Brake Trouble! Help! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
KRSNOLA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119029
What I Drive: 2004 White ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 KRSNOLA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake Trouble! Help!

I keep having repeat problems with my car's brakes. There always seems to be something wrong with the brakes. I bring my car to my mechanic to look at the brakes, they make a few "adjustments" (not sure what exactly), don't charge me anything, the brake's seem to work fine for a while then the parking brake light starts to randomly come on and off more and more frequently the more I use the car. Eventually, it's on for miles at a time and also causes the "tripometer" to reset back to zero miles randomly.

- Plus, the ABS doesn't seem to be working properly and my right rear brakes will lock up if I try to stop on loose gravel or sometimes if the road is wet.

- Plus there's ALWAYS a combination of screeching and/or grinding noises coming from my brakes.

- Plus, I'm pretty sure I have a warped rotor now somewhere.

Really tired of always having brake problems. Any help/advice???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,768, Level 76
Points: 13,768, Level: 76 Points: 13,768, Level: 76 Points: 13,768, Level: 76
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
If you have a dolt for a repair person.. time to shop for a new mechanic.
You best go to a Ford dealer.. Even if it cost money.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
You need to find someone who knows its not warped. If you want to read on the possibilities see http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...rpedx2019.aspx
The article may help you ask the right questions to your current mechanic.
Problems with the ABS need to be diagnosed with a specialized scanner that a dealer will have. A Brake Shop should have an appropriate scanner too.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Calipers can seize after awhile and hold the pads against the rotor even when your foot is off the brake pedal. That would explain constant grinding noises. Brakes should not squeal unless they're down to the audible wear bars...that being the whole point, to alert you that the pads are low.

If a rotor is warped you will usually feel a vibration in the pedal when you're braking that goes away when you let off. Cheap rotors have a tendency to warp quickly.

Check the brake fluid level. If it's low, it can cause the light to come on. Also, your parking brake cables might be sticking on.

Don't give up! Brake problems should be relatively easy for a competent mechanic to fix. Sounds like your current place is not very good.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
KRSNOLA
Focus Rookie

I went back to my mechanic and told him I am still having problems with the brakes. He replaced all the brakes and rotors, all the way around, at his cost. He said if that doesn't fix the problem then he doesn't know what else to do. It worked... for a little while. The parking brake light went off (he said it was bc the brake fluid was low). The rear right wheel is starting to make the grinding and screeching noises again. I really think thats where the problem is. I've had to have the bearings changed there, and the rotor changed and it always makes a lot of terrible noises. Tired of throwing money at it.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Rear Disc? Drum?
The Tone Ring on the right rear and bearing need to be re-checked. Incorrect torque (over or under) on the spindle nut could lead to issues there.
Normally you shouldn't have any brake fluid loss. A brake job can be done without lossing fluid.
Was the bearing changed after these problems began or after? Was the hub/bearing replaced as a unit or were new bearings pressed into the old hub?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
KRSNOLA
Focus Rookie

Drum. Not sure about "Tone Ring", need to look that up and see what it is to get a better idea of what you mean. Problems began after bearing was changed, I think. I've been dealing with this for so long that I don't quite remember exactly. Thanks for reply.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
KRSNOLA
Focus Rookie

Also, not sure if hub/bearing were replaced as unit or if new bearing was pressed onto old hub.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

The Ton Ring is a coponent used in the ABS system. It works with the wheel speed sensor and is the actual item the speed sensor picks up the wheels RPM is determined.
It mounts on the hub between the hub and spindle.
(You can find a diagram on www.FordParts.com)
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Was the wheel cylinder on the right rear changed? They sometimes leak at the boot.

The screeching makes me think your bearing is crap, despite being new. Pull the drum off and spin the wheel forward and backward. If you hear grinding, it's your bearing. PS your mechanic should know this!

Your car doesn't "burn" brake fluid--if it's low, it's leaked out somewhere, either during the repair process (which you'd expect the mechanic to notice and replace) or after (when you've just had all the brakes serviced? That's not good!). Either way, your mechanic is missing something he shouldn't.

Best advice is to find a new shop.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.