03 SVT down on power... sometimes. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Sully313
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104895
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5 Red, 06 ZX3 SES Black

FF Reputation: 1 Sully313 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
03 SVT down on power... sometimes.

This is the second time in 2 weeks it happened. It feels like its only running at 60% power.

The first time it happened I left for work in the AM and it just felt really slow. This was the day after an autocross where i hit the rev limiter about 8 times per run so I thought I hurt something. I went to lunch the same day and it was fine and has been ever since.

This morning it did it again.

First thing that came to mind was a clogged cat but I don't believe a clogged cat would cause a intermittent loss of power.

Everything tune up related from coil to plugs and fuel to air filter has been in the last 6k miles or so.

So.. has anyone else expereince this with their SVTF? I'm currently in Kansas City for work so I don't have any tool besides a basic tool kit, jack and jack stands so its difficult to do any diagnostic work. So, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You say this only happens in the AM when the car is cold.... Do you warm it up before you start driving? The SVT does not like the cold, runs like crap and has high revs when its not warmed up long enough. I would suggest letting it warm up for like 8-10 min before you start driving and see if that helps. I try to let mine warm up for at least 5 min but when it starts to get colder outside il let it warm up for 10 min, otherwise she runs like crap for a couple miles. If you have the cold weather package and its super cold out you can plug in your engine block heater to help warm it up faster. So like I said, try to warm it up good before you start driving and see if it helps.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118295
What I Drive: 2003 Black zx3 svt

FF Reputation: 1 stmiller123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2003 svt and mine gets to be very sluggish, bought new plugs wires and coil. But other times it will put you back in your seat. Im glad someone else has this problem lol
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Sully313
Focus Addict

I recently moved into an apartment now and its too loud to let it warm up without pissing off neighbors. It was 60ish this morning. My garage is usually about 75-80. Next time i'll try shutting it off and restarting next time it does it. It may just be the nature of the beast.

My car never really threw me back in the seat. :)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118295
What I Drive: 2003 Black zx3 svt

FF Reputation: 1 stmiller123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
lol well i guess i should say throw me out of my seat haha.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully313 View Post
I recently moved into an apartment now and its too loud to let it warm up without pissing off neighbors. It was 60ish this morning. My garage is usually about 75-80. Next time i'll try shutting it off and restarting next time it does it. It may just be the nature of the beast.

My car never really threw me back in the seat. :)
That sux, im almost sure its prob just cuz ur car is cold. When you start driving with it cold just go real easy on it until it warms up to normal temp. Do you have cold weather package? Try using the block heater if u do, that might help and it wont make any noise.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This sounds remarkably similar to the issues I was experiencing when my cam positioning sensor went bad. >Here< is the thread I made about it if you're interested.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

^^^Wouldnt that throw the CEL? Is your CEL illuminated? Good guess on the cam pos sen. Will deff cause the slugishness and lack of power but wouldent it be all the time and not just when the car is cold?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav-O-SVT View Post
^^^Wouldnt that throw the CEL? Is your CEL illuminated? Good guess on the cam pos sen. Will deff cause the slugishness and lack of power but wouldent it be all the time and not just when the car is cold?
Mine only threw a CEL after about 2-3 weeks of having those issues intermittently. It also only had those issues when the car was cold. If I got it up to operating temp without having a problem it would run perfect until the engine got cold again. Sometimes it happened 3-4 times in a row and then didn't happen the next 5 or 6.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Sully313
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
This sounds remarkably similar to the issues I was experiencing when my cam positioning sensor went bad. >Here< is the thread I made about it if you're interested.
Yeah, the symptoms all sound similar. Down to the ones that I just associated to an SVT and never though it was in issue. Especially lacking low end power when it does run right and a bit of a rough idle on start up. I haven't had a check engine light for p1383..... yet.

I may replace it anyway since its cheap.

Bookmarks & Social Networks