New track brake pads installed and ready to test out. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
New track brake pads installed and ready to test out.

My ST has seen 4 track days in the past year and 25,000 road miles. The stock pads sucked on the track and now they are completely shot I got a set of Carbotech XP8 for the front and hawk HP Plus for the back, I had the HP+ already that why Iím using them. This weekend I am taking the track to see how the XP8ís hold up for occasional track use, so far they have performed well on the street. They are like any good race pas they are dusty and squeak but they provide a lot more stopping power. But Saturday will be the true test to see how they hold up the stopping that 3200 pound pig from 130mph to 50 for several laps.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Awesome that aftermarket pads are starting to be made. I was at a track day a few months ago and a ST owner was complaining about the lack of tracks pads available at the time. Should be fun.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Wetsuitxninja
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108095
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Wetsuitxninja Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking forward to hearing how they hold up!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Schroeder02

I’m back form the track. The Xp8’s in the front where better but still some issues, the xp8’s didn’t have the bite that I was looking for once they got hot however they dint seem to fade. But the big issue was brake fluid I’m pretty sure I boiled the fluid the brakes got spongy at the day progressed, I bled the front brakes the next morning however in the 3 session of the day they completely went away. It is possible I could have air in the system but more than likely I put too much heat in the brakes and boiled the fluid. Also I run Castrol SRF fluid so the quality of the fluid is not an issue. So I’m thinking the next step would be to go to a XP12 or higher and hopefully be able to shorten the brake distance and hopefully allow the brakes to cool, or a big brake kit.

I do however think if I were going to track the car on a more regular basses and upgrade supination and power bigger brakes and cooling ducts will be a must. The ST is just too heavy to run hard.

I’ll post some go pro video latter on.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post
...or a big brake kit.
It's probably the only option for any serious track use.

Consider the stock brakes and the weight of the ST and ask yourself "Why wouldn't these brakes fade on the track?"
Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
I'd add a BBK for sure on a DD, it goes w/ suspension mods. As you know, brakes allow you to go so much faster & further.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Schroeder02

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Schroeder02

Well I’m not 100% convinced that big brakes are definite must, a more aggressive pad will reduce the braking distance less braking distance can reduce the amount of heat generated in the brakes.

I have never had a need to larger brakes on my svt granted it 500 to 600lbs lighter but it much quicker around the track and I have always used the stock brake set up just race pads.

I was able to figure I was getting temps of 950 in the caliper itself, the epoxy paint that I used on the calipers is good to 950 and it now blistering. So I was definitely putting some serious heat into them. If I take the car to the track again next year I’ll probably try a set of XP16’s and new rotors and see how they hold up.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
I don't know if you guys read the Motor Trend article, but it sounds like the car needs more than just bigger brakes. It needs Ford to put a real locking diff. in or at least offer it as an option and be able to disable the ECU from appling the brakes to control traction. Randy Pobst completly destroyed the brakes on the car in three laps. Also somebody posted in the comments section and said he ran at Fontana and had to use Nomex gloves to check tire pressures after a 20 min. session. I know there are alot of people that will never drive the car to these limits but the brakes should be at least better than what comes stock.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Schroeder02

Yes the diff is also adding to the problem I know one spot on the track I that it was active and it just happens to be right after the hardest braking point.

I’m not surprised Pobst’s destroyed them I had the same experience with the stock pads and I’m no Randy Pobst.

Bookmarks & Social Networks