Luxury vs MPG - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No trouble at all. Since you seem to be an enthusiast, I thought you might want that info.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Don't think I would call the Focus a family car unless your kids are small (pre-teen) because of the lack of rear legroom. Anytime I have an adult sit in the back, I have to move my seat up. For me. the lack of rear legroom doesn't matter only because I am single.

Might want to look at the Fusion or the new Mazda 6. The Mazda 6 is supposed to get close to what the Focus gets with a bigger engine. You can get stripper ones for dirt cheap. I was looking at a base one with a manual and it was under 22k.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The new Fusion does come with a 6 speed manual and turbo....
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119212
What I Drive: 2005 Acura TL

FF Reputation: 1 RavynX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
Don't think I would call the Focus a family car unless your kids are small (pre-teen) because of the lack of rear legroom. Anytime I have an adult sit in the back, I have to move my seat up. For me. the lack of rear legroom doesn't matter only because I am single.

Might want to look at the Fusion or the new Mazda 6. The Mazda 6 is supposed to get close to what the Focus gets with a bigger engine. You can get stripper ones for dirt cheap. I was looking at a base one with a manual and it was under 22k.
The kids are 6 and 7 years old. Both my girlfriend and are are fairly short; my pants inseam is about 29" so the seats don't sit far back at all. I'm gonna try to go sit in one today or sometime this weekend to check it out.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynX View Post
The kids are 6 and 7 years old. Both my girlfriend and are are fairly short; my pants inseam is about 29" so the seats don't sit far back at all. I'm gonna try to go sit in one today or sometime this weekend to check it out.
They should be fine at that age. I'm 5'9" w/31" inseam and can comfortably sit behind the driver's seat as its set to my normal driving position.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Is rear legroom in the new Focus really that bad? I'm 6" and I regularly carry adults in the back seat of my mk2 sedan and I've never had a complaint about legroom.

I tested a Fiesta and the rear legroom was a joke, but I thought it seemed okay when I tested a Focus? Maybe I don't sit as far back as most people my height?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
fyrblckdragon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114727
What I Drive: 1999 ZX2 S/R 019/110

FF Reputation: 1 fyrblckdragon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Is rear legroom in the new Focus really that bad? I'm 6" and I regularly carry adults in the back seat of my mk2 sedan and I've never had a complaint about legroom.

I tested a Fiesta and the rear legroom was a joke, but I thought it seemed okay when I tested a Focus? Maybe I don't sit as far back as most people my height?
Yes. IMO, our years feel much bigger inside, and the visibility is better. To me, coming from an 09, the new chassis is claustrophobic inside.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
RedDogAB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107829
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, ZX5 SES - modified

FF Reputation: 1 RedDogAB Good Standing Member
At 6'2" I have no trouble in the back seat of my Focus. I find my step dad's Fusion no roomier and in fact a disaster for me to get into or out of, be it the front seat or back.

The issue with so many new cars is the sweeping windshield to mid roof lines. I cannot get my damned head inside cars, be it the Fusion or the Civic or a multitude of other cars. My neck, head and spine does not bend and contort that way to gain entry. We are not all 12 year olds. I once crawled into the Fusion on my hands and knees looking for a solution. Once in and seated I can't reach the door pull because my head hits the inside door frame. It's ridiculous.

I can whip into my Focus in a flash just as I can get out without gymnastics. I may have to keep it because it might be the last car I can get into smoothly.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
RetAFEng
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117690
What I Drive: 2013 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RetAFEng Good Standing Member
The Focus has several suspension setups. the standard, the sport package and the Titanium handling package. Each one is progressively better for sporty driving. The Ti handling package provides better suspension and 18" wheels with wider tires. I refer to my Focus as a Mini Lincoln as it is fully optioned. The only problem I have with my focus is leaving it parked, it is so nice to drive, and room for the wife and myself with mother out law in the back and her walker in the hatch. So lots of room for your family and all the luxury that you may want in an economical vehicle.
Mini Lincoln
2010 Ford Ranger Sport Ext Cab 4.0 V6
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119212
What I Drive: 2005 Acura TL

FF Reputation: 1 RavynX Good Standing Member
I FINALLY got to drive a Focus SE, manual yesterday. I liked it but it was such a different feeling compared to the Acura TL or the Ford Fiesta. I need more seat time in the car before I choose between the Focus or the Fiesta. I test drove a 2013 Fiesta SE right after the Focus and it felt 'at home' so to speak because we used to own a Fiesta; I knew what to expect from the car and how it drove.

They are having a hard time getting rid of a dozen or so 2013 Focus models to bring in 2014 models so they are offering 3500-4000 in discounts. The Focus I'm looking at is around $19,900. It's a 2013 White Focus SE with MyFordTouch w/ Sony & Navigation, leather seats, leather steering wheel, rear disc brakes, black package (black wheels & rear spoiler), dual climate controls, and a few other doodads. It's priced at $19,9xx + TTL. I'm trying to figure out if this is a good deal or not. I really would like the in-pocket key with push-start, a sunroof, and the auto up/down windows but I would have to get the Titanium model for that. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the leather seats, I felt like I was sitting on a bench; maybe because they're new and need to be broken in? I wish they were perforated.

Window Sticker: http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...DP3K26DL372515

Photos: http://jordanford.net/San-Antonio-TX...-Car/19457407/

I also test drove a 2013 Fiesta SE which was pretty basic and wasn't as loaded as the 2011 Fiesta SES that we used to own that had the in-pocket key with push-start but no sunroof. The car drove great but I feel like it's lacking in tech to make me happy. I can't quite tell if I felt more comfortable in the car because I used to drive one or if I just need more seat time in the Focus.

Just to confuse things even more, I found this new 2013 Focus Titanium for $19,970 in Houston just 2.5 hours East of where I live : http://autonationfordkaty.com/Katy/F...-Car/19653812/

It's missing the navigation, can that be added in later with a module or does it need a complete MyFordTouch unit swap?

Bookmarks & Social Networks