Fuel Pumps - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
cwell71
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119186
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cwell71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fuel Pumps

When the topic of replacement Fuel Pumps is being discussed are members purchasing the 'Pump & Strainers set' or is it the 'Module Assembly'. Are there any pro's and con's to purchasing either other than price? My car is running rough, I suspect it's the PCV valve and hose because I'm able to hear a whistling every so often while accelerating. The elbow and hose were ordered and I'll be replacing the parts Monday but if this is not the root cause I guess I'll look at the fuel pump. I have a 2000 and understand they were plagued with issues. If the pump has lasted for 13 years is there a good chance it was already replaced with the updated unit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113745
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bonesacked Good Standing Member
My car is the same exact year and I also think it's the fuel pump that's causing it to run funky. I replaced the DPFE sensor and the PCV valve, and they had no effect. It's hard to describe, but does it sometimes do a light jerking motion at speed? Also sometimes it seems to lose power, especially when going up hills.

There was some sort of recall/replace thing for those pumps, however that's no guarantee that the previous owner(s) actually bothered to do it.

One thing you can do is put a can of Seafoam into your tank next time at the gas station before you fill up. I put one entire can twice in a row when I had to fill the tank and it seems to have made a pretty big improvement. Maybe the fuel pre-filter clogs up or something.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
cwell71
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119186
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cwell71 Good Standing Member
BoneSacked thanks for the reply, I did the Seafoam treatment and replaced the fuel filter. She ran strong for a while but every so often will either stutter under hard acceleration or the light jerky motion on the interstate. It's definitely hit and miss. Have you replaced your fuel pump?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Bonesacked
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113745
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bonesacked Good Standing Member
We have exactly the same problem, and no I haven't replaced it yet. There's a special tool that's needed to loosen and torque the retaining ring that holds the pump assembly in the fuel tank. My car needs a ton of work, it's kind of a piece of crap in the shape I bought it in, so I've been putting off the pump. I don't think it's a critical issue, I don't think the pump is going to cut out one day, if I remember right it had a problem with sucking air or something, which would confirm the stutters and power loss up hill.

The job doesn't seem that difficult, you just need some good (tall) jack stands and a jack that can lift the car up high. I'll try to get around to doing it before winter comes in.

Also I dunno what would be causing your whistling sound.

Bookmarks & Social Networks