Tire Review: Falken Azenis FK453 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,822, Level 39
Points: 3,822, Level: 39 Points: 3,822, Level: 39 Points: 3,822, Level: 39
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tire Review: Falken Azenis FK453

I had originally decided to keep a single set of wheels for this car and run all-season tires all the time. After completely obliterating a set of Kumho Ecsta 4X in less than a year, I've changed my mind and got a dedicated set of "off-season" tires.

For my summer wheels, I had originally ordered the FK452 but they were discontinued in 215/45-17 so DTD bumped me up to the brand new 453 at no extra cost.

With about 1000 miles on them in daily driving situations with dry and wet surfaces, I have to say these are some of the best tires I've ever driven on.

Initially I found them to be a bit soft and slow to respond, but after some time and adjusting air pressure they are now quick responding and very quiet. The biggest pro I give them is the noise levels. Typically, a tire going over an expansion joint or other form of surface flaw will "slap" but these give you a muted "thump" which I very much prefer. The car feels solidly connected to the road and the grip is top-level. You'd be hard pressed to find a measurably better performing summer tire in this price range.

On a road trip they were compliant to changing surfaces, not at all twitchy like some high-grip tires can be.

In the wet they do a great job of moving water at high speed and the compound is soft enough that you won't even notice a difference in grip just driving around town.

I have NOT had the chance to really push on these tires in a controlled or track environment. Once I do I will be sure to report back my experiences but as far as I'm concerned, anyone looking for a summer tire that outperforms its price tag, your search is over. I highly recommend these tires.

As these are a relatively new tire, I'm interested to know if any other Focus owners have purchased these and what your initial experiences are. Putting these on my lowered, 2700lb SES might be a completely different experience than someone with a 3200lb ST hatch. I've read good and bad reviews of these tires in various places online but I have to say my experience so far is positive.

2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Bookmarks & Social Networks