Official Winter Tires Thread: Please post any winter questions here! - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #101
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I tried something brand new for this winter and must say I cannot imagine a better snow tire; Goodyear Ultragrip Winter. Not sure if Tirerack carries them so if not, sorry to our sponsor, but I had ZERO issues on snow or ice with these. I barely ever saw the TC light unlike the past 3 winters even with 1st gear starts. I'm used to having to use 2nd gear to start in the winter. I had to commute 50 miles each way all winter and I was able to set the cruise at 70 and fly by everyone. The grip was so good I spent most of my time in the unplowed lane. I cannot say enough about these tires, especially since this was the first year they were produced and they were so inexpensive. I paid under $60/ea for them shipped. 11/32 tread, just as quiet as my all seasons, soft ride because I plus sized them. Did I mention how great they are? Lol

Sent from Gods Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #102
bflesher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84132
What I Drive: 2002 sangria red zx3, 02 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 bflesher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had the Goodyears also. May not be as good as blizzaks but no complaints at all and they were not too bad in the summer either.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #103
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Bliky Good Standing Member
Year: 2012
Make: Ford
Model: Focus Titanium
Location: Currently North Jersey, going to school next fall in Willimantic, Connecticut.
Tires only or winter package: Not sure, possibly winter package.

Hey, so right now i have 17' wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position tires with about 6000 miles on them... I should probably have another 5000 or so on them by winter time. I'm planning to go to college next year at Eastern Connecticut State University and I know the winters up there are quite a bit harsher than they are in New Jersey. The car did okay this past winter with the Bridgestones but honestly I only took it out once. This coming school year I will both be away, and very well might need to drive either home, to places around Willimantic or other places in the Connecticut snow.

I have been thinking for a while about going up to an 18' tire and wheel. This would allow me to use the 17' wheels for snow tires which could save me some money as the 18' wheels might be more of a summer tire. My first question is, is there a huge difference in handling and grip if I use my 17' wheel VS getting a 16' steel wheel?

For anyone who lives around that area of CT; Do I even need snow tires or will my all season performance Potenzas work fine? Are the winters that bad?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #104
sambrower
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109589
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 sambrower Good Standing Member
I am in Germany and am picking up my new Focus ST tomorrow and have a month to get winter tires on the car. I haven't used winter tires before and with the ST being a performance car I ordered a set of 235/40R-18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL tires. If anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear about it!

Year: 2013
Make: Ford
Model: Focus ST
Tires only or winter package: set of 235/40R-18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D XL
Rally Revolution, Military Crew
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #105
benoit230
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118823
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, ZX4 w/SAP

FF Reputation: 1 benoit230 Good Standing Member
Year:2007
Make:Ford
Model:Focus ZX4 SE
Tires only or winter package: Studable Tires and Rims
Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #106
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Make: ford
Model: focus
Tires only or winter package: Tires

I have the 215/55/16 on my car, and I'm trying to decide between the continental extreme winter contacts, or the conti/ or gislaved nord frost 100, the thing I am having trouble deciding is if the conti extremes will provide enough traction for our winter season, because in Alberta we have the Chinooks (heats up and cools/ snow covered roads to clear)so our weather is very very variable from day to night , from morning to afternoon. I am worried that the extremes won't provide me with enough ice traction.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #107
benoit230
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118823
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, ZX4 w/SAP

FF Reputation: 1 benoit230 Good Standing Member
Is this still an active thread?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #108
timeatkuu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112507
What I Drive: '12 BlCndy Ti Hatch DCT w/ Hand Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 timeatkuu Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Make: ford
Model: focus
Tires only or winter package: Tires

I have the 215/55/16 on my car, and I'm trying to decide between the continental extreme winter contacts, or the conti/ or gislaved nord frost 100, the thing I am having trouble deciding is if the conti extremes will provide enough traction for our winter season, because in Alberta we have the Chinooks (heats up and cools/ snow covered roads to clear)so our weather is very very variable from day to night , from morning to afternoon. I am worried that the extremes won't provide me with enough ice traction.
I'm from Ontario, but from what I hear, I can only imagine your winter is worse than what we have here. Is it legal to stud / chain wrap your tires? I know in Northern regions of Ontario it is. If so, look into tires that can be studded so you can get that extra traction you're looking for on the ice. I've heard great things about Nokian tires. Not sure on the pricing though...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #109
Cdnsubmariner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119365
What I Drive: 2013, Red, Focus, Sedan, SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cdnsubmariner Good Standing Member
2013 se

Hello Miles,

I have a 2013 Sedan SE with stock 17" wheels - 215/50R-17. I would like to purchase a winter tire package. What are my options and sizes I should consider if I minus size to 15" or 16"? Can I go to 15" wheels? I like the Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires and black steel wheels.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #110
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
16"is 215/55/16, 15" would be 215/60/15, within reason the 15" will be out about a km an hour.

Bookmarks & Social Networks