radio install help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
spacegravity4me
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 30431
What I Drive: Gray 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 42 spacegravity4me Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
radio install help

So I got tired of my stock unit and decided to buy a nice little replacement. Decided to go with a jvc kw-hdr81bt double din stereo. Nothing fancy but just what I needed. Please keep in mind this is my first aftermarket stereo, so I plead ignorance on the subject. I ordered and spent all week super excited to get it. It arrived today and I opened the box to find everything as it should be. One tiny problem though. Apparently when you buy and aftermarket stereo they send you a plug that fits in the back of the unit that has a bunch of free wires that you have to do yourself. I foolishly thought that there must be some kind of vehicle specific adapter harness or something to install it. I am an idiot when it comes to electricity and no good can come of me doing this on my own. Sure it'd be a learning experience but a costly one.

My question is am I missing something? In the instructions it says that vehicle specific harnesses are available from metra but when I go online and search I don't find what I think I should. Do i need to just take this to a pro at an audio shop or is there something I can order to make this plug and play? Dumb question, pretty sure I'll be going to an installer lol. Anyone know how much they charge to splice it all together? I'm just trying to get some perspective here. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
You need a vehicle specific adapter like this one?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207055...s.html?tp=2977

I cant say for sure on a 05 but my 04 also required an antenna adapter. If you go to an installed shop you can buy the stuff from them and still diy. You should be able to find them at best buy too, and MAYBE even walmart.

Get some Butt Connectors and a crimper to splice your wires, or solder them together and cover with shrink wrap or electrical tape.

Where did you but the unit from? If you ordered from Crutchfield and spent $119+ all the installation stuff would have came with the HU for free.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
spacegravity4me
Focus Fanatic

that does look like it'd make this easier. I got the radio off of amazon. I don't know about soldering though. I can crimp though if that will last a while.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you will need a couple parts.
dash kit:
http://metraonline.com/part/95-5812
harness:
http://metraonline.com/part/70-5520

i'm pretty sure the 05-07 doesn't need an antenna adapter. the wires from the harness you have and the metra one are the same colors so just match them together. you'll most likely have several extra wires on the metra harness that you can just cap off and not use.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner
Old 09-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegravity4me View Post
that does look like it'd make this easier. I got the radio off of amazon. I don't know about soldering though. I can crimp though if that will last a while.
Butt connectors will last, lots of people use them, mine has been hooked up that way for 8 years now.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 09-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
spacegravity4me
Focus Fanatic

Okay, had to write this again cause I lost it but it's whatever.

I went on and bought the dash kit and the oem adapter. This is what I have. Looks like just matching colors. I can do that. Np. There is a black wire that says ground coming out of the oem adapter and there is a black wire that says ground coming out of the stereo plug. I'm assuming that I hook these two together and that grounds the entire unit. Am I wrong? Do I need to do another ground wire to the chassis itself?

Second I have this wire that came with the oem adapter I bought yesterday and it seems to fit the smaller plug on the oem wiring harness. It has two rca type wires coming out of the back and some blue wires. What is this for?

Lastly there seems to be an extra cable that was back there behind the radio. It seems to be grounded to the car and has what I am assuming to be a live wire coming out of it. Not sure what this was for. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
spacegravity4me
Focus Fanatic

bump? Could use some help quick if anyone knows about the amp adapter. Trying to get this done today.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Kipp
FocusFest Event Team

Fan#: 31300
What I Drive: 2013 F150 4x4 5.0, 2014 HD 883 Iron

FF Reputation: 9 Kipp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you can do the ground either way. hook those two black wires together or run the ground from the headunit to the chasis. either is fine. all you need to hook together between the two are the red, yellow, black, and the four speaker sets (white, grey, green, purple, and their neg as well). you won't need any of the blue, brown or orange wires.

that second smaller harness is for an oem sub if you have it. would go to the smaller plug that is taped to the oem harness. doesn't look like you have the sub though so you won't need it. the extra harness in the third pic could be for sirius or an aux input adapter. either way it won't work with the aftermarket headunit so you don't need it either.
Midwest Crew #22
Official FocusFest Event Planner

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->