04 ZX3 shifter pivot cup- cant find anywhere - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
RyanMartin94
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118950
What I Drive: 2004 zx3 2.0L DOHC manual

FF Reputation: 1 RyanMartin94 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
04 ZX3 shifter pivot cup- cant find anywhere

Hello,

I'm trying to fix my son's 04 ZX3 2.0L DOHC with a manual transaxle. He reported that he could not get the shifter to move into certain positions. I took the shifter boot and what-not off and found a broken plastic piece at the bottom of the shift selector itself. This piece is a round(ish), plastic 'cup' or bushing that the ball on the base of the shift selector sits in. It fits right into the base. I'm assuming the broken pieces where preventing the shifter from reaching certain positions because I'm able to manipulate the cables into all gears by hand with no trouble.

Problem is I can't find that little plastic piece anywhere. The dealership wants to sell the whole tower and says they don't sell that piece alone. Does anyone know if there's any source for this part? Do I really have to hunt this down at a junkyard? I can't be the first to experience this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
maxwell_bud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117818
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

Points 330, Level 6
Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6 Points: 330, Level: 6
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 maxwell_bud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yes you will either need to find this at a junkyard or buy the whole shifter assembly brand new from Ford. I had some broken bushings in mine when I bought it and tried to find that part but Ford told me they only sell that whole assembly. So I bought it for around $110 and it was well worth the money just because for me it had about 90k miles when I bought it so putting the new one in made is so much smoother and easier (and fun) to shift. Check your bushings and all the others parts of the assembly to see how they are worn, if they look ok then I'd try to find the cup at a junkyard or just go ahead and get the new assembly.

Last edited by maxwell_bud; 09-16-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,360, Level 75
Points: 13,360, Level: 75 Points: 13,360, Level: 75 Points: 13,360, Level: 75
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
buying just the "cup" is going to be near impossible, the entire shifter tower is gonna be the easiest quickest way to get it done.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Points 4,012, Level 40
Points: 4,012, Level: 40 Points: 4,012, Level: 40 Points: 4,012, Level: 40
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
When I bought the shifter cup a few years ago the part number was 87ZZ-7335-AA. Sold for about nine dollars. Call Steve at tousley ford/autonation he can find anything. That's where picked mine up.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
RyanMartin94
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118950
What I Drive: 2004 zx3 2.0L DOHC manual

FF Reputation: 1 RyanMartin94 Good Standing Member
Thanks!

Thanks for your very helpful replies. I went ahead and bought the new shift assembly, as finding that cup by itself was indeed next-to-impossible. I was able to get the assembly, with a brushed aluminum shift knob for about $120 at my local dealership. I didn't see the reply with the part number until after the purchase, but hopefully that part number will help the next person with the problem. Thanks again for the help- it's great to know there are people willing to help other people just because they can. Ill see if I can pay it forward.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
LAslpr23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110352
What I Drive: 2002 Forest Green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LAslpr23 Good Standing Member
sorry for the late response on this issue as I have been out of the country for a year. I still own my ZX3 and have had the same issue.. Just to let you know, the person driving the car should buy an extra shifter assembly, I know they run for $100-$140 depends on the dealer selling, but I personally have been through 4 different shift tower assemblies, and because ford continues to make the shift tower assemblies in PLASTIC they will continue to falter.. I have looked around for either aluminum or metal based shift tower assemblies and found that FORD makes them for the SVT model, however if you do decide to get an SVT shifter assembly you will need to make minor changes on the tower assembly to fit to an MTX75 trans found in most Manual ZX3 models.. I don't know if this will help just giving my opinion..

Bookmarks & Social Networks