Sanding/painting door panels? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
orland
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102544
Location: Denton, TX
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 orland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sanding/painting door panels?

Hey guys, my driver and passenger side door panels are getting to look like this; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/5pbh.jpg/

I'm wondering what grits I am going to need to start sanding them down to a very smooth surface, and then start painting them.

Also, if this seems like a stupid idea let me know.


orland is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Smokey1r
Focus Enthusiast
 
Smokey1r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113556
Location: Macomb, IL
What I Drive: 2011 Flame Metalic Blue SES

Posts: 155
Points 216, Level 4
Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Smokey1r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's UV damage to the plastic, you could sand it and try to make it look decent with paint but in all honesty it will look like a pitted mess.

Its best to go get another one in the junkyard that is in good shape and use it instead and try some sort of UV treatment on it to try and preserve it.
Smokey1r is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
orland
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102544
Location: Denton, TX
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 orland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
That's UV damage to the plastic, you could sand it and try to make it look decent with paint but in all honesty it will look like a pitted mess.

Its best to go get another one in the junkyard that is in good shape and use it instead and try some sort of UV treatment on it to try and preserve it.
Alright, cool. I guess I'll get another door, but before that it'll make for a fun project to sand one of them down haha. Thanks dude!

If anyone has any tips on sanding something like this, I'd appreciate it!
Like info on grits/steps on painting/etc.
orland is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
fawzie13R
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Fan#: 71759
Location: watertown, NY
What I Drive: '09 LT Blue Focus SEL Sedan

Posts: 279
FF Reputation: 1 fawzie13R Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well for sanding if it was me I would strip everything off the door panel and start sanding with prolly a some what coarse sand paper prolly a 100 grit and once it was down to where there wasn't any pits id start using either 1000 grit or 1100 grit, that would give you a pretty smooth surface(I used 1100grit on my wifes explorer prior to priming)then shoot it with primer then you might want to try wet sanding it with fresh 1100grit sand paper depending on how many coats of primer you put on them. then finish with paint and if you want it to look fancy you could spray it down with a final coat of clear.
fawzie13R is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
orland
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102544
Location: Denton, TX
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 orland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawzie13R View Post
well for sanding if it was me I would strip everything off the door panel and start sanding with prolly a some what coarse sand paper prolly a 100 grit and once it was down to where there wasn't any pits id start using either 1000 grit or 1100 grit, that would give you a pretty smooth surface(I used 1100grit on my wifes explorer prior to priming)then shoot it with primer then you might want to try wet sanding it with fresh 1100grit sand paper depending on how many coats of primer you put on them. then finish with paint and if you want it to look fancy you could spray it down with a final coat of clear.
Awesome information, thanks!
Definitely want it to look nice.

I'm going to have to do all four doors, and every part of the car with that texture. Hope I'm not getting in too far over my head. I'll try with one and see how it pans out. (crappy pun intended )
orland is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
2010SVT
Focus Addict
 
2010SVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93835
Location: Denham Springs, LA
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

Posts: 889
Points 2,412, Level 29
Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29 Points: 2,412, Level: 29
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn, that sucks. Good thing I have 5% window tint all the way around. Honestly though if it happened to mine I would do exactly what you have proposed. Sand it down nice and smooth, I mean smooth. And then shoot it in what ever color you can dream of. If you wanna stick with a factory look just spray it in a good color choice. I dont know about anyone else here but the chances of finding one of our cars in a junkyard isnt an easy find.
__________________
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
2010SVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
orland
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102544
Location: Denton, TX
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus SE

Posts: 40
FF Reputation: 1 orland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
Damn, that sucks. Good thing I have 5% window tint all the way around. Honestly though if it happened to mine I would do exactly what you have proposed. Sand it down nice and smooth, I mean smooth. And then shoot it in what ever color you can dream of. If you wanna stick with a factory look just spray it in a good color choice. I dont know about anyone else here but the chances of finding one of our cars in a junkyard isnt an easy find.
So if it looks like garbage I'm effed,, haha.

Yea, I won't do anything wild with the colors!

Just an update for you guys; I haven't done anything yet with my doors.
My car is about to hit 100k so all my funds and time are going into research the how-to's and parts! When I do decide to do this, I want to take some pictures and maybe make a how-to for you guys. (If it goes well, of course)
orland is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat