Need some help with gauge cluster color - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
gcaveku
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116206
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 gcaveku Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need some help with gauge cluster color

Hey ya'll,

2005 ST here. Been wanting to change all my interior lights from the boring green to a clean white. I am interested in doing the gauge cluster today and I have searched and searched and found some good information. I know to sand the green off the back.

I'm curious though, will the stock bulbs show through? In other words, will it be white once I plug it back in? Or will I need to buy white bulbs?

I did this on my Saturn once and the bulbs I bought were extremely bright in some spots.

Thanks, much appreciated

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118822
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 alysonkc Good Standing Member
+1 this topic. This is exactly what I want to do / what I'm interested in
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
gcaveku
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysonkc View Post
+1 this topic. This is exactly what I want to do / what I'm interested in

Hi!

So I completely forgot I posted here. I ended up sanding the green off (a little difficult, in my opinion), it looked great until I put the cluster back together.

It was more of a peach. Also, the lighting was incredibly bright in some spots. So, I took it back apart (being very careful of the needles), painted where the green was with red nailpolish. I bought it for a dollar at the Dollar Store. I chose a dark red and did about 4 coats, continually checking to see that there were no spots on the cluster when I held it up against the light.

I put it back together, and it looks perfect. It was still a little bright in some spots, but I bought some opaque scrapbook paper in light grey and covered where the bright lights were over the gauge cluster. Don't use more than two sheets or it can lift the gauges up and block the needle from working. (pain in the ass!) It helped disperse the light a little better. I was tried red brake light tape; it was too pink.

I am pretty proud of what I did, and would do it again...maybe in a blue similar to a Volkswagen. Right now, it's more of a Mazda Red. I'd also like to create some sort of tunnel to build around the gauges similar to a Mitsubishi Lancer or Mazda 3.

Any questions let me know.

Gordon
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
alysonkc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118822
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Shadow Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 alysonkc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaveku View Post
Hi!

So I completely forgot I posted here. I ended up sanding the green off (a little difficult, in my opinion), it looked great until I put the cluster back together.

It was more of a peach. Also, the lighting was incredibly bright in some spots. So, I took it back apart (being very careful of the needles), painted where the green was with red nailpolish. I bought it for a dollar at the Dollar Store. I chose a dark red and did about 4 coats, continually checking to see that there were no spots on the cluster when I held it up against the light.

I put it back together, and it looks perfect. It was still a little bright in some spots, but I bought some opaque scrapbook paper in light grey and covered where the bright lights were over the gauge cluster. Don't use more than two sheets or it can lift the gauges up and block the needle from working. (pain in the ass!) It helped disperse the light a little better. I was tried red brake light tape; it was too pink.

I am pretty proud of what I did, and would do it again...maybe in a blue similar to a Volkswagen. Right now, it's more of a Mazda Red. I'd also like to create some sort of tunnel to build around the gauges similar to a Mitsubishi Lancer or Mazda 3.

Any questions let me know.

Gordon
Do you have a picture by chance? I wanna see what it looks like!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
gcaveku
Focus Rookie

The quality of these pictures are horrible. I might take my Canon out and see if I can get better pictures. The red is much darker at night. It's a bright red, but a looks like a deep red, if that makes any bit of sense.

Similar to a Mazda 3 at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1209342_10151732133534506_1464358251_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	19510  

Name:	995515_10151732133269506_1153358519_n.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	19511  

Name:	1380829_10151732133784506_1147523664_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	19512  

Old 10-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Very nice job!

FYI, I am 40 miles to your west!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
.2001.focus.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118677
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red se

FF Reputation: 1 .2001.focus. Good Standing Member
Hey man that looks nice... when i was reading that you put 4 coats of nail polish on it i was like "oh no"... I really didnt think any light would get through... Really nice though man... I may have to give this a try myself as I also hate that stock green.

Bookmarks & Social Networks