SPI cold-temp knock - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
JBFocus02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109997
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Ford Foucs

FF Reputation: 1 JBFocus02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SPI cold-temp knock

Hi Everyone,

I posted this back in January:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309507

I must have posted it on the wrong board since no one replied; so I will try here.

Basically...this scenario still exists. The bummer part is that the engine knock is becoming audible at temperatures above freezing. The temps in my area dropped to 40-45 over the weekend, and each morning the knock could be heard until the engine warmed up. We do have a block heater (or at least a plug for one). I've never had the ability to plug it in, until now (we bought our first house just last month). I could just keep that plugged in all the time, but it's basically a space heater and I would rather not rack up huge electric charges.

Any thoughts on addressing the knock? I suppose experience with a block heater would be valuable advice too (is it really that expensive in terms of an electric bill? how long does it take to warm the engine block? etc.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
trooper T/diesel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111147
What I Drive: fixing SOHC focus, DDer 86 D troper

FF Reputation: 1 trooper T/diesel Good Standing Member
use a timer so it only heats about an hour in the morning i find that gets things up to 80+F, your not getting it up to full temp but you are taking most of the chill out of the block and since the block is all alloy theres a lot of heat transfer to the coolant and oil...

otherwise yea running a 1,500W block heater more or less the max a 15A 110V power cord can handle, 10 hours a night will be something like $45.00 a month at 0.10c a KWH
one hour a morning 7 days a week, is closer to $5.00 a month
at only $5.00 a month, if your all city driving and never really heat the engine up, the gas savings of having a heated engine could very well = the $5 in power or maybe a little better. with regular morning temps south of 25F

my spi has 5/20 oil with about 196K and on cold starts it makes some knock on start up at any temp under 50 or so.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
JBFocus02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109997
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Ford Foucs

FF Reputation: 1 JBFocus02 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the insight! I'm not sure how I forgot about using a timer...

The block heater is nice, but I'm wondering if there is a reason for the knock other than the cold. The knock gets louder as the temp gets colder, to the point where I'm worried about throwing rods. Perhaps I should be using higher-octane gas? I've heard that using 89 or 91 octane gas takes away the knock since it burns cleaner (maybe that's not right?)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Corvairkid
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 154746
What I Drive: 2007 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Corvairkid Good Standing Member
Its possible that the knock is coming from the lifters while the oil is cold and thick. The block heater would help the issue then, otherwise keep engine rpm down while its making noise and it shouldn't cause many issues. This seems reasonable to me since it goes away when warm.
As far as i know, higher octane fuel would only help with pre-detonation of the fuel, but that is typically more of a ping sound. I could be wrong though. Best of Luck

Bookmarks & Social Networks