03 SVT Post Clutch Replacement RPM Issue - Kind of long - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112746
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Mike O Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
03 SVT Post Clutch Replacement RPM Issue - Kind of long

I just had the clutch replaced in my 03 SVT.

The car had an O-Reilly's clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, etc in it as can be seen here:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1351&ppt=C0015

There was a leak from the main seal and the bottom end of the engine that had gotten onto the clutch plate and was causing slippage so that was why this was being addressed.

I obtained a LUK 07-175 OEM style clutch for the shop to install this time primarily due to cost and the fact that LUK appears to be the OEM provider for Ford for these parts.

After getting my car back this week I find that the revs don't settle with the LUK clutch as fast as they did with the Power Torque clutch. What I mean is that with fst shifts at high revs (defined as above 3500 rpm) the revs don't settle down before the shift is completed. When I'm shifting at 4000+ rpm the revs hang at that level while I complete the upshift where before they used to settle similar to how they currently settle on shifts at 3000 rpm and below.

My question is could this be a difference between the Power Torque clutch/flywheel compared to the LUK clutch/flywheel? Or is it possible that there is a setting adjustment that is causing this rpm hold at this level before it lets it settle.

I've only owned this car since April this year and have read much about how the dual mass flywheel design has this effect and thought I was seeing it with the power torque clutch/flywheel in place and in how slow it would settle. But this latest condition is notably more extreme and is throwing my shift timing way off. I can compensate for it but it seems extreme, to the point that I'm concerned something else is going on.

One thing that did occur when the dealer had this all back together is that they experienced an O2 sensor failure. I authorized them to put in a new sensor and that supposedly got the code to go away. I'm wondering if they touched more relative to the idle set up or something. Is there anything in the idle settings that I could talk to the dealer about that might get this back to what I think is normal response?

Other than this the car is running fine.

Thanks for any input.

Mike O.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

To add to this, what is the normal RPM settling response at higher rpms for a stock SVT? Should it hesitate so much as to affect your shift timing or should it settle equally throughout the RPM range?

Mike O.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
My svt is stock, when she is warmed up and at a complete stop she idles at around 800 rpm. I just had my clutch replaced and flywheel with a luk set. Pretty sure the same as yours. When I shift at like 6k rpm my rpm does drop but not extremely fast. I only notice my rpm drop a bit fast at round 3-4k range. Not sure if this helped at all but worth sharing.
Whoever owned my car before never changed the clutch. I too recently just bought my car. owned for almost 3 months.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

I'd also like to add I had to re-learn how to drive my car again. That new clutch made it feel like a completely different machine. After a few days of driving it you should get used to it.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierceintent View Post
I'd also like to add I had to re-learn how to drive my car again. That new clutch made it feel like a completely different machine. After a few days of driving it you should get used to it.
Thanks for the encouragement. I've been driving it for a week now and am back used to it.

It turned out the shop had it for almost three weeks. I was partly at fault for that. In the meantime I spent most of those three weeks behind the wheel of my 6 speed '98 Trans Am. After driving the SVT for a few hundred miles it all came back to me. But boy did it seem different for a while.

Mike O.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah my mechanic had it for like 2 full days. Also did the seal, he recommended that. Solved alot of issues. had a flickering brake light then after two weeks the clutch goes. Also solved the issue with my car taking a long time to start.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
I just put this clutch in. Mine is normal, only thing I don't like it the light pedal compared to my original clutch. Hopefully it stiffens up. Clutch has been bled multiple times
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Mike O
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill2489 View Post
I just put this clutch in. Mine is normal, only thing I don't like it the light pedal compared to my original clutch. Hopefully it stiffens up. Clutch has been bled multiple times
I'm thinking you may need to get used to the light clutch pedal. Frankly I like it.

My last long term car was a 1995 Saab 900S which had a cable clutch arrangement. Talk about stiff. That was the only thing that bothered me about that car other than the $500 repair bills anytime something came up.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
Maybe , I just can't believe the tsb style is so much lighter than the old style.

Bookmarks & Social Networks