SCCA Solo National Chamionship wrap up #8 STF - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
BriK_
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115842
FF Reputation: 1 BriK_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nice read and congrats on your finish. I might try to get to Nats in the coming years.

A couple points of your setup surprised me so would you mind explaining your tuning process and/or thought process? Qualifiers: I have a Mk3 Focus as a DD so I haven't researched anything on setup, nor am I aware if you have a bigger build thread with this info. I run STU in a front-heavy AWD car which is prone to understeer from the factory, so the tuning is probably somewhat similar. Enough qualifications.

My first question is on camber-- I'm surprised you're running so much in the back since I'd assume less camber would help the rear rotate more. I'm at -3.0 front, -1.5 rear at the moment.

Second is on swaybars. Logic is typically to go soft in front so I was kind of surprised to see both front and rear. Did you do it to help with transitions? Turn-in?

Happy to share my setup in return if it'd help anything.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Great job!

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55097
What I Drive: 2000 Zetec sedan

FF Reputation: 1 STS-focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully313 View Post

I still can't believe how well you do with that thing. No matter what you put into it, its the nut behind the wheel.
Thanks Sully, Thanks BriK and Thanks WRC Fan!!! The nut behind the wheel makes all the difference in autox! BriK, as a far as a build thread, no, never made one. This car has been pieced together over the last 6-7 years to make its current form. The camber settings for FWD vs AWD should be completely different I would think. As far as getting the rear to rotate with more negative camber my theory is the less tire on the ground the less friction to stop rotation. Add a couple of the biggest rear bars to stiffen everything up in the rear to aid rotation. I usually run one full turn off full stiff for my shocks in the rear depending on course and conditions and adjust rotation with tire PSI then shock settings. The front with the big bar and the struts full stiff does push so I usually run 1/4 to half turn off full stiff and again dial out push with tire PSI then softening shocks if still pushing. From there its just nailing braking and throttle points and drive the car.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
2013 SCCA National Championship 6th Place Trophy Winner in STF
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Milwaukee STF Winner
2013 SCCA National Match Tour Peru 3rd Trophy
2013, 2012 Chicago Region SCCA STF Season Champion
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
BriK_
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS-focus View Post
The camber settings for FWD vs AWD should be completely different I would think. As far as getting the rear to rotate with more negative camber my theory is the less tire on the ground the less friction to stop rotation. Add a couple of the biggest rear bars to stiffen everything up in the rear to aid rotation. I usually run one full turn off full stiff for my shocks in the rear depending on course and conditions and adjust rotation with tire PSI then shock settings. The front with the big bar and the struts full stiff does push so I usually run 1/4 to half turn off full stiff and again dial out push with tire PSI then softening shocks if still pushing. From there its just nailing braking and throttle points and drive the car.
Interesting. I agree with, and have had success with, using tire pressure to adjust behavior; same with shock settings (though I tend to set them and forget them for the entire season). Agreed less rear contact patch = (generally) more rear rotation, but I've seen most people (in both FWD and AWD) achieve that with less negative camber; I've not heard the same theory applied to more negative camber. It seems to work for you though so it may be something worth trying out myself.

FWIW, removing tire pressure from the equation, I use alignment, spring rate and shock settings to aid rotation and not really swaybars. It's all relative, so FWIW, but I run 700 lb/in front springs, 850 lb/in rear springs (this is also due to different motion ratios in front and back); I set the front dampers to 6/12 compression, 8/12 rebound, rear dampers to 10/12 compression, 12/12 rebound. Stock front swaybar, and mild rear swaybar set to the middle of three settings.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

IMHO It sounds like you have that EVO set up lovely and exactly what my thoughts would be settings-wise for an AWD sportscar with springs. Are you running STU with it? One of my best friends has a IX MR, I love that car, he does not autox it though.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
BriK_
Focus Rookie

Quote:
IMHO It sounds like you have that EVO set up lovely and exactly what my thoughts would be settings-wise for an AWD sportscar with springs. Are you running STU with it? One of my best friends has a IX MR, I love that car, he does not autox it though.
Thanks! I love the Evo as well; such a potent car. I do run in STU but only locally at the moment. I just got serious this past year and have been steadily moving up the ranks, so I think another year or two under my belt and I may feel confident enough to go to Nationals-- I don't want to make such a big commitment until I'm confident I can make a decent showing.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
STS-focus
Focus Enthusiast

I just posted some video from last weekend here http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=306676&page=8

you can see how my suspension setup works in the rain on sealcoat.

As far as Nats, you just got to do it. Even if you are not an alien just go do it! You will be more relaxed at every other event you ever go to forever because it wont be Nats, until its Nats again. This was my second time there, first in my car. I will go every year I can until I die. I love it.
#87 STF 2000 Focus Sedan
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
ScreaminE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119805
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 ScreaminE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Nice read!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
tehmaxfactr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 147194
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 1 tehmaxfactr Good Standing Member
Quote:
I just posted some video from last weekend here http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=306676&page=8

you can see how my suspension setup works in the rain on sealcoat.

As far as Nats, you just got to do it. Even if you are not an alien just go do it! You will be more relaxed at every other event you ever go to forever because it wont be Nats, until its Nats again. This was my second time there, first in my car. I will go every year I can until I die. I love it.
Last year was my first year. I enjoyed seeing your car run out there, it was pretty quick. I also will go every year!

Bookmarks & Social Networks