2002 Focus SVT suspension rebuild - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
boatingfool
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69193
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 boatingfool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 Focus SVT suspension rebuild

I just started the rebuild process of my Focus' suspension/steering. I have read through the forums and there is a wealth of advice and tech info.

The car has 106k miles and it just doesn't seem as tight as it once was. Also, the car has what I believe is bearing noise (front or axle support). It developed under warranty a few years ago, but the dealer said it was tire noise. Now, after 2 sets of tires, the noise is still there and it has gotten louder since moving to PA last winter. When I got the car inspected in the spring, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the car (big surprise!).

Yesterday I disassembled the front suspension and after fighting with an arbor press and hyd press I finally got the front hubs and bearings out of the spindles. I also removed the old front ball joints.

I received the Moog ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and sway bar links. I am waiting on the front bearings, urethane bushing kit, dampner kit and lower transmision mount.

I will order the rear bearings and axle support bearing this week.

I am debating on replacing the axles or having the CV's replaced. They are original and the car has 106k on it.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else I should look at replacing or inspect closer while doing this? Also, any advice for removing existing bushings and installing urethane bushings?

Thanks for any advice.

Vincent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
That seems like everything you need Vince.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
bigdukesix
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61025
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bigdukesix Good Standing Member
removing the bushings is gonna be a task. I was lazy and ordered new control arms from moog instead of just ball joints as I didnt' want to deal with the nightmare that is removing the bushing that has the shroud around it. Shroud has to be pressed off, then you cut the bushing in half with a hacksaw, rip the rest of it off of the inner sleeve, then grind through the inner sleeve to remove it from the mounting shaft, making sure you dont damage the mounting shaft in the meantime. then you get to cut the rivets out of the old arm and put the new ball joint on. $100 for a new arm is much more economical than all of that. something to consider. the moog arms dont have urethane bushings nor do they have greasable ball joints.

you might consider replacing the cv joints if you are game for it. would be a real shame to have it all apart, not replace those and have one fail 4000 miles down the road and have to do it all over again just to get to that part.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
boatingfool
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69193
What I Drive: 2002 Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 boatingfool Good Standing Member
Progress

I took a few days off from this. Took the daughter out in the dune buggy Sunday afternoon and started back tonight.

I used a torch as recommended by the instructions that came with the Front Lower Control arm bushings. The first seemed long and drawn out, but then I figured it out. I had it clamped to a saw horse. I heated the bushing (melted) and then the metal casing for a few minutes. Then, using a large screw driver inserted into one of the mounting holes for the rear bushing, I attempted to spin the outer case until it rotated. At that point I could remove the heat and continue to spin it until I worked it off. Much easier and quicker than burning the whole thing. After that, I used a razor knife to cut the remaining bushing piece off the shaft, and scraped the remaining residue. I used a BernzOmatic propane torch playset (Playskool, we make learning fun!). The forward bushing pressed right out after I trimmed the forward lip and pressed it aft on the control arm. Tomorrow I will finish cleaning it up and install the new bushings and ball joints.

I am glad I have a second vehicle so I can take my time with this. This isn't a quick weekend project unless you are going full speed and have everything lined out.

I was hoping I could find a shop that replaced CV joints instead of replacing the axle assy. It might be cheaper than ordering a new Axle assy and since I have the time, might be better. Replacing the CV's is probably the best course since I have everything apart. You are correct, I don't want to have to tear it back apart in a couple months.

Thanks,
Vincent
Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
focus_family
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72232
What I Drive: 00 White SE 02 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 2 focus_family Good Standing Member
im located in hagerstown md and pass a red svt right off of greecastle pike everyday is it yours? im able to help ya out
Sedan Revolution #214
White 2000 Focus SE
CD Silver 2002 SVT Focus #1255

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->