Snorkel Delete - Page 40 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #391
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I finally got around to pulling out the intake resonator. Sounds good right around 2600RPM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #392
mikesusz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
@havoc287 was the LOUD with the plug in or out?

i've seen other setups where the open end of the cone is plumbed with a flexible tube to where it would be sucking in cold air from the front.

Last edited by mikesusz; 09-27-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #393
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc287 View Post
I must say, my car is LOUD. It sounds like a damn race car when I'm charging up the street. Huge difference from stock set up. I highly recommend the E-9289 filter for anyone wanting something a little louder. Seriously the difference is night and day.
You think that's loud? I agree that it's a big difference from stock, but the E-9289 is nowhere near as loud as a CAI such as K&N Typhoon, Steeda, FSWerks, etc. The E-9289 without the plug is still very civil compared to those, only really showing its presence at large throttle openings. With the plug in, it's as quiet as a stock filter.

I do have my resonator (silencer) still installed, so maybe that is making a difference...
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #394
havoc287
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119196
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 havoc287 Good Standing Member
The louder sound is with the plug removed. With the plug in, there's just the audible difference of not having the snorkel. I haven't gotten around to removing the resonator box.

For a 10-15 min mod, I'm totally fine with it not being as loud as some of the other options out there, I was just mentioning it for anyone who wants something quick and noticeable especially considering the filter is just an extra $15.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #395
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
So actually got to have some road time in with the resonator out. Throttle response feels like normal, just a lot louder when around 2600RPM. This is with a stock filter and the top of the stock air box on. Makes you want to zip around more and keep RPMs up.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #396
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Snorkel Delete/Air Filter question

I recently did the snorkel delete on my 2012 hatch and used the K&N drop in filter, specifically the closed end filter. Has anyone used the closed end filter then switched to the open end filter and is there any performance difference when used with the snorkel delete?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #397
Von551
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115392
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Von551 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehatch14 View Post
I recently did the snorkel delete on my 2012 hatch and used the K&N drop in filter, specifically the closed end filter. Has anyone used the closed end filter then switched to the open end filter and is there any performance difference when used with the snorkel delete?
your set up is the best. the closed end is said to make better power by others on here. i think the filter alone would've made a huge difference. you can also cut the flaps if you want more air, i did.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #398
havoc287
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119196
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 havoc287 Good Standing Member
I have the open ended w/ plug and I get very different results depending if it is plugged. Open ended gives me a more jerky response from the throttle as rpms get around 2.5-3k, and the deep sound is nice. Closed gives me a smoother acceleration, and I feel like this is better for fuel mileage, cause my city mpg goes down a bit open ended. Haven't had enough time to test mpgs with the plug closed yet. Def worth $15 extra though, best of both worlds. Plugging the filter takes a whole 30 seconds, no tools.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #399
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post
your set up is the best. the closed end is said to make better power by others on here. i think the filter alone would've made a huge difference. you can also cut the flaps if you want more air, i did.
The filter alone is a great filter on its own but I didn't notice a performance difference till I did the snorkel delete. And you know you know there is no need to cut the flaps right? you can remove that whole piece without cutting anything. There are two clips holding it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc287 View Post
I have the open ended w/ plug and I get very different results depending if it is plugged. Open ended gives me a more jerky response from the throttle as rpms get around 2.5-3k, and the deep sound is nice. Closed gives me a smoother acceleration, and I feel like this is better for fuel mileage, cause my city mpg goes down a bit open ended. Haven't had enough time to test mpgs with the plug closed yet. Def worth $15 extra though, best of both worlds. Plugging the filter takes a whole 30 seconds, no tools.
I figured that the open ended filter would produce better sound. I like the smoother acceleration really. I do a lot of city driving so I would like to keep my mpg the way it is.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #400
Roadworthy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109039
What I Drive: 2012 SGM MK3 Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Roadworthy Good Standing Member
When I had the snorkel delete and the K&N drop in, I just used a license plate to push down the flap and direct air to the inlet. Very smooth, could stay in gear (6th) on the highway when accelerating mildly. My MPG did go back up a little when I put the snorkel back on but could have been other factors.

Bookmarks & Social Networks