Looking at an 05 zx4 ST. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
twiggss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107242
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 Black

FF Reputation: 1 twiggss Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking at an 05 zx4 ST.

Might have found an ST. 1 owner 90k only service I've been able to dig up so far was the clutch master cyl was changed around 50k.

Just wondering what else I should be looking at? This would be my first Focus so I'm not sure what issues or problem areas these cars have.

Don't care about modding now just looking for a first time buyers guide. mechanical, electrical, rust....etc

thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
twiggss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107242
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 Black

FF Reputation: 1 twiggss Good Standing Member
Not even a "search n00b!"? (which I ended up doing anyways)

and then woke up to it being sold today.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Bob G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94741
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 Bob G Good Standing Member
Sorry you missed it. When I bought mine there were a number of '05-'07 ST's in the Chicago area if that helps. Good luck on the hunt.

Bob
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are no real major problems. The clutch master cylinder is an issue, but not every time. My MC has nearly 160k on it- no leaks. The throwout bearing will rattle between the pressure plate and slave cylinder. It just makes a slight rattling noise until you push the clutch pedal down. That freaks some people out really bad. It's because it's a plastic part glued to a metal part. You can change out the slave cylinder ($$$$) but there's no guarantee that the part that is installed will not eventually separate. The noise and action doesn't harm anything. Mine has been doing it since about 30k miles.

On this particular engine some parts that you're used to servicing easily on other vehicles are very difficult to access- the thermostat and PCV valve. The PCV is nestled under the intake manifold on the engine block, and is very difficult to get at without removing the intake. The thermostat is the same- and carries a high price at nearly $200. Fortunately, it's a very good design. I haven't had a problem with mine yet.

The alternators are a problem that are not a problem for some people. Mine went out at around 120k. A "lifetime" replacement from the parts store typically lasts our users about a year. I recommend a local rebuilder. I had mine rebuilt for $80. The "lifetime" part runs $160-180. A new part is around $250 from Motorcraft. The removal process is not a simple one, so make your choice carefully.

Good luck finding another one, or whatever you want!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
my brother picked up a 06 last year, I'm actually impressed its been especially solid for 100k+ miles. To behonest I like the focus because they are know to be pretty damn reliable.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->