SCT Custom Tuning for the MKIII 5M / DCT - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #51
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Then how would you even consider making a post assuming anything?

Tom is repeating himself over and over in this thread, yet there are still people posting ridiculousness.
By that I meant I don't know what tuning actually adjusts, and what datalogging actually logs. What post did I make regarding this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #52
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Since everyone keeps crying.
From Tom's website.

Quote:

DURATEC Ti-VCT Tune – NEW! (+2012 Ford Focus)

With our basic tune, owners with simple bolt-ons like intake, exhaust, header can expect 5-7whp increase in performance. In addition, you’ll see better fuel economy, increased rev limit, better throttle response and speed governor removal.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #53
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
By that I meant I don't know what tuning actually adjusts, and what datalogging actually logs. What post did I make regarding this?
What a tune adjust , there is over 100 things changed in most any tune the biggest things is the timing , fuel , idle , rev and or speed limiter , fan temp settings , Alternator settings and much much more , I could go into what changed like closed and open loop fueling and so on but most wouldnt understand it

What dataloging logs and why , when I datalog I want to see what the air fuel ration is as this is the most important this to keep the engine safe under wide open throttle , the 2012 has this built in and can be seen when datalogging this is why datalogging is SO important ,

next thing I want to watch is the knock sensor if there is to much timing then the knock sensor will show this and will show how much timing thats causing knock to keep the engine safe another reason its very important to datalog so your tune can be made a custom tune to your engine

You datalog the load , maf voltage , engine nd intake temps because a lot of the calculations come from what the engine and intake air temps are

It doesnt matter what car or what tune you have this should be done with ANY car tuned and any good tuner will tell you this

As for the datalogging I take over your laptop and set up this datalog list for you , show you how to use it and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you this is very helpful as I know most dont have a clue about tuning or datalogging

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #54
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
What a tune adjust , there is over 100 things changed in most any tune the biggest things is the timing , fuel , idle , rev and or speed limiter , fan temp settings , Alternator settings and much much more , I could go into what changed like closed and open loop fueling and so on but most wouldnt understand it

What dataloging logs and why , when I datalog I want to see what the air fuel ration is as this is the most important this to keep the engine safe under wide open throttle , the 2012 has this built in and can be seen when datalogging this is why datalogging is SO important ,

next thing I want to watch is the knock sensor if there is to much timing then the knock sensor will show this and will show how much timing thats causing knock to keep the engine safe another reason its very important to datalog so your tune can be made a custom tune to your engine

You datalog the load , maf voltage , engine nd intake temps because a lot of the calculations come from what the engine and intake air temps are

It doesnt matter what car or what tune you have this should be done with ANY car tuned and any good tuner will tell you this

As for the datalogging I take over your laptop and set up this datalog list for you , show you how to use it and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you this is very helpful as I know most dont have a clue about tuning or datalogging

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom that was very informative. You mentioned you look at the air/fuel ratio under wide open throttle. Do you always take WOT to be the most limiting point, even if the car is never driven so, as a safety precaution? Tuning to engine/air intake temps could vary depending on where you drive (I guess altitude would play a factor as well). Say we were to do datalogging when I got the tuner, but then I go on a 6 month trip up into the mountains, how are you able to account for this, or would this be a case of interaction between us and something you would go ahead and change?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #55
Ladder812
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113977
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Ladder812 Good Standing Member
So for data logging pretty much your doing the work right? Just seeing our driving habits and adjusting the tune based off the way we drive?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #56
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Tom, how many tunes does the tuner hold? (In reference to what I mentioned below)

Quote:
Thanks for the info Tom that was very informative. You mentioned you look at the air/fuel ratio under wide open throttle. Do you always take WOT to be the most limiting point, even if the car is never driven so, as a safety precaution? Tuning to engine/air intake temps could vary depending on where you drive (I guess altitude would play a factor as well). Say we were to do datalogging when I got the tuner, but then I go on a 6 month trip up into the mountains, how are you able to account for this, or would this be a case of interaction between us and something you would go ahead and change?
Are you saying spending 6 months up in the mountains? You could always datalog and then ask Tom to make a tune while your up there. Remember, he has stated "Unlimited Tunes". So if you spend half your time near sea level down in FL and spend the other half in Breckenridge, CO (9600ft ASL) you could have a tune for both.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #57
Gi_Jo_Nathan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98931
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5Door MTX

FF Reputation: 3 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
Tom, how many tunes does the tuner hold? (In reference to what I mentioned below)
I believe it's 10.
12 SE HB MTX, IE Tuned, Snorkel DLT, Green Filter(Gray), custom 2.5" cat-back w/borla, Steeda RSB & Short Shift Bracket, JBR Solid Shifter Bushing's, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts, Ti Heads, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, De-chromed
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #58
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
WOT=Wide Open Throttle is where you have the highest risk of damaging an engine so where the air fuel and timing is most important
WOT gets its fuel from the open loop tables
Idle and cruise gets its fuel from the closed loop tables

Altitude does play a role in tuning the ECU can adjust for altitude and for out side temperatures automatically or if very high altitude I can get you another tune to help as you get free tune updates for mods , octane , anything you need

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #59
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder812 View Post
So for data logging pretty much your doing the work right? Just seeing our driving habits and adjusting the tune based off the way we drive?
I would adjust the tune for many things , any issues you dont like about the base tune , mods or future added mods , driving style , octane , anything I see to improve the tune or engine safety

You the customer would have to do some of the work. After I set up the datalog , show you how to use it you would then do me something like a 5 min idle , 5 min cruise , WOT 3rd gear 2000 to 5000 then a 3 min idle and email it to me , I would then make changes and email back the tune and we go from there as needed and do the datalog again when you add more mods

Very easy to do

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #60
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post

Are you saying spending 6 months up in the mountains? You could always datalog and then ask Tom to make a tune while your up there. Remember, he has stated "Unlimited Tunes". So if you spend half your time near sea level down in FL and spend the other half in Breckenridge, CO (9600ft ASL) you could have a tune for both.
Last I saw the xcal holds 10-11 tunes but you would never need that many and yes if you needed tunes for those reasons anything is covered under the free NA tune updates , even mods like head package , cams , higher compression etc I dont know of any other tuner that covers ALL NA mods / reasons and free updates , I do

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->