light tundra focus build - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #31
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96605
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 Tundrafoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
make sure to get wet-dry sandpaper and keep the lights wet while you sand them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVT170 View Post
Loving the modifications so far. I always thought this color of focus was so underrated and has so much potential to look bad a$$. Keep it light, keep it bright, and the car will look amazing. Avoid the temptation to black everything out like the lights and wheels and you'll have a winner IMHO.
I agree with you. I thought about doing the inserts black in the headlights but decided against it for this very reason.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Have you ever considered doing something like a "black chrome" tint for inside the headlights? I did it on mine and absolutely love the look. It still looks OEM without the chrome standing out so much. It's just a personal taste mod and makes more difference on a dark car like mine, but I like it much better than all out black and the unmodified chrome.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fordsvt View Post
Have you ever considered doing something like a "black chrome" tint for inside the headlights? I did it on mine and absolutely love the look. It still looks OEM without the chrome standing out so much. It's just a personal taste mod and makes more difference on a dark car like mine, but I like it much better than all out black and the unmodified chrome.
You have any pictures so I could see? I am also nervous about pulling apart the headlights...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #35
02fordsvt
Meh.

You almost have to see them in person to get a real taste of how they look but here's a couple pictures that may give you an idea. Depending on the light, they can look like slightly dark chrome to an almost black from a distance. The part I like the best is that the black chrome blends the inside of the light together so the projectors don't stand out so awkwardly.

It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

I do like that! it really fits with the car. What kind of paint did you use?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #37
02fordsvt
Meh.

This: http://www.carid.com/universal-paint...Fc6j4AodpS4AWw

The quality of the paint job up close leaves much to be desired, but I think you can blame me for that more that the paint itself. The hardest part was not getting too dark; I screwed up on the first one and had to remove all the paint and start over.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably try spraying the housing with plain clear coat mixed with a little black paint for a much more even coating. That's basically all your doing with black chrome is tinting it like you can do with taillights.
It's Bryan, not Brian
Old 03-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #38
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

Update!!

Finally have time for a huge update:

First off I bought some new (to me) ST wheels off a member on here and installed them when it snowed heavily (at least for the Portland area) because my other tires were nearing their end of life and i wanted to be able to safely get to work. Check out below to see pics of the wheels.

A few months back i put on SVT suspension I bought from a member on here. It was a fairly easy swap. Took a big breaker bar to loosen some bolts but nothing was stuck permanently that required cutting (I thank Portland for not using salt! not that we need it)

Pics of the car with SVT springs on

Went to get an alignment the other day and found out I had a bent strut so instead of just replacing the struts i went ahead and bought all new SVT struts and shocks from summit racing, and FRPP springs from Massive.

Now while I waited for these parts to arrive, I ran into the leaking thermostat issue and promptly replaced it with a CFM upgraded housing and the new 180* thermostat I have had laying around for about 3 months. Finally gave me an excuse to put it in. Along with that I ordered the new PCV hose and front 02 sensor cause mine was experiencing the collapse and I kept getting a CEL for a lean o2. it would go on and off every 200 miles or so. Installed the new one and haven't had a CEL for over 500 miles now. No pics of the o2 sensor but we all know what that looks like.

After the housing change it was back to the suspension. The new parts arrived and i began to assemble the struts. and then the next day installed everything. this was the second time i did my suspension in about 2000 miles. Everything was super easy to get loose. Didn't need a breaker bar at all. It wasn't loose it just wasn't rusted together. made the install go by way faster and was done within 4 hours for all four corners.

Also a while back i started looking at threads where people made a little scoop from the front of the grill to the intake tube. Now most people just cut a giant hole in there radiator cover and layed down some material to direct air into the engine bay near where the intake scoop was. I had one issue with this design. Although it directed air into the engine bay it allowed it to flow over and around the scoop as well. So here is my take on the grill scoop.

It is not the most beautiful thing, and it was my first time playing with fiberglass (its not as easy as it looks) but It directs the air INTO the intake scoop which I would hope would be a sort of ram air effect on the engine. I plan on running datalogs back to back with the stock radiator cover and with my modded one once i get the tuner to hook back up to my computer. I installed win 8 and I think that was a mistake for the tuning device. I will have to get my little linux laptop and put xp or win 7 on there to use the software again.

I'm going to update later with a post about the differences between the stock radiator cover and my modified one. (i would never cut up my stock stuff just in case i need to return it to its original glory)

Almost time to give my car that nice summer wax as well! just gotta get sunny for a few days that i don't work!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #39
Tundrafoci
Focus Enthusiast

I also gotta say that the SVT suspension was super nice. Gave a little drop, a great improvement in handleing, and I couldn't tell tell the difference between the stock springs and svt springs comfort wise. and I'm considering getting another set of the SVT struts and shocks just so I can switch between those springs and the FRPP springs. The FRPP springs make the car handle perfectly. It feels neutral i guess. It was a trip taking the first turn. I could tell everything had changed. When I got out to a mountain roads (actually a road actually called mountain road). It was a frikin blast. I think the FRPP springs are meant for that fast curvy twisty action. It seems like it soaked up the bumps perfectly when going fast. But going slow (<40mph) over bumps with those springs does bring a sort of harshness to the ride. But these still haven't really been broken in or aligned yet. Got an appointment tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #40
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lots O' Work

Lookin' good - suspension can do wonders eh?

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks