2013+ Focus ST FRPP Tune info - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Of course it's all a moot point if you don't care about the warranty and plan on ripping out the stock parts and throwing them away for aftermarket ones, then you'd be better served by the aftermarket tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

Points 3,119, Level 34
Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It's no where near as half baked as you believe it to be. I'm sorry but what are your qualifications to judge this?
A decade of tuning and wrenching N/A and turbocharged sport compacts? The last 15 years of talking theory with shop owners, engineers, and developers of parts for said turbocharged vehicles?

It's not on paper, but I've been sharing knowledge with some pretty intelligent people in the industry for many years.
- Jody -
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,903, Level 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
A decade of tuning and wrenching N/A and turbocharged sport compacts? The last 15 years of talking theory with shop owners, engineers, and developers of parts for said turbocharged vehicles?

It's not on paper, but I've been sharing knowledge with some pretty intelligent people in the industry for many years.
Ok then, from what I understand the stock turbo charger is already nearly maxed out for boost pressure stock at 21 psig on overboost, so they can't just turn up the pressure and expect to see more flow or power when it isn't there.

You might be able to hit 26 psig with the stock K03 turbo, but it's not likely to be good for it.

The ST also uses a torque management schema in the PCM that can make most bolt on modifications useless without some sort of calibration change. It's not as simple as commanding the boost control to allow for more pressure.

Since it's easier to make power when it's colder the car would therefore run less boost to make the required power, and more boost when it's hot up to the limits of the system.

I'll reserve judgement until actually seeing their numbers, but it would appear that if the scaling factor is correct they were blowing away the stage 1 or stock mechanical level tunes from just about everyone on the low to mid range although they left things a bit closer to stock on the higher end of the rev range.

That doesn't look lazy to me, it kind of makes the other aftermarket tuners appear lazy on their stock hardware level tunes, but then again the Ford racing tunes require a minimum of 91 octane at all times if the Mustang calibrations are anything to go by.

Either way since you've got an N/A I'm not sure why you're being so negative about the Ford racing calibration that wasn't even released yet.

I just wanted to share the information I had found about it, good bad or indifferent.

Not many people run their cars to 6800 rpm between every single shift, and with peak torque well below that, and peak horsepower right around 5500 rpm there isn't much need to wind it out that way.

Despite the lowered compression ratio of the ST vs the N/A GDI Ti-VCT engine the ST pulls stronger from low rpms and feels almost diesel like in its torque delivery.

Stock it's very fun, and I've heard that with a tune and a few other bits and pieces it's even more fun.

Either way I will reserve judgement until seeing real numbers or experiencing it for my self.

Sometimes the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on and you've still got to pay to play so even if it is covered under warranty that doesn't mean they won't give you hell about it.

See Cobb's tuning guide for the accesstuner software for the Focus ST.

Quote:
The Ford Focus ST ECU is torque and load based, meaning it uses a complex routine to look at several
tables based on conditions to achieve its target torque utilizing a dynamic boost level. (Barometric
Pressure, Ambient Temp, Charge Air Temp. Etc...)
There are many limits and targets surrounding torque and these are what are typically manipulated in
order increase horsepower and torque. The main controls for the boost system are in the “Boost Control Tables” folder. You will raise many of these values to increase boost as you begin tuning. You will need to utilize the wastegate parameters to keep the system “in-check”. The wastegate duty cycle system on the Focus ST is PID controlled. Making large or incorrect adjustments to the wastegate system can result in throttle closures (over-boosting) or under-boosting. We will go into wastegate control in just a moment.
https://accessecu.com/support/docs/t...scriptions.pdf
Old 09-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

Points 3,119, Level 34
Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34 Points: 3,119, Level: 34
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Suss, I completely agree with everything you've said, your theory is sound, and dynamics are spot on.

Looking at the graph, the power levels from stock to tuned are negligibly different from 4800~ to redline, which is where you will be most times during spirited driving with a close ratio 6 speed like the ST, except during first gear, and corner exiting. It's great to have the extra torque during these two parts of driving, for sure.

If there is actually a demand torque level built into the ECU, and it's calibrated to be able to tell when it gets there, why can't FRP simply plug in 325 ft LBS, do a few pulls to make sure fuel and spark are in check for that, and watch the bucks roll in? The can, and that's all this tune appears to be. Add 30% torque demand, tune what changes or goes out of calibration because of that, and whammo. This is what I see FRP did here.

The turbo is probably blowing the exact same CFM from 3k to redline, which is why torque(and mathematically hp) falls off so badly up top. The balancing act of the CFM offered by the turbo, and the amount actually ingested by the motor are a sliding rule effect that on a small turbo can be quite complicated.

I know it's not what is being pinpointed by this thread, as the biggest plus of this tune is possibly warranty security, but just personal opinion, damn the warranty, if you're sticking with the K03 for the time being, get a more efficient FMIC, hard pipe kit, downpipe, good flowing exhaust, tune for each piece as they are installed, and let the system breathe as well as you can while you save for a real turbo if your goal is moar moar moar! ;)
- Jody -
Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

Points 440, Level 8
Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I'm less concerned about peak horsepower than the area under the curve and the increase in the available torque which although it's not lacking on the stock ST, the torque curve is much larger with the tune.

It's the area under the curve that really matters, and it's looking pretty nice so far, although there aren't numbers on that version of the chart.
Yes I realize average torque/hp is the most important, I was just commenting on a earlier post on the small peak hp increase.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,903, Level 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
So the next item on the board is packaging. Part numbers will be available soon. This is the official packaging, You can buy the Snorkel, air Filter, Procal & plugs as a package.

And then you can just the the Plugs and Procal. I though that you could get the Procal by itself, but that is not what my source is telling me.

Dan's information is correct about waiting for the CARB certification. My source, then goes on to say it might be until the end of the year before that happens. Part numbers will be out soon (Prices...) So, line up your pockets for this Christmas!

CURVES

Ford Racing was kind enough to provide some graphs RE: their Calibration. In order to get these gains you must have the Snorkel, Filter, the Colder Heat Range plugs, and their Procal. These gains were not done with their exhaust. My source says that it was not needed to achieve the gains. Quoted to say, "We have found that cat back exhaust modifications on this package do not result in a statistically significant power increase."

Here is some notes on their calibration:

Quote:
Ford Racing
*Note that our baseline run is much higher than every other competitor’s baseline run because we are trying to show the truth as opposed to artificially making our FRPP calibration look better than reality. If a competitor is showing peak hp gains with their calibration, take a close look at their baseline run. Odds are it will be less than our baseline run because they ran their baseline with hot cats, or hot manifold charge temperature in order to make their calibration look better. Odds are also good that their peak hp number with their calibration is pretty much the same as ours (if performed on a Dynojet, as ours was). Note also that turbocharged cars should NOT be SAE or STD corrected using the traditional method because the altitude compensation in the traditional correction factor calculations will artificially inflate the turbocharged car power level relative to reality.

Quote:
Ford Racing
Data was collected in an environmentally (temperature, humidity, and altitude) controlled chamber in an actual vehicle at sea level equivalent altitude.
Their Calibration is 50 state emissions and OBD legal, and has passed Ford Racing's engine durability test on engine dyno.

Ford Racing wanted to point out that, their Calibration will be warranted. Also that if other tuners are confident in their product, why do they not provide warranty?

Any question you have, we can rely to the Ford Racing. I hope you enjoy the information! Thank you Ford Racing for the information and support.
http://fordstnation.com/2013-sema-co...tml#post100683

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ration_boosts/

Those were a bit less impressive, but he didn't have just the FRPP CAI, k&n filter, and colder plugs with the pro-cal tool, and their cat back exhaust might have negatively affected the calibration, etc...

Last edited by suss6052; 11-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
CRP16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105951
What I Drive: 2013 PB ST3

Points 188, Level 3
Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 CRP16 Good Standing Member
I will definitely be buying this. Any word on a release date? Forgive me if this has already been mentioned lol.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,903, Level 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 33%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP16 View Post
I will definitely be buying this. Any word on a release date? Forgive me if this has already been mentioned lol.
Release date isn't official yet, looking like 1st quarter 2014 as they were still wating on CARB approvals, but it could be before the end of the year as well based on info from SEMA and what I've heard on the other forums.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
1fastang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110597
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 227, Level 4
Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 1fastang Good Standing Member
I've been following this Ford Racing Power Kit, which we now know is called the Ford Racing Performance Calibration. I've found it on a Ford Racing parts site, although it looks like a vendor not directly from Ford. Not that it matters but here it is, which shows two kits one with the pro cal tool, cold air intake and colder plugs, the other has all of the above and a Ford Racing cat back exhaust.
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/54.htm

Last edited by 1fastang; 11-23-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #20
1fastang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110597
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 227, Level 4
Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 1fastang Good Standing Member
Would anyone know how this tune will effect the gas mileage. I use my car for a daily driver so mileage is of a concern.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.