Dogbone mount inserts installed - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Humphrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91540
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Humphrey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
lol You've removed what the dogbone was supposed to do in the first place. When you went from the rubber bushing to the polyurethane bushing you removed that quality aspect from the dogbone by stiffening up the engine mount so you will feel motor vibrations in the steering wheel.
So are you saying that going with poly mount inserts that there is a reduction in vibration control? Being as this thread is from '09- there are several newer threads here with ppl swearing poly is the way to go. Was there a change or what?

I am asking cause I have a OEM dogbone that I have out and are planning to get inserts for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
suby6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57613
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 suby6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Lol I had only seen good statements about it before I did it.

It is the way to go provided you are willing to put up with vibrations in trade for performance. My a/c doesn't work so it doesn't matter but people say the vibrations are substantial with a/c on.

I will report back in a week with an update after it settles in.
If I didn't spend so much time in stop and go traffic I wouldn't mind at all.

If you haven't bought inserts yet maybe there is info on which brand is softest for less vibes..
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
So are you saying that going with poly mount inserts that there is a reduction in vibration control? Being as this thread is from '09- there are several newer threads here with ppl swearing poly is the way to go. Was there a change or what?

I am asking cause I have a OEM dogbone that I have out and are planning to get inserts for it.
I never said anything negative about the poly mounts. I have always gone with poly mounts in the past and I have VF Engineering mounts on my Focus now, so I have always known what to expect. But if you are expecting it to remain a stock feeling, you are going to be disappointed.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
And if you search this forum, you'll find post after post about people installing poly mounts then being unhappy with the vibrations and/or having them fail within a year, and switching back to OEMs.
So my take is if you want performance above all else, go poly; if you want comfort, go OEM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Humphrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91540
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Humphrey Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I never said anything negative about the poly mounts. I have always gone with poly mounts in the past and I have VF Engineering mounts on my Focus now, so I have always known what to expect. But if you are expecting it to remain a stock feeling, you are going to be disappointed.
Ah. Well, I bought a dogbone mount as I thought I needed, (it was the engine mount I needed) but ended up getting all new mounts from rockauto just to have all new mounts.. As I have the OEM dogbone, I have pressed out the old inserts and will purchasing new ones so that I can push them into the OEM dogbone so that when (if) the one I bought goes out, I will be ready. Just need to get nice trans/engine mounts for when (if) the ones i have now do go out. I am interested in improving my car so I have high hopes.

Got to looking but cannot find VF bushings, just the whole mount. :/ Eh, when I get the money I will get it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
suby6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57613
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 suby6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So it seems to have broken in and the vibes are more tolerable. No longer seems like parts are going to rattle off lol. Still a bit annoying in heavy traffic but not as bad as it was at first.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I put Prothane in mine and loved the way it felt under acceleration, but at idle, holy crap. They came out 2 months later. They never did settle down. That is in a 2.3 if it matters.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
firebirdjoe91
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 65768
What I Drive: 2001 zetec 5spd atlantic blue se

FF Reputation: 1 firebirdjoe91 Good Standing Member
poly mounts

in all honesty i would never go with the poly inserts 1) oe dogbone was never meant for them the increased stress of poly mounts (do to the increase in thickness) can cause them to wear out prematurely. 2) if u don't grease the poly inserts when installing (nobody ever does) the mount cant move like they're designed to (yes there are supposed to move just not much) and will fail.

fswerks has the vf replacement mounts all poly that are the best option in m opinion for decreased movement but yes they will rattle you to death. if you cant handle this just go oem.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
disciplerocks
Pushrods

Fan#: 59330
What I Drive: 04 ZX3, 12 Hatch

FF Reputation: 13 disciplerocks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
For the record, I had those in for a little over 3 years and loved them. Yes they do need time to break in and it won't ever be as smooth as stock again, but its not that bad.
89 Bronco II XLT Well the body is still stock, what's left of it
Old 11-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113745
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bonesacked Good Standing Member
I installed all three poly mounts at the same time, VF engine/transaxle mount and CFM dogbone with street bushing. When I was about to turn the car on for the first time, judging by people's descriptions of the vibrations, I was preparing myself for a 9.8 earthquake; what I got was a massage chair. I dunno what the deal is but IMO people severely over exaggerate the vibrations, even at idle. I can't tell if the mounts "broke in" and softened up, or if I just got used to the vibration, which wasn't even bad at all to begin with, but now I don't even notice or care about it, even when my engine drops <1K at idle.

This mod is designed for race cars, if you're not the "race car" kind of person then replacing engine mounts with poly ones isn't really something you should be doing. Personally, I love it, because RALLY CAR!

All that being said, almost my entire interior rattles now because it's a piece of crap, my A/C doesn't work and therefore I never use it, and I have a manual transmission. I'll be removing the entire A/C system as well as finishing my interior strip job whenever I get around to it. If you have an automatic, run the A/C all the time, and value luxuries, then this mod is definitely not for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks