Ford Racing handling package thoughts? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
michalcapar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118978
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Flexfuel

FF Reputation: 1 michalcapar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Racing handling package thoughts?

Hey guys, Im looking at picking up this package for my 2012 focus Ti. If you've installed these what are your thoughts and concerns if any? how did you like them? Also looking at possible changing out the springs on this package with something else.. suggestion??

Also if you have coilover alternatives im open for that too

aaannd GO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I don't have them, but I wouldn't go that route unless you are highly concerned with maintaining warranty. Aside from the cost of the package, you will be having to pay the cost of Ford labor to have it installed.

Here is what I would do-

ST front struts
Ti HP rear shocks
Eibach Pro Kit (.8" and more expensive) or Sportline (1.5" and less expensive) lowering springs
Steeda RSB
Utilize local shop with good reputation if you don't feel comfortable doing the swap or have the necessary tools.

All things considered, this is the best bang for your buck suspension for the non-ST Mk3. You can source the Ford parts from Village Ford, the RSB from Steeda, and the springs can be sourced pretty much wherever. If you contact the vendors through PM on here you can ask if there are any discounts or promotions going on and generally save some additional cash as well.

Ultimately, this route will cost hundreds less and give you really good handling. Don't worry about getting a front bar as that will wash out the handling benefit you get from installing the rear.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
michalcapar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118978
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Flexfuel

FF Reputation: 1 michalcapar Good Standing Member
thanks for the quick response. I was looking at the st shocks all around but that looks like a good combination. After thinking about the winters we have up here in Alberta maybe adjustables might be the way to go. I've been hearing some good things about the ST coilovers for the mk3, and they're only 800~ from tirerack. what are your thoughts on those?? Im new to the focus and modding a very newer cars. Ive only ever built a skyline, 240 and now my current project a mr2 so any input would be great. This focus is a DD and I don't mind spending alot, but not too much lol
Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
ST (the car) shocks won't fit as the ST has a different rear suspension than the NA Focus.

I don't recall hearing anything about the ST (the company) coilovers in either direction. They look like they would be a reasonable solution.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
evilO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118681
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 evilO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalcapar View Post
thanks for the quick response. I was looking at the st shocks all around but that looks like a good combination. After thinking about the winters we have up here in Alberta maybe adjustables might be the way to go. I've been hearing some good things about the ST coilovers for the mk3, and they're only 800~ from tirerack. what are your thoughts on those?? Im new to the focus and modding a very newer cars. Ive only ever built a skyline, 240 and now my current project a mr2 so any input would be great. This focus is a DD and I don't mind spending alot, but not too much lol
I had ST Coilovers on my 2009 A6. Great product and made by KW. Only difference between the STs and the KWs (Variant 1) is the different finish. STs are not the Inox finish but rather Zinc. Internals are the same as KW V1. Excellent product.

Not to mention the current rebate on them:

https://biz.kwautomotive.com/media/w...te_current.pdf

^^^Oopss... just read it. Offer has expired

Looks like you can pick them up from TireRack for about $866.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Creative
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108024
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Creative Good Standing Member
Bilstein shocks and H&R springs with white line rear sway bar and adjustable end links for both front and rear sway bar

As the old saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I don't have them, but I wouldn't go that route unless you are highly concerned with maintaining warranty. Aside from the cost of the package, you will be having to pay the cost of Ford labor to have it installed.

Here is what I would do-

ST front struts
Ti HP rear shocks
Eibach Pro Kit (.8" and more expensive) or Sportline (1.5" and less expensive) lowering springs
Steeda RSB
Utilize local shop with good reputation if you don't feel comfortable doing the swap or have the necessary tools.

All things considered, this is the best bang for your buck suspension for the non-ST Mk3. You can source the Ford parts from Village Ford, the RSB from Steeda, and the springs can be sourced pretty much wherever. If you contact the vendors through PM on here you can ask if there are any discounts or promotions going on and generally save some additional cash as well.

Ultimately, this route will cost hundreds less and give you really good handling. Don't worry about getting a front bar as that will wash out the handling benefit you get from installing the rear.
Do you or do you know anyone who has this setup?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
I bought the Focus handling package from Ford Racing just a few weeks ago thru Steve at Tousley Ford. I could not be happier. Cost was about $175 under the advertised price on other websites.

Not to contradict dyno85 or the others, I chose this package as this car is my daily driver and I wanted a firmer ride, better handling, lower center of gravity, but I also wanted a comfortable ride, and a ride that would handle the twisties in north GA mountains.

I researched all the brands that have been mentioned and ultimately decided that the Ford Racing package would serve me well.

I have a bud at a Ford dealer who did the installation, minus the front sway bar. And he also installed the eFocus rear motor mount. Total cost to me for labor was $400. During the install, they discovered something with the end links and replaced those under warranty.

After a year of debating wheel size & tires, I finally decided to keep 16's for now and wrap them in Continental Extreme Contact DWS to complement the suspension work.

A buddy recently drove my car and commented that it felt more like a "3 series BMW" than a Ford--which tickled me.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswelltop View Post
I bought the Focus handling package from Ford Racing just a few weeks ago thru Steve at Tousley Ford. I could not be happier. Cost was about $175 under the advertised price on other websites.

Not to contradict dyno85 or the others, I chose this package as this car is my daily driver and I wanted a firmer ride, better handling, lower center of gravity, but I also wanted a comfortable ride, and a ride that would handle the twisties in north GA mountains.

I researched all the brands that have been mentioned and ultimately decided that the Ford Racing package would serve me well.

I have a bud at a Ford dealer who did the installation, minus the front sway bar. And he also installed the eFocus rear motor mount. Total cost to me for labor was $400. During the install, they discovered something with the end links and replaced those under warranty.

After a year of debating wheel size & tires, I finally decided to keep 16's for now and wrap them in Continental Extreme Contact DWS to complement the suspension work.

A buddy recently drove my car and commented that it felt more like a "3 series BMW" than a Ford--which tickled me.
by handling package, do you mean the 18" focus wheels package? not the Ford Racing package?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
Focus Handling package offered by Ford Racing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks