SVT Starts Hard, but starts everytime - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Jon_SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34787
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT Focus

Points 587, Level 11
Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jon_SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question SVT Starts Hard, but starts everytime

Hey All,

I've been having an issue with the SVT lately. Whenever I start the car, and it starts everytime, it starts very hard. Like the battery is dieing and you would need a charge. The battery is absolutely fine, its only a year or so old and has a full charge! My alternator was changed out about 2 weeks ago and its a Bosch NEW Alternator (I don't deal with the Reman crap anymore).

One thing to note, I do have a Battery relocate. Could that be causing the hard starting because of the increase in resistance? Even before the battery relocate it still started "lazy" I guess you could say.

I can take a video of the start if that helps....... any thoughts?

-Battery is 1 yr old
-Alternator is brand new
-I've got the big 3 (both grounds and new alternator wire @ 4awg wire)
-Battery relocated into trunk with 0awg wire from front to rear of the car

Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Jack The Ripper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81179
What I Drive: '04 SVT ZX5 & '10 Mustang V6

FF Reputation: 1 Jack The Ripper Good Standing Member
Have you checked all your grounds just to make sure nothing is loose or dirty? I'd double check all your grounds/power just to make sure nothing is rubbing against something, or causing it to rub and short.
SoCal Crew #666
Old 09-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Jon_SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34787
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT Focus

Points 587, Level 11
Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Jon_SVT Good Standing Member
Grounds are all good.... theres 3 that I can think of.... 1 next to the alternator on the left side of the motor..... 1 near the right side of the motor grounded to the body..... and I have 1 from the battery (which is in the trunk) to the little thing that sticks up thats supposed to hold the spare tire down (threaded hole).

I guess I could try grinding MORE paint off it, I grinded the paint off it so its a better ground. Whats a good way to determine the quality of a ground. That one COULD be suspect....
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
boardliquid01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114884
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Ford Focus SVT EAP

Points 340, Level 6
Points: 340, Level: 6 Points: 340, Level: 6 Points: 340, Level: 6
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 boardliquid01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A buddy of mine had this same problem on his 03 SVT. We chased poor grounds for a while with not finding any problems. I decided to take the serpentine belt off and try starting it as I have seen seized pulleys simulate a hard start/ no start at the dealer. Started perfectly every time with the serpentine belt off. Rotated the idler, tensioner, alternator, water pump, power steering, and A/C pulley by hand and found no problems.

So next was to try rotating the pulleys while the engine was running with the serpentine belt off(being very careful of the crank). That is when we found the A/C clutch was engaging while starting and while the car was running(shorted wire). His A/C compressor was also internally damaged and had to be replaced.

You could try starting it with the serpentine belt off and see if it starts with ease. The A/C compressor clutch or alternator could be the cause as well as seized pulley.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
SVT_Freak11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30594
What I Drive: 2002 Infrared SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVT_Freak11 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_SVT View Post
Hey All,

I've been having an issue with the SVT lately. Whenever I start the car, and it starts everytime, it starts very hard. Like the battery is dieing and you would need a charge. The battery is absolutely fine, its only a year or so old and has a full charge! My alternator was changed out about 2 weeks ago and its a Bosch NEW Alternator (I don't deal with the Reman crap anymore).

One thing to note, I do have a Battery relocate. Could that be causing the hard starting because of the increase in resistance? Even before the battery relocate it still started "lazy" I guess you could say.

I can take a video of the start if that helps....... any thoughts?

-Battery is 1 yr old
-Alternator is brand new
-I've got the big 3 (both grounds and new alternator wire @ 4awg wire)
-Battery relocated into trunk with 0awg wire from front to rear of the car
Since you have replaced the alternator I'm guessing you are somewhere north of 125k miles on the car. Have you ever replaced the starter? It's possible the brushes in the starter are worn enough to cause poor starter performance but not worn enough to cause complete failure. Just a thought.

Bookmarks & Social Networks