DCT: Burning clutch smell inside cabin - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I've had lots of manuals and never burned a clutch. Does it smell like brake pad burning off? I've had that, but always just assumed it was someone in front of me.
I've smelled clutch burn many times from a couple of the manual cars I've owned. My Altima 3.5SE was a very easy car to smoke the clutch in, and it happened a few times during 'spirited' driving. I've only smelled burning brakes once in my Eclipse, and it's very different (to me anyway). I popped the hood on the Focus when I got it into the garage, and it was definitely coming from inside the engine compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
10'ses
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75646
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 1 10'ses Good Standing Member
First, I apologize for reviving such an old thread, but upon my searches this seemed to be the most relevant to the situation I experienced today.

I bought my Focus used last weekend with 39k miles on the clock (avg. mpg readout stayed a solid 35.9 for days until I reset it, so I'm guessing all highway). Today I was running it hard in sport shift mode in some traffic, and when I excited the freeway a guy in a Volt pulled up next to me honking saying my tire was smoking. I pulled into the closest parking lot and started chuckling as I've smelled burnt clutch before learning to drive my old 10' Foci.

My question is if this guy actually saw a cloud of smoke coming from under the car, I should probably take it back to the dealer right? Or is this "normal" under heavy driving and/or normal to Ford? Thankfully I do have the remainder of the powertrain warranty plus a 3mo/3k mile dealership warranty. Thanks!

Her: 2014 Black/Black SE 201a Sedan; DCT; Cold Weather Pkg (leased; staying stock)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I can't think of a good reason why an automated manual would ever smoke the clutch, but you're not the first person on this board to experience this. Unfortunately, you may have to wait until it actually breaks before taking it in, unless you think your service department can duplicate what you experienced.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
I have always driven mine hard, not beat it up , just made it do what its meant to do...never ever had one bit of slippage or anything at all related to the clutch...my clutches and tranny work flawlessly 3 years in
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
sanford12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116365
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sanford12 Good Standing Member
Never
2005 Ford 500, 2006 Freestyle, 2012 Focus Titanium pearl white
Old 10-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
10'ses
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 75646
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SEL Sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 1 10'ses Good Standing Member
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say I was "beating" on the car by any means. Just 2 or 3 runs with the button shifting between 60-80mph when traffic was clear. It probably didnt help I was crawling through some bad rush hour traffic not too long before I did this. Mine actually shifts great thus far (no noises/chattering) with the exception of this smoking and clutch smell. I should probably be more worried than I am at the moment but as noted by cbdallas, the dealership probably wont do anything unless they can recreate the problem. I will report back if I experience anything weird.

Her: 2014 Black/Black SE 201a Sedan; DCT; Cold Weather Pkg (leased; staying stock)
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Moved to "MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive."
<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernl View Post
I have always driven mine hard, not beat it up , just made it do what its meant to do...never ever had one bit of slippage or anything at all related to the clutch...my clutches and tranny work flawlessly 3 years in
Same here, but only at 1 year and 18,000 miles.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #29
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10'ses View Post
First, I apologize for reviving such an old thread, but upon my searches this seemed to be the most relevant to the situation I experienced today.

I bought my Focus used last weekend with 39k miles on the clock (avg. mpg readout stayed a solid 35.9 for days until I reset it, so I'm guessing all highway). Today I was running it hard in sport shift mode in some traffic, and when I excited the freeway a guy in a Volt pulled up next to me honking saying my tire was smoking. I pulled into the closest parking lot and started chuckling as I've smelled burnt clutch before learning to drive my old 10' Foci.

My question is if this guy actually saw a cloud of smoke coming from under the car, I should probably take it back to the dealer right? Or is this "normal" under heavy driving and/or normal to Ford? Thankfully I do have the remainder of the powertrain warranty plus a 3mo/3k mile dealership warranty. Thanks!
I only smelled the slightest burnt clutch smell in over 18,000 miles, maybe three times. And there are highway traffic jams in my area.

Car & Driver said they got a whiff of clutch in vigorous acceleration testst but I'd say that was to be expected.

I'd say the amount you are describing warrants a visit to the dealer.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
sanford12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116365
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sanford12 Good Standing Member
If you have glazed the clutch plates, that's not good. Burnt smell = slippage.
2005 Ford 500, 2006 Freestyle, 2012 Focus Titanium pearl white

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->