engine stuttering, and cuts off when a/c turned on - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100352
What I Drive: 2000 Red LX

FF Reputation: 1 RickyOG90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation engine stuttering, and cuts off when a/c turned on

Hey guys, I own a 2000 ford focus LX with the SOHC engine, and just last weekend, I finally got a/c back in my car, we had to replace the 2 a/c lines from the firewall, the accumulator, and the compressor, all brand new. The a/c was nice and ice cold, but just today in the evening [4 full days after the install] I get into my car after class, and its stuttering and the engine is shaking extra hard, with low rpm, and a voltage level of 13.95-14.01, with a slight smell of gas. Trying to back out of the parking spot resulted in heavier stuttering and shaking and half the time, causing the engine to die on me. When I turn on my a/c regardless of the fact while in park, i hear a *click* and my engine just cuts off. Turns out, after AAA checked it out before giving me a tow back home, the a/c clutch is locked up and causing the serp belt to slow down/stop and cutting off the engine.

My question is, what could possibly cause a new a/c compressor with clutch, to go bad and lock up, within a week, and cause my engine stuttering issues. As earlier today it was perfectly fine until i came back to my car 8 hours later. Any help asap would be great!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Bad tensioner perhaps? Or a faulty ac unit?

Bad tensioner could cause belt to jerk while running putting stress on pullys
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100352
What I Drive: 2000 Red LX

FF Reputation: 1 RickyOG90 Good Standing Member
nah, we actually just fixed the problem today lol turns out the ignition coil was bad and stopped powering 2 spark plugs resulting in the lack of power and turning on the a/c caused insufficient power to run. Thankfully, we bought a new one and now everything is working fine now. Thanks though! I appreciate the help

Bookmarks & Social Networks