. Second, I'd like to see a Zeta engine putting out the power all engine the B-series engines can. Most likely impossible, yes. But there's no replacement for displacement. We've got a bigger engine that was made around the same timeframe. Despite a less aggressive design, I legitimately believe that there is more potential to be found in the Zetec. With work, I think 200-215 is very much possible.

Last edited by Pepsibottle1; 04-24-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #84
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
Is there any flow information for the Zetec/SVT head? I just picked up a spare engine for free and am planning on doing some exploration into the port geometry of this head. I have done my fare share of porting on Honda heads. Just wondering if there are any explorers on this site? Haven't been able to find very many ported head threads using the search function.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #85
Fordcus Fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31604
What I Drive: 2012 twin turbo F150 (Soon)2000ZX3S

FF Reputation: 3 Fordcus Fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTribute View Post
Is there any flow information for the Zetec/SVT head? I just picked up a spare engine for free and am planning on doing some exploration into the port geometry of this head. I have done my fare share of porting on Honda heads. Just wondering if there are any explorers on this site? Haven't been able to find very many ported head threads using the search function.
Check the Massive website for the 5 Axis CNC ultimate Zetec, head, and the FF vendor discussions for the ultimate SVT head numbers. Pretty impressive Zetec numbers for the best in CONSISTENCY & FLOW to me.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #86
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you for the reference......Wow! Stock 159cfm Int. & 128cfm Exh. @ .4" lift is pretty low!

The Massive stage 2 port job with 237cfm Int. & 218cfm Exh. @ .4" lift is a big improvement. The +1mm valves probably had a lot to do with that as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #87
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Well I was given the opportunity to pick up a 60k km 2004 2.0L Zetec w/trans last weekend. For $200, I jumped all over it. Grabbed it and have it torn down already.

Once I was able to take a took at the head it's was very easy to see why it flows as little as it does in stock form. My Briggs and Stratton 500cc lawn tractor engine had better port dressing than this thing does.

After a little bit of cleaning.......

Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #88
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Then there was the difference between the SVT intake and these brutal intake ports. Anyone who just swaps an SVT intake onto a regular head is missing out on a lot of potential.

Here is a pic of the OEM Zetec head with an SVT intake outline stained onto the head. When I mounted the SVT intake onto the head half of the fuel injection tunnel was blocked.

After a little bit of port work, here it is opened up to match an SVT intake.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #89
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

After doing a couple 7k rpm 3rd gear pulls, my spark plugs were showing that WOT was leaning out even with the fuel trims at 25%. So it was time for an upgrade. Today I finally got around to installing my 24lb injectors, Pro-M 70mm MAF housing and GMS MAF sensor, 6" - 3" velocity stack and 6" K&N cone filter. Man does that ever make a huge difference. I like the fact that my fuel trims are finally in the negative.

With the stock 19Lb injectors both fuel trims were always around 25%. The ECU would occasionally throw a lean code as well. Now with the 24lb injectors and the GMS MAF the fuel trims are @ -6% (after 500km). And my spark plugs are a nice tan colour with a good ring on the ground strap and threads. That gives me great piece of mind knowing that at WOT I'm not running out of injector anymore. Also keeps the duty cycle of the injectors in the 70-80% range where they should be. That should keep them cooler and add a little life to the coils.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #90
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Do you have before and after bench flow and dyno readings?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->