stock zetec, looking to add some performance parts. where do i start? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
dubby88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119720
What I Drive: 2002 grey zts

FF Reputation: 1 dubby88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
stock zetec, looking to add some performance parts. where do i start?

Hi! I have a fully stock 02 zts focus with the 2.0L dohc zetec engine. I am a "entry level " car enthusiast lol. I've done a lot of routine maintenance and pre maintenance to the car, tune ups etc..but I'd like to start throwing some performance parts onto my motor. I need some direction..what is a good place to start? I'm thinking about putting an aftermarket intake on it, and possibly exhaust.. but I'd like to slowly start tricking the motor out n start pumping some more horsepower out of it.. open to any and all suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Pb-foot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62873
What I Drive: 2004 Silver 3dr SVTF w/EAP

FF Reputation: 1 Pb-foot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Before it will be possible to give you an answer that may work for you... how much are you willing to spend? If you will be doing the work, how much time do you have to work on it, and how many days can you be without it? BTW, how many miles on it?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
02rsv02zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114073
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 02rsv02zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I agree with above... As long as the motor has good compression and can handle the upgrades then a decent list is as follows...
Svt header (best header for our motor),flex, svt cat( or orp depending if u have emissions testing), catback exhaust...
Sct tuner ( contact turbo tom) or other tuner with tune for the mods...
Cold air intake or short ram or even svt intake system with a k&n filter...
65mm throttle body( more for throttle response)...
2000 intake manifold... Better flow
U will need that sct tuner for all of these...
Next u get into motor mods...
Raising compression by decking the head( would raise hp) but also make the motor interference...
Also installing aftermarket cam shafts with adjustable cam gears will net u some hp... But with cams they suggest new springs and might as well have the valve job done while their in there...
U can do all this stuff to make NA hp... Or u can spend about 3500 for a turbo kit and run less than 12#s on stock internals (again assuming ur motor can handle it)...
I haven't done all these mods but I have done tons of research on here and this question is asked very frequently... I'm sure Turbo tom will tell u the amount of hp(approx) each mod will net u... There are other things that people say will get u more hp but I can't attest to the reality of them(underdrive pulleys, ect)... I personally have gotten the 2000 intake manifold, cfm 65mm tb, svt header, flex and orp, magnaflow cat back, steeda 8mm wires and short ram intake with svt snorkel... I am doing the header setup and the intake manifold and throttle body hopefully this coming week and I'm sure I will see a huge difference... I already bought a sct tuner and tom has been more than helpful... Most of this stuff u will find in the buy sell trade section here... All this won't be cheap, but they are each worthwhile mods that really awaken our motors( all of course from what I've read in many, many post here)... Good luck and I'm
Sure if I'm Wrong about anything I'm sure someone will chime in... Once we kno more about the car and motor... The list will be easier to prioritize...

Last edited by 02rsv02zx3; 10-11-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
^This.

Additionally if you get adj. cam gears, Have them dyno tuned. I gained 5 WHP and 13 FTLBS TQ from having the cam gears Dyno tuned. It totally made the made the midrange TQ genie come out of the bottle FWIW

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 10-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Same here, I gained power everywhere.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Pb-foot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62873
What I Drive: 2004 Silver 3dr SVTF w/EAP

FF Reputation: 1 Pb-foot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Before you go throwing a lot of parts at it, be aware that putting a larger TB on before you improve airflow through the whole intake, exhaust, and the head, and before you raise compression, will cost you to lose a little low end torque... that's not something you want with an ATX. Also, larger TB => larger MAF housing... if you improve the ability to flow air everywhere else, but keep the stock MAF (and injectors), you will be choking the engine right at the beginning of the air stream (and starving it at the rail). If you want to get all the extra throttle response of a bigger TB, just "port" a new stock one (you'll get a fresh TPS with it... your '02 has the old style sensor that you can't replace without buying a whole TB anyway, and the goofy plastic butterfly).

But first, you will need to upgrade the power handling ability of your ATX before you add much more torque... the 4F27E is rated to handle only 5 ftlbs more than the motor makes in stock trim. A tune can give you some help with saving the trans (increase shift pressures) and that combined with a VB from Lentech will allow it to handle even more, but the direct clutch is a weak point and you don't want to build your engine for high-end performance if your trans can't handle it. Start with the ATX, either buy a Lentech, or buy a spare used trans, a 4F27E shop manual, the specialty tools, Red Eagle Powerpack clutches and steels, and rebuild the guts yourself (or with the help of a local shop). You can pack in one more clutch and steel into the direct clutch pack without machining, and two more (like Len does) with light work. Take care of your power handling first, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Last edited by Pb-foot; 10-12-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
LazerFocus91
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119665
What I Drive: 2000 Black SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 LazerFocus91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
im lokin for a tuner as well new too tuner used too trucks but I havva zetec as well I have an intake spacer eibach suspension all round.. cold ait intake do you really have too tune for that?? and far as chips how woul I go bout that and how could I contact tuner tom
Old 10-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Chips dont work they are fake you need a flasher like from tom. Plus get rid of the spacer they dont work either in fact your hindering the power a little bit cause this is a small engine, they work good on a truck that you would use for towing.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
here is how to get a hold of tom

AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com