A bit of help needed with my Focus race car - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 7,964, Level 60
Points: 7,964, Level: 60 Points: 7,964, Level: 60 Points: 7,964, Level: 60
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you are not going to get 4* of camber out of a stock suspension unless you physically manipulate the tower sheet metal. You can usually get 2-2.5* from camber plates and could get another 2 from aftermarket control arms. but since you say you have to stay stock then those are not options. the camber is fixed on the Focus. only way to change it is by lowering the car, or with aftermarket parts.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
02ztsian
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14466
What I Drive: V6Mistake, 03 ZX3

Points 2,966, Level 33
Points: 2,966, Level: 33 Points: 2,966, Level: 33 Points: 2,966, Level: 33
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 02ztsian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I would think the best and easiest to remove the inertia switch, run wiring to the right rear and install a cut off switch.
I would probably be inclined to re-locate the inertia switch to somewhere near the shifter for easy access then splice in for the cut off switch. Then you have added protection in case of a roll over. If you find the inertia switch getting triggered frequently then look at removing it.
Same applies to stupid.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would get rid of the inertia switch even if I were running a no-contact class. But it does make sense to use the wiring for your fuel pump cutoff since it's there.

Remember that "stock" has different meanings. The Neon guys run Mopar performance stuff and claim it's stock...and aftermarket isn't banned as long as it's a stock replacement. So you could legitimately argue that your control arms/tie rods are stock even if they're longer...even better, if you can find ones stamped Ford, say off a different model, then who's to say otherwise? If you put in coil-overs, that's an obvious cheat, but I haven't met a tech inspector yet who has measured control arms, let alone knew what the spec was for the model. Not in any 4-cylinder class, anyway.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 118010
What I Drive: 2000 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FastFocus50 Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the great advice and tips !! I'll drop by the Ford dealership to see what they can tell me about the camber. I agree the easiest is probably a longer lower control arm. The inertia switch is going bye bye because if it is triggered even once, I could get nailed from the cars behind me and by the time I pushed a button and re-started, I'd be to the back of the pack. I'll use the wiring for my fuel cut-off switch.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

And Yes, I will be running at the Autumn Colours Classic at Peterborough Speedway on October 11, 12 and 13th. I got a provisional starting spot in the July "Chase For The Colours" race. I hope to have my Focus ready and racing by then.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,964, Level 60
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 30%
Well ford and ford racing never offered aftermarket arms or arms on longer length.

the stock arms have the ball joint riveted in the arm. You can drill them out and then slot the hole or move them out a hair and then put the replacement in. This will make it still a stock arm with a OEM replacement ball.

But can you sleep at night knowing you are altering the suspension outside of what the rules are intending?

Something goes with adjusting the strut tower. sure you can have a shop change it up, but you have altered it from stock.

How long have you been racing? I bet give your self a few more years and hours on the track you can make up what 1-2 degrees you may be able to get from these "unorthodox" methods.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Sorry, I raced for five years and my bone-stock car was no match for the competition once I moved up a class. All the driving experience in the world won't make up for the huge cams, flashed ECUs, offset wheels, and other stuff that now passes as legal...or at least doesn't get teched. And I know your track has the same problem because that Acura that won last year was stupid fast and nowhere near stock. You can blame Ottawa--we used to come beat you guys every year because it was "home track rules", so eventually you changed your rules to match ours. Now we're all allowing almost anything, and it's gotten too expensive to race 4-cylinder!

I raced the B Main a few years back and managed to just hold onto 5th ahead of a pack of 8 locals to make it into the A Main--one of the most nerve-wracking races ever, but man was it fun!

Come say hello--I'm the redhead crewing the 97 Ministock of Dentman Dave.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,964, Level 60
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 30%
yes when you are moving up a class in the same vehicle it will make a difference. because people are now racing to the very edge of what is allowed in that class. That is a completely different story. From my reading he is ditching his 323 for the focus. no mention of a change in class, but he says the 323 is getting him in the top 5 but he wants the top 2. So this is assuming same class even with the different car.

and if he wants to be in the championship and wins i bet you his car is going to get as inspected as it can.

question is how do you feel at the end of the day knowing something you did to your car should have pushed you in to the next class yet you were able to fool inspectors. I have no opinion 1 way or the other. its left up to the racer that knows he won the race due to having a car that really is not qualified to be in that class just because the inspectors were "fooled".

Its all up to the driver.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

As Leora83 said, no amount of experience will make up for racing an oval with only 1 or 2 degrees of camber. You simply won't have the necessary grip to get through the corners fast and if you try, it will chew the outer edges of the front tire off. I know from trying with the Mazda until I was finally able to get the 4 degrees. No more overheating the right front. I'm going to see what the replacement lower ball joints look like and how they attach. Sounds like an easy and legal solution to elongate the mounting holes to get the necessary camber. After all, ball joints wear out and need to be replaced. And I don't call that cheating. Everyone finds a way to get the adjustment, and yes some to bend or break the rules.
I'll sleep just fine with the trophy on the shelf !!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
FastFocus50
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Yes, I'm staying in the Four Fun class. I don't have the time or money to move up to Mini Stock (yet). I'll see if I can find you at The Colours race. The Four Funs pit in the back field.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.