ferret 15 project/s? 2 ZX3 as of 10/1 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ferret 15 project/s? 2 ZX3 as of 10/1

So I've been lurking long enough I though I might have earned the right to post a build thread finally. I'm just getting started, but basically I have 2 focus and both have projects needing to be finished and recorded.

First up: My DD 03 ZX3 auto. I'm not going to get to wild with this as of yet, but I'm building up the audio system to what most focuses never see. I just started glassing this afternoon if thats any hit as what it to come.

Next up is my Prize I won in the craiglist dance. After getting a tow home for fear of trashing the motor I'm in this 03 EAP screaming yellow SVT for under $1500. Its a win win, If I get the motor working I have a sweet car, if not The ZX3 gets a tonne of parts for cheap.

I just checked up on the motor as it was leaking out the thermostat and a little bit in cyl. #2. Something tells me a the goo gasket the previous owners slapped the car together with is the main culprit. I'm hoping the timing isn't out of whack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
just fix the leak on coolant and run a compression test, if its lower than normal then swap head gasket, timing isn't a pain in the ass with dohc motorsm the only thing with the svt that is a little trouble some is sometimes it throws a vct code
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXthrizzle05 View Post
just fix the leak on coolant and run a compression test, if its lower than normal then swap head gasket, timing isn't a pain in the ass with dohc motorsm the only thing with the svt that is a little trouble some is sometimes it throws a vct code
The previous owners got sloppy at the end, The head gasket is visibly orange goo in tube that you'd use on an old chevy. which is fine for you know, an old chevy. So head is coming off I need to to get a real gasket on there. I'm worried the valves are wrecked I could have sworn SVTs are interference. Also I couldn't find the the thermostat and the housing was orange goo'd (and leaking) the worst.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Audio work

Working on a custom tablet install for the blue car. Thats my DD and I'm defiantly putting more audio in this one.

Current deck with the metra adapter. For those putting a regular single din, use the metra. Down side is the kenwood went in protect mode and is now a paper weight.

So I went to the junk yard and picked up some supplies and pulled a mold from a 7" samsung tab3 to use. As you can see there are exactly 2 spots for magnets to keep the device from turning into a projectile during hard stops. Less than Idea but it is about the minimum I wanted.

Hacked up a junk dash and place and tacked for fitment.

Tapped over and fiberglassed from the back side, cleaned it up and started to use filler. Should be ready for paint eventually.

also here is a rough fitting I'm still not sure if I want to make a custom mount for the knob that will go to my line driver.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

I feel lucky as Kenny effin' Powers right now. After some trouble I ended up replacing the the thermostat housing and traded my zx3 coilpack and she fired right up and so much smoother than I had even hopped for. I'm moving my toys over to a friends paint/hotrod shop so If I'm lucky this SVT will look clean in the near future.

I should add that I'm like $1500 in this SVT so far.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Eastwood
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62095
What I Drive: 2001 zetec premium zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Eastwood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
do you have a good knowledge of how to wire everything to tablet and custom subwoofer with amplifier?
I am very interested in the same set up
Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

For the most part I have a pretty solid plan. It will be using a blue tooth module from isimple that has RCA out puts and I will have that run into a line driver (audio control matrix plus) What that should do is take the weak (maybe 2volt) signal, split it to 6 channels (3 sets of 2) and make them 10volt signal so you can run a nice clean source signal through your amplifier. In my case I have a 5 channel Kenwoood Excelon XR900, which is like 60 x4 @4ohm and 600x1 @2ohm or 400x1 @4ohm. I'm running punch speakers all around right now, 6.5 components in the front and 5x7 in the back which are rated for about 60rms so thats matched pretty decent. The sub currently hooked up is my p2 because it sounds better in the box I built for it than the p3 I picked up earlier.

As far as the build goes, I got distracted by my svt so its slow. I still need to figure out how I want to fit the what will be volume knob in. I really like the metal braket because its solid, but I'll probably just glass over the would be ash tray thing hole and drill some holes to use that. The bluetooth audio quality was questionable, It kinda sounds like its distorting at louder volumes. I need to get some lossless tracks and get my line driver hooked up and tune out the system better before I can pass judgement.

I also picked up an obdII torque dongle I was hoping to have some cool readouts ready to go for cheap, I haven't played with to even know if it works, because word is china still sell crap.

Anyway, When I'm done I'm probably going to sell the dash piece with tablet ,if I'm happy with the finished product. As far as the mk1 goes thats a 7" samsung tab 3. The nexus 7 was a little on the big size for my taste, but that upper curve is almost unusable to keep it from getting to flat. I honestly think something like a note 3 would actually be better because its your phone and stuff already. It wouldn't be that hard to make a USB charge port either, but tablet battery just last for freaking ever.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Been working on my brothers car more than mine lately. He's a lurker so its cool.
SVT rims, and Ford racing suspension upgrade (thanks to massive's sweet deals).

His 06ST, I can't wait till it settles and sits just above the tires.

So I had to fix my coil pack pigtail. I know its a common problem, so I'll throw up the picks on what I did to make it work right now. I have a clean pigtail I snagged from the junk yard and I pulled the pigtails for the duratec COP. I might put them on and test them on the ZX3

These should be in give or take the right order, It's pretty straight forward and you have to be willing to break something because its already broken. I don't see this as permanent fix because all that copper is just crusty and stiff. I had a lot of trouble getting it to take any solder and it was getting hot enough to get the plastic sheath gooey. Go get a new one, once your car is running again.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
GBear
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96572
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 GBear Good Standing Member
Any troubles putting in the rear springs? I have heard they can be a real pain. I have my set coming in on Tuesday!
Team Duratec #50

2005 Pitch Black ZX3
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

I posted in more detail in one of the how tos:

But honestly yeah, It took all afternoon and there were a few bolts that I just wouldn't have gotten off with out a lift to get a breaker bar on it. The springs might go in, but be sure to have somebody there for atleast that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks