Turbo Manifold: Cast vs. Tubular - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turbo Manifold: Cast vs. Tubular

I am starting to piece together the parts for my t3/t4 turbo build on my 07 2.0. Most of what I find out there is only the cast iron manifold, but I have seen a few tubular equal length manifolds but I only see them with a cheaper turbo kit on ebay. I'd like to find a tubular manifold to get equal length runners or have one made if i have to. Does anyone have a tubular manifold or bought one of the cheap tubular manifolds off ebay? I'd like to know how it does before i spend the money on something. Also if anyone has had a cast manifold and a tubular one i'd like to know if you saw any kind of performance difference between the 2. Just trying to figure out if I should just get the cast manifold or try and find or make a tubular one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
SlowestSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94541
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SlowestSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
You really need to decide what kind of power you want and then go from there.
Its hard to select the right turbo, injectors, piping, exhaust, exhaust manifold if you have no idea what power you want to make.

There are plenty of kits out there offering a tubular or cast design, here are a few off the top of my head.

Focus-Power
Topspeed
Turbo Turtle
FSWERKS

Heres some links incase you have trouble finding Turtle or Tom

Turtle
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324911

Focus-Power
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226552

Topspeed and FSWERKS can easily be found with a google search.
Im sure there are many more options but thats all i have time for ATM
Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

I plan on using a T3/T4 turbo, hopefully around 20psi, planning on around 450HP give or take. It will still be probably another 8 to 10 months before I finish getting all the parts for the turbo kit and engine build I just couldn't find a tubular manifold anywhere. Topspeed makes one and it looks awesome really but its $1,000!!! I can get a cast log style for $150 and thats probably why no one really goes with the tubular manifold haha I messaged an ebay seller to see if he would be willing to sell just his tubular manifold by itself out of a kit just waiting to hear back, that might be another cheap option for a tubular manifold. Even though I will say the one on ebay looks much cheaper and the one at Topspeed looks like it would work the best. We might have a cheap alternative on ebay, but I seriously doubt it will work any better than a cast log manifold.

Thanks for the help though! I would probably would have never found the topspeed one if I didn't know it existed and its nice to know who is putting together working kits for the focus. I am running the duratec though not a zetec so that limits my options alittle too.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
koke'sfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69779
What I Drive: 05 silver st

FF Reputation: 1 koke'sfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well I did my own turbo kit too and I went with a cast manifold from ebay but if u want to use a big turbo I should go with the tubular I thing the equal lenght only helps to spool the turbo faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
I plan on using a T3/T4 turbo, hopefully around 20psi, planning on around 450HP give or take. It will still be probably another 8 to 10 months before I finish getting all the parts for the turbo kit and engine build I just couldn't find a tubular manifold anywhere. Topspeed makes one and it looks awesome really but its $1,000!!! I can get a cast log style for $150 and thats probably why no one really goes with the tubular manifold haha I messaged an ebay seller to see if he would be willing to sell just his tubular manifold by itself out of a kit just waiting to hear back, that might be another cheap option for a tubular manifold. Even though I will say the one on ebay looks much cheaper and the one at Topspeed looks like it would work the best. We might have a cheap alternative on ebay, but I seriously doubt it will work any better than a cast log manifold.

Thanks for the help though! I would probably would have never found the topspeed one if I didn't know it existed and its nice to know who is putting together working kits for the focus. I am running the duratec though not a zetec so that limits my options alittle too.
team duratec #94
D23 crew #9.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97408
What I Drive: 08 Silverfrost Metallic SE, 5 speed

FF Reputation: 2 Gettysburg150 Good Standing Member
OP, if you can weld you could make you're own too. It may not be the fanciest thing out there but with a little thought and planning I'm sure you could make one to work well for your goals.

Sedan Revolution Two Three Zero
FRPP, "Stealth" CAI, Debadged, wider tires, louder stereo, turbo mainfold in the wrong place...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, that has crossed my mind too since I have an old stock mani-cat that I could cut the flange off of, I know how to weld and i'm sure I could fabricate my own but I don't have a welder and all the supplies, I was thinking of asking a fab shop in my area how much it would cost for them to custom make one though.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Might be better off buying one..

Name:  turbo-exhaust-manifold.jpg
Views: 2901
Size:  93.5 KB
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Ewe that's nasty looking
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

haha yeah after seeing stuff like that it makes you just want to buy one! I probably am just going to buy one, but i'm confident enough in my fabrication skills that mine would not turn out this bad if I had to make my own. That guy obviously hasn't fabbed too many parts himself haha
Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97408
What I Drive: 08 Silverfrost Metallic SE, 5 speed

FF Reputation: 2 Gettysburg150 Good Standing Member
Fabbed too many parts? Hell it looks like someone forgot to turn the gas bottle on!

Just because everyone says they know how to weld, doesn't mean they know how to weld. Same with driving, drinking, and just about everything else lol

Sedan Revolution Two Three Zero
FRPP, "Stealth" CAI, Debadged, wider tires, louder stereo, turbo mainfold in the wrong place...

Bookmarks & Social Networks