Need help picking performance direction - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
SVTxSmeggers
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100600
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTxSmeggers Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need help picking performance direction

So I'm looking for performance mods that will boost my hp and torque, I've thought about the obvious (turbo/supercharger) but I think I've gone off that for another year. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Depends on your performance goals, budget, timeline, etc. The only way to make any real power is to go FI. Turbo is a better bang for your buck, but is overall more costly and more difficult to install. Supercharger isn't quite bolt-on, but close to it.

Bolt-ons do surprisingly little for the SVT since it is essentially maxed out from the factory. Tune, intake, exhaust, and ORP/HFC will certainly help, especially in driveability, but not a whole lot of HP/TQ to gain there. If you do end up going FI, you may have to replace some of these parts anyway depending on which direction you go.

I would say that if you are set on going FI, but need to save up for it first, then spend your money on suspension and drivetrain upgrades. Tires, spring/coils and dampers, sway bars, short throw shifter, motor mounts, etc.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SVTxSmeggers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
Depends on your performance goals, budget, timeline, etc. The only way to make any real power is to go FI. Turbo is a better bang for your buck, but is overall more costly and more difficult to install. Supercharger isn't quite bolt-on, but close to it.

Bolt-ons do surprisingly little for the SVT since it is essentially maxed out from the factory. Tune, intake, exhaust, and ORP/HFC will certainly help, especially in driveability, but not a whole lot of HP/TQ to gain there. If you do end up going FI, you may have to replace some of these parts anyway depending on which direction you go.

I would say that if you are set on going FI, but need to save up for it first, then spend your money on suspension and drivetrain upgrades. Tires, spring/coils and dampers, sway bars, short throw shifter, motor mounts, etc.
FI?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Forced Induction, whether by turbocharging or supercharging (or both!)

You'll also see NA thrown around, meaning Natural Aspiration/Naturally Aspirated.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
SVTxSmeggers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
Forced Induction, whether by turbocharging or supercharging (or both!)

You'll also see NA thrown around, meaning Natural Aspiration/Naturally Aspirated.
Yea I knew NA and have seen FI but never knew what it meant. Thanks for the clear up and if there's not much NA stuff to do besides intake, exhaust, and tune then next year I'll be going turbod

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
SlowestSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94541
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SlowestSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
If your doing the intake just get a drop in K&N with your stock airbox, if you search around you will find its just as effective as any of the other intakes available.
If you want to do exhaust get an ORP or High flow cat, id suggest orp if your going FI.
The stock exhaust flows well and a cat-back is a very minimal gain (if any) for the price.
A 67mm Throttle Body and Tune (I recommend Tom's Tune) would be the most useful if you plan on going FI in the future you can still use them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks