Tuning my ford focus zx3? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
remikkad2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119920
What I Drive: 2007 grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 remikkad2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tuning my ford focus zx3?

I am new to tuning cars and i just recently puchased a Ford Focus Zx3. I am wondering what are some cool things i can do to the car in a decent price range?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Humphrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91540
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 Humphrey Good Standing Member
Quote:
What I Drive: 3007 grey zx3
Well seems your car from the year 3007 is far better then any of 21st century.

But I too am interested in improving my car which is a ZX3 but from the year 2005. :P
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
jonny52z
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119942
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3000

FF Reputation: 1 jonny52z Good Standing Member
My recently purchased 06 Focus zx3

Hey guys,

I haven't gotten so far into engine/drive train performance so far yet, but I only plan to only do intake/exhaust kits. Besides its an automatic. If I am going to dramatically upgrade HP then I want to feel through my shifts. But hey, the wife can't drive stick anyway and I wanted a car she could drive also. I purchased the car is pretty bad shape so Italked the guy down to $3700. This gave me $1300 to play with after I sold my truck for $5k.

I have had the car for 2 weeks and I put alot of work into her to get rid of the grandma look. So far she is looking pretty gilfy. Take a peek below:

Current Performance Modifications:
06 Focus Spring Kit M-5560-ZX3B (1.5 inch drop) =
06 Focus Damper Kit M-18000-ZX3B =$334
215/55/16 Hankook Ventus x4 = $320 (I was recommended to go up in size because the stock 205/50/16 is less common/harder to find if you get a flat and its a bit taller and takes up more wheel well space =)
I installed rear springs=$0 Install Springs (Front),Tires, Alignment=$420
New Boss Double-Din touchscreen CD player+dash kit+wiring harness=$140 (awaiting install)
Total=$1204
Current Exterior Modifications:
Krylon Satin Black Painted 16" Fat five Stockies

I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Focus Before-After.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	19715  

Name:	WP_000994.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	19716  

Name:	WP_000998.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	19717  

Name:	WP_000991.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	19718  

Name:	WP_001001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	19719  

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
00ZX3red
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107099
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 00ZX3red Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny52z View Post
Hey guys,

I haven't gotten so far into engine/drive train performance so far yet, but I only plan to only do intake/exhaust kits. Besides its an automatic. If I am going to dramatically upgrade HP then I want to feel through my shifts. But hey, the wife can't drive stick anyway and I wanted a car she could drive also. I purchased the car is pretty bad shape so Italked the guy down to $3700. This gave me $1300 to play with after I sold my truck for $5k.

I have had the car for 2 weeks and I put alot of work into her to get rid of the grandma look. So far she is looking pretty gilfy. Take a peek below:

Current Performance Modifications:
06 Focus Spring Kit M-5560-ZX3B (1.5 inch drop) =
06 Focus Damper Kit M-18000-ZX3B =$334
215/55/16 Hankook Ventus x4 = $320 (I was recommended to go up in size because the stock 205/50/16 is less common/harder to find if you get a flat and its a bit taller and takes up more wheel well space =)
I installed rear springs=$0 Install Springs (Front),Tires, Alignment=$420
New Boss Double-Din touchscreen CD player+dash kit+wiring harness=$140 (awaiting install)
Total=$1204
Current Exterior Modifications:
Krylon Satin Black Painted 16" Fat five Stockies

I hope this helps!
Looking really good so far. I'd like to do the same. Pimp out my granny looking red zx3. Had mine for over a year now. Still love her :) it's been months since your last post. Love to see what youve done to her since your last post.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
jonny52z
Focus Rookie

Hi Red,

I haven't done much to the exterior since. I actually had alot of problems with its engine. I don't know how relevant this is to you. I have heard that the first gen foci are easier to work on. Here's what I have done so far:

1) Leaking oil valve cover into the #1 Spark plug hole. Solution: Change Valve cover
2) Rough idle, hesitation at full throttle. Bad gas mileage ~21 mpg. Solution: PCV delete: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361177
2a) I also removed the tumble flaps. Because you have to pull the intake manifold on this engine to change the pcv valve, I decided to clean and inspect the tumble flaps. Upon inspection they were already breaking up and plastic pieces were being sucked into the engine. I removed the IMRC assembly and pulled out the rod, broke off the flaps from the rod and re installed the rod and assembly as normal.

It was a fun job and only took an afternoon and about $80 in parts. (I also installed a short ram intake filter because my stock air filter assembly was kaput and expensive to replace). Both of the old pcv ports upper & lower are venting to atmosphere. Lower has an inline oil/water separator catch can so it doesn't dump oil on the ground. I hope this helps, there are plenty of resources here to help you. good luck.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
jonny52z
Focus Rookie

Oh and I went from 21 mpg to 27 mpg after all said an done. I still have a IMRC check engine light but I heard that can be fixed by reprogramming the ECU somehow.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny52z View Post
Oh and I went from 21 mpg to 27 mpg after all said an done. I still have a IMRC check engine light but I heard that can be fixed by reprogramming the ECU somehow.
The imrc issue you have is more then likey the electronic vacuum switch. As your tumble flaps are in the open postion.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
00ZX3red
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107099
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 00ZX3red Good Standing Member
Sucks that you've been having so many engine issues. I have a 2000 zx3, with 342,000kms. Bought her at 264k. Haven't had to do any engine work at all, guess ive been graced with luck.

I've had to replace ball joints tie rods and rear drums, as well as the e brake and alternator. Simple things that are bound to wear over time.

I have a CEL for bank 1 running too lean. Tried to access my AFR (air/fuel ratio) via my obd2 Bluetooth. But to no avail.

I've always wanted to tune my foci into a red rocket, but just haven't found the time or funds to do so. I like checking up here on different mods others have done to give me insight into what I might wanna do.

I know the engines got tons of kms. But she's still strong. Heck, she gets beaten daily. Redline several times a day.
Would just hate to waste money on mods and shoot a piston through the hood weeks later.

Was the PCV delete worth it? Other than increasing your fuel economy, what perks does having it free flowing give? I also have a rough idle, at times. If I idle for say a minute. Revs drop from 850 to below 700, and I start hearing clanging of engine parts, quick tap of the gas, brings her back to 850 until another minute passes by.

Wondering if I do the PCV delete if this could improve this issue I'm having. Or maybe its completely unrelated all together.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Now tint the windows and get a rear wing, if you have the time smoke your rear headlights and do the blackout headlight mod where you crack open the stock healights and paint some of the chrome black alot of nickle and dime stuff that really adds to the look.

Bookmarks & Social Networks