Looking for best gear oil for 6 speed getrag - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35376
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, infrared, '72 Bonny 650

FF Reputation: 3 limeyrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basit_105 View Post
Mercon V is for auto transmissions.
Mercon V is a multi-application formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #42
anarchyamp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70907
What I Drive: 2002 pitch black focus SVT turbo

FF Reputation: 1 anarchyamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
DO NOT use the royal purple synchromax, it is too thin. Everyone went over this years ago and I knew it was too thin so I never used it. use any kind of 75-90 weight oil (royal purple does make 75w-90 gear oil. Here it is http://www.saferacer.com/royal-purpl...FQt1QgodS1oARA

svt tranny takes 2.1, I just put 2 bottles and figured it would be fine. Didn't wanna buy another bottle just for that .1
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Here's the catch.

The BRAND of oil does not matter one iota! The SPECIFICATION DOES....
There are a few fellow forum members that are looking for 'rebuild kits' just for the synchro rings because they used the wrong oil. DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT IS LABELED "Meets GL-5 requirements" - If you are using multi-application oils USE GL-4. In any case the FACTORY SPEC. FROM GETRAG (not your local yokel parts counter) is any oil that meets fully synthetic Mercon V specs.

(...remember, Ford did not build them, Ford bought these from Getrag - a German transmission factory) They are engineered to run in extreme weather conditions from northern Scandinavia to southern Italy. They need a fluid that is compatible with the synchronizers.

Two good examples of fully synthetic oil you can use in the SVT tranny are here and here. These are by no means the only ones out there but they are premium quality and most importantly, correct.

Just an FYI, I used to live in Germany and if you were to buy a car there with the Getrag 6 spd. it would have the oil in the second link above.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #44
2003SBSVTF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118982
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic BLue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 2003SBSVTF Good Standing Member
Just put the hps 10w40 royal purple. That's what royal purple recommends for our transmissions and it shifts beautifully. I've changed the oil 4 times in last month from rp syncromax, to full syn motor oil 10w30, to mobil1 75w90 full syn gear oil, and now finally rp hps 10w40. I can honestly say that the hps10w40 shifts the best.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003SBSVTF View Post
Just put the hps 10w40 royal purple. That's what royal purple recommends for our transmissions and it shifts beautifully. I've changed the oil 4 times in last month from rp syncromax, to full syn motor oil 10w30, to mobil1 75w90 full syn gear oil, and now finally rp hps 10w40. I can honestly say that the hps10w40 shifts the best.
When I wrote to them I got three different answers from three different people there - Maxgear oil, syncromax and Max ATF (meets Mercon V spec) They never told me 10W-40 motor oil.

The problem with that is Royal Purple does not make transmissions. They also do not acknowledge that motor oil will ruin syncro rings. Ask if they recommend gear oil for engines, better yet ask the handful of forum members who need new transmissions what kind of motor oil they used.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #46
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
You are correct in using GL-5 fluid in the getrag is not good. I've learned this when I did the clutch in my Mother in laws Mini Cooper S. The only fluid on the market that meets the GL-4 is the Redline brand fluid which is what all the Cooper S guys run in theirs.

I have since changed my fluid to the Ford Full Synthetic since that's what it calls for by Ford anyways and it works great.

Oh and the Getrag takes only 1.8 qts from what I remember as it was the same on the Cooper S, though on the later model years the Cooper S's getrag takes even less fluid at only 1.5 qts.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks