Door Handle Broken Inside - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Door Handle Broken Inside

As I try to enter my car this afternoon I pulled on my handle and I heard a snap inside of my door. Now the handle pulls away freely from my door. The only way I can open my door is from the handle inside.

For a few months now my handle would require (slightly more than normal) force to open. This is not much but it was apparent and not all of the time. The passenger side door is kind of starting to do the same thing...

Is this easily repairable? I noticed that there are hex screws that align the interior of the door. If I were to remove them, what am I looking at that is needed to fix this? I have an '07.

Can anyone please provide me with a thread, link, anything to get this fixed? I really want to get this taken care of before the weather starts to get a bit worse out.

As always, I appreciate any and all help from you guys. Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, I've been searching through these forums for similar threads and I have found a few, including how to take the entire interior panel off of the door. But I still have a couple of questions:

1) Will the part I require be the same that is in an '02 or '03 model as my '07? I'm looking for year specific issues/replacements but can't seem to find anything here in FF.

2) Once I get the interior panel off, is this part fairly easy to replace? I'm having a hard time locating a step-by-step tutorial as I have found before for my reverse switch and CMC. What do I need to do with the window? Tips and tricks? etc...

Can anyone help me out? I'll continue to look around these threads but any help is appreciated!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
mark3inline
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 19701
What I Drive: 04 Wht ZTW

FF Reputation: 3 mark3inline Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
youtube

a # of videos r there 00-07 good luck
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3inline View Post
a # of videos r there 00-07 good luck
I've searched on youtube and the only videos that display for "Door Reinforcement" or anything of the likes are for broken door handle replacement. Nothing shown on the actual Reinforcement replacement. I found one from on here but I'm still unclear on the beginning removal found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiTHE9lmbYc

I can't make out much of the beginning as it is a slideshow of sorts and it is hard for me to depict what is actually going on through most of it. But towards the middle/end it is a how to video on finishing up...

I am thankful for any further help if anyone can lead me in the proper direction???

Oh, and will the part I require be the same that is in an '02 or '03 model as my '07?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
im not sure if the part you will need will be identical but if i had to bet on it it is, manufacturers try to use the same simple parts as long as possible to avoid paying for new designs and manufacturing new parts, i have an 07 as well and i've replaced my entire A/C system on the interior with 02-04 focus parts, the A/C switches, cables, track, blend door, blower motor, they are all identical from 01-07. im not sure about the door handles and parts but if i had to bet on it they should be the same, i would go to the junkyard and find a previous year focus to pull the interior door skins off and pull out everything from the handle to the motor to save money, or pull yours apart first and figure out exactly what broke... then go to the junkyard and see if the older parts match your broken one, once again i have a strong feeling they are the same but not 100%
Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
im not sure if the part you will need will be identical but if i had to bet on it it is, manufacturers try to use the same simple parts as long as possible to avoid paying for new designs and manufacturing new parts, i have an 07 as well and i've replaced my entire A/C system on the interior with 02-04 focus parts, the A/C switches, cables, track, blend door, blower motor, they are all identical from 01-07. im not sure about the door handles and parts but if i had to bet on it they should be the same, i would go to the junkyard and find a previous year focus to pull the interior door skins off and pull out everything from the handle to the motor to save money, or pull yours apart first and figure out exactly what broke... then go to the junkyard and see if the older parts match your broken one, once again i have a strong feeling they are the same but not 100%
Thank you Phestezio for the reply! I am thinking the same thing as my CMC was similar to earlier and later models as well.

Now I just need to locate a decent step by step tutorial (pics or video) to perform this swap.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

I have one final question after plenty of searching and part order...

I've read in another thread that someone disconnected the negative on the battery (guessing it is because you are required to disconnect any plugs you have on the power windows, locks, etc). Obviously, there will be issues with opening/closing my power windows with the battery disconnected.

Is this necessary?

Sorry for another stupid question. But thank you for your help.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
it is not 100% necessary to disconnect the battery for what you are going to be doing but it is always a good idea to disconnect it if you expect to be messing with any of the electronics just to be safe, especially if you aren't very electronic savvy.

i would roll the windows up all the way to get them out of your way when you take the interior door skin off. Open the door and Pop the little plastic circle (screw cover) out from inside your door handle bevel to reveal a torx screw (could possibly be a 8mm), remove that screw and you can remove the door handle trim from the door skin by gently prying it away from the door skin, once it is loose disconnect your power window and power lock switches and pull on the handle and slide the handle trim off. Next remove the torx screws from the edge of interior door skin (i believe they were T-15 or T-20 torx screws, and there should be about 8 or so of them total on the front, bottom and back side of the door skin). Also remove the plastic trim covering your power side mirrors (on the inside of the car), with the door open pry on the bottom of the mirror cover until the clip comes free then pull it straight back towards the door handle (it takes a little force) to free it from the other 2 clips (there are 3 in total per door). Once you have done all that the only thing holding the door skin on is the stationary door handle (the one that doesn't actually do anything you just grab it to close the door... i guess you could also call it an arm rest). You will notice that there is a line around the face of the handle that pretty much covers the entire handle section, to remove that take a screwdriver or other flat prying tool and gently pry it between that line (i would do it on the bottom so that any small scuffs aren't seen as easily... you are prying on plastic), you will see/feel the screwdriver go in between it and once it does simply pry it away, it comes off fairly easily, that reveals 2 final screws (i believe they were 8mm), remove these 2 screws and the interior door skin will be free. just grab the interior door skin and pull the bottom away from the door and then pull the whole thing straight up and it will come free. At which point you can toss it to the side because what you want is inside the door (pain in the ass).

If i knew exactly what was broken i could try and help walk you through replacing it but all you need to do after that point is rip off the foam that covers the inside of the door to protect it from water and debris and you can take a peek inside and see what has broken. let me know what you find and i can help walk you through replacing it. also i have a gutted 07 so all my interior panels are off so i could take some pictures of inside the door for you if that would help. let me know how it goes
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Phestezio.

I don't expect it to be a problem to remove the interior door panel. I'm worried about damaging my window.

I'll leave my window up the entire time while repairing my door and hope I don't damage my window! ;)
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
DON'T rip the inner door water shield off, cut the adhesive carefully with a razor blade while you slowly pull the edges up, then you can simply restick it back down when the job is done. The adhesive never dries.

The outside door handle breaks easier when the latch at back of door tightens up from no lube, the extra effort needed to open door then breaks the outer handle actuating tab.

Bookmarks & Social Networks